Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Could you imagine the kick in the dick this would be?

I do not buy the Cubs as being in on either player. Their payroll is projected to come in around $220 million for 2019 already, adding Machado/Harper would push them way into luxury tax hell and strip them of any flexibility moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you sign Machado and you really want to play this game - you realize that you now have your infield sewn up and you are not moving Moncada away from 2b any time soon because you're not starting over with development and a rookie if your team is competitive, so Madrigal is your top trade bait. Who has the best starting pitchers available on the trade market? We don't like the answer but it's Cleveland. A deal for one of their starters with Madrigal and someone else from our 5-10 range as 2 key pieces...that could work if the Indians didn't hate Madrigal. 

The White Sox aren't sending top tier prospects to Cleveland to acquire a guy with 2 years of expensive control (Bauer) or beating the rest of MLB in the bidding for Kluber.  It just isn't happening.  

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Jon Gray and Dylan Bundy could be interesting "buy low" candidates for the Sox.

The Sox need to address the #5 starter's spot regardless if they get Machado. No way do I want them to start the season with Manny Banuelos in the rotation.

I like the Gray idea, not so much Bundy. Jameson Taillon might be a good fit as well. Get all the Pirates pitchers!

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Oh I think teams are willing to pay 30 mill for the prime years of a contract and can get pulled into the tail ends of the contract, what I don't believe is only taking a 2 year contract getting the AAV you wants will open up more opportunity for the age 29-34 years of your contract. You may be faced again with shorter deals than you want and lower AAV. There is no guarantee. Also injury.

The 2 year contract isnt ideal. But its the leverage you have to use to get the opt out on the current deal. I just cant see Machado taking 7/220 and not getting an opt out in year 2/3. That deal doesnt make a lot of sense for the Sox, because if he performs great, he is going to opt out. 

It really just depends on what Machado and his agent want to do. I mean if you can get 7/220 and an opt out at year 4, are you saying no and holding out for year 3? If youre at 7/220 are you then pushing for 8 years 250 with opt at 4?

I just think that the alleged offer isnt good enough that the Sox should feel comfortable that Machado has to take it.

26 year old FAs of that caliber are extremely rare.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Been waiting for Cubs to be linked to Manny. I always felt it was odd he was in Chicago for two days during his visits.

There is no way he visited the Cubs and it hasn't been reported / leaked.  100% 

Edited by justBLAZE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Been waiting for Cubs to be linked to Manny. I always felt it was odd he was in Chicago for two days during his visits.

This makes less sense than Harper.

Machado would have to play SS because of Bryant. And the Cubs would then end up losing at least Bryant when he hits FA. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, Hahn said earlier this offseason that Cease is on the same path Kopech was last year. So assuming things go well, he could be up in August, just like Kopech was last year.

Cease pitched 124 innings last year. Realistically we are looking at 165 innings max for him next year. Might be another year of him being shut down early. If he is pitching well we night see him but if it saves the extra year we probably won't. If he blows the competition away at AA A he could be promoted around the 100 innings mark but even then I wouldn't count on it. They are really babying the kid and for good reasons.

1 hour ago, Princess Dye said:

machado and harper would not both be on the same team at the end of this, for several reasons-- but chiefly-- that Boras will not share one cent more than he has to (from the same team) with a superstar player that isnt his

giphy.gif

So no Boras clients work for teams that don't have Boras clients? have you looked at the red sox or yankees or really any other team in the league?

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

This makes less sense than Harper.

Machado would have to play SS because of Bryant. And the Cubs would then end up losing at least Bryant when he hits FA. 

I can see the fit - Cubs cut bait with Russell, sign Manny to play SS, knowing they will probably lose Bryant to FA anyway, lock up an elite bat. What I can't see is the $$$ 

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

A blind squirrel.

I'd say more of a cat.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not if you’re trying to say you have no money and going under the radar. You could easily keep a meeting on the down low.

You really need to stop being worried about the Cubs.  Not happening.

• Like 1

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I won't take any of those Cubs rumors seriously until they unload Heyward's contract, which will never happen.

It's not just unloading Heyward's contract, it would be unloading his contract without taking significant bad salary in return, which is not going to happen

Just now, daggins said:

I can see the fit - Cubs cut bait with Russell, sign Manny to play SS, knowing they will probably lose Bryant to FA anyway, lock up an elite bat. What I can't see is the $$$ 

Cubs fans would revolt if they gave up on Bryant for Machado. 

Id find it amusing, but I just cant imagine it. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He'll likely be the starting CF for the Sox before he's the starting RF.  He's definitely ahead of Robert in his development.  I could see Gonzalez roaming CF in Chicago by August, honestly. 

I hope so. Hopefully he starts the season in Birmingham, then heads to Charlotte by June.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres