Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just my two cents, but maybe that mannyjr99 guy was onto something with his post and the news that broke overnight.

He wishes manny goodluck on the 2019 season and congrats yesterday evening bc he knows manny officially signed (under secrecy). Announcement tomorrow or whatever? 

Seems to make sense with the massive smoke all of a sudden. 

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

So I've been gone for over an hour. Why is everyone suddenly so optimistic?

Nightengale said Phillies are the clear cut favorite for Harper and barring any surprises he expects the Sox to get Machado. Dave said at this point it would be a surprise if Manny wasn't a White Sox. Mbs1969 said there's good stuff out there but he can't say anything on here quite yet.

Edited by Sockin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

So I've been gone for over an hour. Why is everyone suddenly so optimistic?

Nightengale said something about the Phils being favored for Harper. For future reference, I try to be pretty faithful about putting the serious stuff in the White Sox Whaling Superthread, which is pinned.

• Like 1

Just now, soxfan49 said:

What guy? He admitted to not having sources and even said it's just his feeling.

I know, I was just commenting on the weirdness of it. Bobby Nights is admittedly a mouthpiece, but otherwise its no contest.

He could still sign elsewhere because these things are never over until theyre, but the Sox have to be considered the favorites at this point. Why anyone would think the Phils would sign both is, well silly.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because Bob Nightengale, who apparently usually doesn’t know shit, said the Phillies are the favorite for Harper and may have backed off Machado.

I think people are far more excited because the Philly beat writer said they have moved onto Harper.  I think most of us are pretty mixed on Bob’s report. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think people are far more excited because the Philly beat writer said they have moved onto Harper.  I think most of us are pretty mixed on Bob’s report. 

I think Nightengale knows a bit more than posters here want to give him credit. He has broken plenty. It isn’t a bad thing to believe him. But for some reason the general consensus here is he is a hack. I don’t think that’s accurate.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I think Nightengale knows a bit more than posters here want to give him credit. He has broken plenty. It isn’t a bad thing to believe him. But for some reason the general consensus here is he is a hack. I don’t think that’s accurate.

Bob is the platonic ideal of an "access journalist". He lets agents and GMs use him as a mouthpiece and, in return, gets some juicy info every so often. He isn't a hack, exactly, but you have to read more into what he says than someone like Rosenthal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s fed stuff, sometimes it’s true and sometimes it’s not.  He has to play the plant game to get the breaking stuff.  Just how it works for the most part.

I think it’s crazy that all over Twitter Yankees fans still believe they are going to get Machado despite tons of evidence otherwise. It’s so different than White Sox fans with all the good news we have received being so pessimistic. I’m glad we are optomistic again!

35 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yikes, and he's apparently an Emmy award winning sports anchor with 14K followers?

This is like me saying both for the Sox with three big exceptions:

1.  I don't have twitter.

2.  I don't have any followers

3.  I'm right and he's wrong.

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

Bob is the platonic ideal of an "access journalist". He lets agents and GMs use him as a mouthpiece and, in return, gets some juicy info every so often. He isn't a hack, exactly, but you have to read more into what he says than someone like Rosenthal.

He also can only write milquetoast analysis that chalks everything up to personality and culture. He’s the Dan Pompei if baseball.

He has one of the top baseball writing jobs, I think it’s okay to point out he is no where close to his peers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Getting both would have been a miracle so to expect that would have been senseless. Regardless Machado is the better player so I'd rather have him

Edited by soxfan49

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

True, but it is clear he is being fed BS in this case. He has flipped his opinion 324,947,510,068 times. 

2 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

I hate this mindset. It stops being a game when you're paid to do it, especially at these amounts

I’m not against athletes getting paid big money. They are the very best at what they do in the world. Most people who are in that minuscule percentage do very well for themselves. 

I do think baseball FA is broken. I don’t think Manny Machado signing for $30M a season is one of those reasons. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still amazes me more teams aren’t involved. Or Manny has just refused to grab that 7-8 year deal at $33-35M AAV. 

So many teams I feel like would love to have Manny at 8/$240M. 

Been an interesting several weeks. 

It's not too surprising to be honest. There's some big money teams strapped by their payroll. Boston, LAD, cubs, Angels and Yanks are all out due to their payrolls being near the tax threshold. That's five huge players that aren't in the mix. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Still amazes me more teams aren’t involved. Or Manny has just refused to grab that 7-8 year deal at $33-35M AAV. 

So many teams I feel like would love to have Manny at 8/$240M. 

Been an interesting several weeks. 

If we land Machado at a somewhat reasonable amount, it’s definitely reflects “right time right place” for us.  Most of the big spenders are either maxed out right now or already have quality 3B.  Throw in the character concerns and suddenly his market shrank to only a handful of teams.  We should all be grateful for his playoff shenanigans because that likely saved us some serious money (assuming we land him). 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres