yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

8/250 is a good starting point.  If Passan's story is accurate, the Sox would be willing to add years and money.  They're not going to go in and give them their best offer first.  Hopefully true negotiations start soon.

This is exactly where the White Sox should be, with a deal on the table that is respectable, enough to put them in the game, but not their best deal and the agent and player know that. I was a little worried about that earlier - when Levine was reporting that they wouldn't go past 7 years, there's a chance that wouldn't get them  to the table at the end.

The White Sox now have to wait for Machado's side to make a move and put an offer on the table that is both reasonable and something that he would actually sign if the White Sox accepted it. Once both sides have said "Yes we will sign with you if we have an offer we are satisfied with", then we're down to what should be fairly ordinary details of a number in-between what both sides want and which year is his opt out. If Machado's side isn't ready to sign yet, then they'll hold onto whatever their initial ask was and there's nothing much to talk about yet.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t rule out a deal with Machado already in place (7 years guaranteed (5th year opt out), 8th year based on a low bar performance clause, 9th year as player option and 10th as team option) as Hahn is a master contract negotiator.  Sox perhaps quietly working on Harper by floating out guaranteed/low end of offer to keep Boras’ demands at bay.  Something similar to Machado but either more total value w fewer options at end or higher AAV w more options.

If Phillies blow that out of the water w something like 10/375 guaranteed then this “daily double” won’t happen.  But Sox would love to announce both together and once they know for sure they are out on Bryce, the Manny announcement waits.  Manny’s camp would have to be looped in on this so promise there to give Manny something better than Harper (flexibility w options or AAV higher than Bryce).

12 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I sure would hate to spend $250M on a guy who doesn't really want to play for the Sox. Hopefully this is not the case. What I mean is that I would hope he wouldn't sign and then have an "attitude" that would affect others.

Totally with you!  My thoughts have changed a little the last couple days though...I think you still bring him in and would then hope that just the reality of being here and the other greener pasture doors get closed, he can focus on getting settled in and playing for the White Sox for a long time.  I think you get a natural buy-in from him at that point.  It's only "not his first choice" now...but if he were actually here, I think you'd see the investment on his part take off.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think it's close. I'm excited.

Like others I would love to see this get done sometime early TODAY!

37 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So do we think the reports from last night are actually bad for the Sox? Do we think those are leaks and they’re being used for leverage?

I think Manny wants to sign with the Sox at this point (going off of nothing other than a gut feeling). I think if Lozano and Machado are trying to get other teams to enter the mix, it's because they want to get the Sox to increase their offer, not because Manny wants to play for a different team.

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Totally with you!  My thoughts have changed a little the last couple days though...I think you still bring him in and would then hope that just the reality of being here and the other greener pasture doors get closed, he can focus on getting settled in and playing for the White Sox for a long time.  I think you get a natural buy-in from him at that point.  It's only "not his first choice" now...but if he were actually here, I think you'd see the investment on his part take off.  

i see your point but its business right now. The Machado camp is just trying to maximize its value. Still thinks he waits for Harper to sign but Rick is trying to get this done now.

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

8/250 is a good starting point.  If Passan's story is accurate, the Sox would be willing to add years and money.  They're not going to go in and give them their best offer first.  Hopefully true negotiations start soon.

It took us two months to offer a lowball deal lol. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think Manny wants to sign with the Sox at this point (going off of nothing other than a gut feeling). I think if Lozano and Machado are trying to get other teams to enter the mix, it's because they want to get the Sox to increase their offer, not because Manny wants to play for a different team.

SO, if it would get it DONE, why don't the Sox come back and say OK 9 yrs and $280M./ They need to get the name signed on the bottom line! Just do it!

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

A player is worth what the market is willing to pay.  How can it be a “lowball deal” if it’s a competitive offer in this market.  It’s clear they are in on both players to varying degrees so the more they don’t outbid themselves, the better their chances at landing both and not hamstringing the team’s future.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't understand why people think this deal is a lowball. It's the second largest contract in AAV in MLB history, not to mention, apparently no one has a better offer on the table. If the AAV is true, no one can justly claim the Sox did not offer their best. 

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

SO, if it would get it DONE, why don't the Sox come back and say OK 9 yrs and $280M./ They need to get the name signed on the bottom line! Just do it!

Because if they're the only team aggressively pursing they don't need to increase their offer unless necessary. They'd be bidding against themselves with that.

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I don't understand why people think this deal is a lowball. It's the second largest contract in AAV in MLB history, not to mention, apparently no one has a better offer on the table. If the AAV is true, no one can justly claim the Sox did not offer their best. 

I don't think many people think it was a "lowball" offer, it was just a bad post. 

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

A player is worth what the market is willing to pay.  How can it be a “lowball deal” if it’s a competitive offer in this market.  It’s clear they are in on both players to varying degrees so the more they don’t outbid themselves, the better their chances at landing both and not hamstringing the team’s future.

My point is, I don't think we started with this offer. I think it was lower, and we actually increased it to this offer over the months. And will soon increase it more. I do not think this was our start with him after two months. 

13 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

its exciting that we put an offer but this is far from over. dont count out the mystery teams.  they seem to win these things

So there is some team that willingly skipped Manny's "free agency tour," managed to keep their interest from leaking to the media or their fans, and is now ready to drop a $250 mil + offer on Manny?  I don't buy it.

Edited by Perfect Vision
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Again, my lol was for thinking this was the first offer. This is not a lowball deal because this is a serious offer, our lowball deal probably occured last month. 

He is free to ask for whatever he wants...but the Sox seem to be slotted right where his true value is.  They want him so they will position themselves where his value is to give them the best shot of getting him.  

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

So there is some team that willingly skipped Manny's "free agency tour," managed to keep their interest from leaking to the media or their fans, and is not ready to drop a $250 mil + offer on Manny?  I don't buy it.

YES

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

Apologies if previously posted

It was, but still as funny now as it was then

• Like 1

The buyer never puts their best offer first. Negotiations have to start somewhere. 

Sure, we could complain about the Sox low balling to get things started. Or we could appreciate the fact it was the White Sox to make the first offer to get things started.

I think that Machado's camp really needs to be careful. Harper's too, for that matter.

We're starting to get to a point where there simply are just not very many teams left. I dont know how much leverage these agents have left. I doubt that the Hahn and Co. really see the Yankees as a threat, especially if they're only offering around 5-year, $160 million. 

And I dont think the Sox will really see the Phillies as a threat for Machado if they sign Harper. Regardless of where these guys sign, I dont think it will be with the same team. So if today it gets announced that the Phillies signed Harper to a 10-year, $325 million deal, the Machado camp loses so much leverage, because who would the players even be? A Yankees team that doesn't want to touch $200 million? A mystery team that has somehow managed to stay out of the news cycle for 2 months?

One of these guys needs to bite, or they could be losing out on tens of millions of dollars.

8 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

So there is some team that willingly skipped Manny's "free agency tour," managed to keep their interest from leaking to the media or their fans, and is now ready to drop a $250 mil + offer on Manny?  I don't buy it.

:D :P