yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Nightengale knows a bit more than posters here want to give him credit. He has broken plenty. It isn’t a bad thing to believe him. But for some reason the general consensus here is he is a hack. I don’t think that’s accurate.

He’s fed stuff, sometimes it’s true and sometimes it’s not.  He has to play the plant game to get the breaking stuff.  Just how it works for the most part.

I think it’s crazy that all over Twitter Yankees fans still believe they are going to get Machado despite tons of evidence otherwise. It’s so different than White Sox fans with all the good news we have received being so pessimistic. I’m glad we are optomistic again!

35 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yikes, and he's apparently an Emmy award winning sports anchor with 14K followers?

This is like me saying both for the Sox with three big exceptions:

1.  I don't have twitter.

2.  I don't have any followers

3.  I'm right and he's wrong.

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

Bob is the platonic ideal of an "access journalist". He lets agents and GMs use him as a mouthpiece and, in return, gets some juicy info every so often. He isn't a hack, exactly, but you have to read more into what he says than someone like Rosenthal.

He also can only write milquetoast analysis that chalks everything up to personality and culture. He’s the Dan Pompei if baseball.

He has one of the top baseball writing jobs, I think it’s okay to point out he is no where close to his peers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Perhaps, but hard to feel too bad for a guy making $30M a year to play a game. 

I hate this mindset. It stops being a game when you're paid to do it, especially at these amounts

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think people are far more excited because the Philly beat writer said they have moved onto Harper.  I think most of us are pretty mixed on Bob’s report. 

Getting both would have been a miracle so to expect that would have been senseless. Regardless Machado is the better player so I'd rather have him

Edited by soxfan49

Still amazes me more teams aren’t involved. Or Manny has just refused to grab that 7-8 year deal at $33-35M AAV. 

So many teams I feel like would love to have Manny at 8/$240M. 

Been an interesting several weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Nightengale knows a bit more than posters here want to give him credit. He has broken plenty. It isn’t a bad thing to believe him. But for some reason the general consensus here is he is a hack. I don’t think that’s accurate.

True, but it is clear he is being fed BS in this case. He has flipped his opinion 324,947,510,068 times. 

22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Because of this saga... I’ve been a poor father, husband, son, and friend.

I'll add "poor employee" to this list for myself as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

I hate this mindset. It stops being a game when you're paid to do it, especially at these amounts

I’m not against athletes getting paid big money. They are the very best at what they do in the world. Most people who are in that minuscule percentage do very well for themselves. 

I do think baseball FA is broken. I don’t think Manny Machado signing for $30M a season is one of those reasons. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Still amazes me more teams aren’t involved. Or Manny has just refused to grab that 7-8 year deal at $33-35M AAV. 

It's not too surprising to be honest. There's some big money teams strapped by their payroll. Boston, LAD, cubs, Angels and Yanks are all out due to their payrolls being near the tax threshold. That's five huge players that aren't in the mix. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If we land Machado at a somewhat reasonable amount, it’s definitely reflects “right time right place” for us.  Most of the big spenders are either maxed out right now or already have quality 3B.  Throw in the character concerns and suddenly his market shrank to only a handful of teams.  We should all be grateful for his playoff shenanigans because that likely saved us some serious money (assuming we land him). 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

True, but it is clear he is being fed BS in this case. He has flipped his opinion 324,947,510,068 times. 

By flipped his opinion, do you mean things have changed in a fluid process involving one of the biggest free agents in MLB history? Would you rather he take a Dan Clark stance. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah I'm cool with Nightengale. People act like he's this total hack (like Bruce Levine for example).

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we land Machado at a somewhat reasonable amount, it’s definitely reflects “right time right place” for us.  Most of the big spenders are either maxed out right now or already have quality 3B.  Throw in the character concerns and suddenly his market shrank to only a handful of teams.  We should all be grateful for his playoff shenanigans because that likely saved us some serious money (assuming we land him). 

It is mind boggling to me that big market teams are getting a PR pass for treating the luxury tax as a hard cap.

What we need to end this are wetbutt and katyperrysbootyhole. They trump any of the source that have been mentioned above :)

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

What we need to end this are wetbutt and katyperrysbootyhole. They trump any of the source that have been mentioned above :)

kOna above all else

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

By flipped his opinion, do you mean things have changed in a fluid process involving one of the biggest free agents in MLB history? Would you rather he take a Dan Clark stance. 

What are you talking about? I just implied people don't take what he says as gospel because it keeps changing. That may not be his fault, as I said he is being given a lot of BS info. And no, I don't think this situation has been fluid in reality. The public has been taken on a ride to try to increase contracts but the teams have remained the same as has the player asking prices probably. 

5 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

It's not too surprising to be honest. There's some big money teams strapped by their payroll. Boston, LAD, cubs, Angels and Yanks are all out due to their payrolls being near the tax threshold. That's five huge players that aren't in the mix. 

I know, but its such a big opportunity for those other teams that usually wouldn’t have a prayer to land a player of this ilk on a FA deal. There are many teams that would never be able to outbid the big boys if they were in the running that I am surprised more aren’t sniffing around, at least seriously. Padres, Twins,  Brewers, Mets, Angels and even As and Rays are teams that come to mind. Surprised at least a couple haven’t kept the bidding more honest than it appears to be publically. All make varying degrees of sense for Machado, and at least a couple of them definitely have the payroll space. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It will be cool having Machado and Moncada in the same line up. Could think of some good songs with those names. A long with Yonder, Yoan and Yolmer.

Machado/Moncada  just like Mantle and Maris  amiright ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It is mind boggling to me that big market teams are getting a PR pass for treating the luxury tax as a hard cap.

That's because most fans and media understand how harsh the taxes are for going over and staying over. Without it you can bet Machado and Harper would have signed with one of those five teams and the White Sox would have never been in the mix.

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know Yankees fans are pissed.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know, but its such a big opportunity for those other teams that usually wouldn’t have a prayer to land a player of this ilk on a FA deal. There are many teams that would never be able to outbid the big boys if they were in the running that I am surprised more aren’t sniffing around, at least seriously. Padres, Twins,  Brewers, Mets, Angels and even As and Rays are teams that come to mind. Surprised at least a couple haven’t kept the bidding more honest than it appears to be publically. All make varying degrees of sense for Machado, and at least a couple of them definitely have the payroll space. 

I see you point with the teams you listed. Hadn't really thought of them to be honest. I guess it is a bit surprising.