Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

15 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

If true, the balls that Rick Hahn has are huge.    Good for him.  The Sox have a long history of leaking to Nightengale.  

MHO, Machado wants to play for the Sox.  If the Sox have not adjusted their initial offer, they know this.  Machado and his agent want more money and I don't blame them.  However, the Sox must know the market. 

The Sox would have been eliminated or adjust their offer, if this wasn't the case.

I don't think that's the case.   I think its simply that Hahn knows his 7/$230-240M is the best offer and the only team he's worried about (Yankees) aren't even close.  He doesn't see the point in offering more if he doesn't need to. At some point he may need to juice the offer to get it done, and he is probably willing to do so, but he's not going to negotiate against himself. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I disagree. Youre only risking credibility.

The problem is that credibility doesnt really matter if your at the Boras level of agent. We already know that Boras did something similar to the Rangers when they signed A-Rod. 

These posts are too literal. The agents arent going to say "Oh we have an offer of XYZ". They are going to say "We have other offers, if you want to sign our client you need to offer X."

That last paragraph is spot on.  If that is so, they are not telling a lie, but doing what I said, it's a threat.  That is what Boras did to the Rangers and won.  He HAS to have another offer and that other offer could be $1, but it is an offer.  My point is that he can't say "the Cardinals are at 300 and you need to beat that", if the Cardinals are not at 300.  You can't claim an offer that does not exist, but can hint or threaten with "another offer".

I do however believe Credibility does matter.  There is a reason some teams will not deal with Boras.  Those teams may be doing their franchise and fans a disservice, but those teams don't trust his credibility.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Levine says Passan is a good reporter but is not correct about years and the reported amount is also incorrect.  He says amount closer to 200 than 250 million and aav will be between 25 and 30 million

That's not a serious offer, IMO. No wonder Machado hasn't signed yet if there is any truth to this.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

Kind of interesting to me is..what does it mean that Rosenthal seems to have bupkis on all this?

Meh. He may be quiet at the moment, but I assume that's only because he doesn't have anything concrete. When the deal is actually getting close, I'd bet that he'll still be one of the very first to break it. 

1 minute ago, Soxman72 said:

That last paragraph is spot on.  If that is so, they are not telling a lie, but doing what I said, it's a threat.  That is what Boras did to the Rangers and won.  He HAS to have another offer and that other offer could be $1, but it is an offer.  My point is that he can't say "the Cardinals are at 300 and you need to beat that", if the Cardinals are not at 300.  You can't claim an offer that does not exist, but can hint or threaten with "another offer".

I do however believe Credibility does matter.  There is a reason some teams will not deal with Boras.  Those teams may be doing their franchise and fans a disservice, but those teams don't trust his credibility.

I dont think they are acting in the capacity of lawyers in these discussions so its questionable as to whether ABA rule 4.1 applies. https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_4_1_truthfulness_in_statements_to_others/

Also Im not sure that someone is going to file an ethical complaint even if it was technically a violation.

That being said. I can easily just change the words to get around the problem. I say "other teams are interested." 

Not to mention, it wouldnt be a great tactic to specifically state what the other team was involved as a bluff. 

And it really hasnt hurt Boras that much. The teams who spend the most money are willing to play ball with him. They understand the game that is being played.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not a serious offer, IMO. No wonder Machado hasn't signed yet. 

While I kind of agree, it is pretty serious if its the best offer to date.  Spring training is now less than a month away.  No reason to pay the man $300M if you can get him for $220M. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

While I kind of agree, it is pretty serious if its the best offer to date.  Spring training is now less than a month away.  No reason to pay the man $300M if you can get him for $220M. 

Youre not going to get him for $220.

This the problem with the Yankees waiting in the weeds. They could easily give Machado 2 years $70mil if they want and then Machado hits FA again at 28. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bruce continuing to Parrot Nightengale. 

Says the AAV is closer to $25M than 30M, I refuse to believe this because that isn't a serious offer, IMO. 

People know that Nightengale is the mouthpiece of the Sox.  There is history to show this.  It's not Rosenthal, Passan, or any other national guy. 

Levine either still has a Sox source or knows this about Nightengale.  I believe Levine needs to retire and he knows the relationship between the Sox and Nightengale. 

It's the Sox way of keeping information accurate, so they are not bidding against themselves or having another team throw "stupid money" at the player, that the Sox can not compete with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Bruce and Nightengale have seemed to have their fingers on this better than Passan. So this kinda sucks.

Bruce hasn't been respectable, in regards to breaking news, in years. Levine and Nightengale are getting their info from the Sox to try and drum down prices while Passan is doing the opposite for the Machado camp. It's pretty obvious at this point.

• Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres