Jump to content
yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

I read that Lozano article on Deadspin again, and this paragraph is quite interesting:

"He'd do this one thing all the time," a former co-worker recalls. "Say he'd get an offer of a million. He'd go back to his player and tell him they'd been offered $800,000, but that was way too low and he'd do what he can. He'd wait a few days, accept the original offer, then tell his player: ‘I talked them up to a million. See how I fight for you? See how I fight for you?'

Isn't that illegal? I thought agents were required to report every deal to the player? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fathom said:

I read that Lozano article on Deadspin again, and this paragraph is quite interesting:

"He'd do this one thing all the time," a former co-worker recalls. "Say he'd get an offer of a million. He'd go back to his player and tell him they'd been offered $800,000, but that was way too low and he'd do what he can. He'd wait a few days, accept the original offer, then tell his player: ‘I talked them up to a million. See how I fight for you? See how I fight for you?'

This is how I imagine what almost every agent is like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Why? How many #5 starters does a team need?

Well.... Seeing that we don't even have 5 major league starters, I'd say we need more..

I'd say we have 3.5.  Rodon, Lopez and Nova.  I gave Giolito a .5 since he will get a year to see what he can prove.

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thought, with the release of the information we saw yesterday from the Machado agent, I think any hopes of this being days away from being are now officially dashed.  If it were close, there would be no need for negotiations in the press of offers being SO far apart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Well.... Seeing that we don't even have 5 major league starters, I'd say we need more..

I'd say we have 3.5.  Rodon, Lopez and Nova.  I gave Giolito a .5 since he will get a year to see what he can prove.

So you’re not looking to sign a good pitcher, just someone who can be a plug-in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

 

I was going to call the guy out because he must be obsessed with Machado because he has a few different tweets directed towards him....Then I think of us on page 373

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

 

Who is that and why should anyone care what he thinks of the White Sox?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

 

Smugness is just about the last word I would use when trying to disparage the Sox and their fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course he could, but I think the Reward outweighs the risk. How often do position players get beaned nowadays? It really doesn't happen all that often. The only real risk he has is blowing a knee running the bases and that only happens to two or three guys a season. The risk is minimal. 

Or ya know like a tragedy. People do die unexpectedly all the time. Those DR roads have claimed a few. Lyman Bostock shot. Tim Crews, Steve Olin Jose Fernandez, Thurman Munson, Roberto Clemente. Joe Kennedy , Corey Lidle, Yordano Ventura, Luis Valbuena,Nick Adenart, Darryl Kile  and many more.

White Sox had a pitcher Paul Edmundson who died in a car crash in 1970. Francisco Barrios died age 28, 1981 from a heart attack played whole career with Sox .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

One more thought, with the release of the information we saw yesterday from the Machado agent, I think any hopes of this being days away from being are now officially dashed.  If it were close, there would be no need for negotiations in the press of offers being SO far apart.

Also notice the lack of any tweets relating to his contract today?  Feels like it's going to be a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Who is that and why should anyone care what he thinks of the White Sox?

Twitter bio says he used to be affiliated with the Jim Rome show. I wouldn't know who Jim Rome is, either, except he once insinuated that a male guest was a woman and promptly got his ass beat by that same guest while still on the air.

Image result for ace ventura loser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Machado was going to take a 1 or 2 year contract, hed have to get one of those insurance policies like college football players. Not sure if he could get one for $100mil plus, but its theoretically possible, especially if it had like a $1mil premium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also notice the lack of any tweets relating to his contract today?  Feels like it's going to be a while.

I think its going to mostly be quiet for the rest of the process.  Nobody is going to want to release any information unless they are 100% that they are accurate.  

Edited by Peacock Wrestler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Twitter bio says he used to be affiliated with the Jim Rome show. I wouldn't know who Jim Rome is, either, except he once insinuated that a male guest was a woman and promptly got his ass beat by that same guest while still on the air.

Image result for ace ventura loser

That was Jim Everett right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also notice the lack of any tweets relating to his contract today?  Feels like it's going to be a while.

Frankly, I'd be stunned if we get resolution before pitchers and catchers report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

this list is missing people. one for sur is cody allen.

Craig Kimbrel RP 31
Ryan Madson RP 38
Tony Sipp RP 35
Shawn Kelley RP 35
Brad Brach RP 33
Justin Wilson RP 31
Adam Warren RP 31
Oliver Perez RP 37
Zach Duke RP 36
Nick Vincent RP 32
Sergio Romo RP 36
Jake Diekman RP 32
Tyler Clippard RP 35
Xavier Cedeno RP 32
Greg Holland RP 33
Tony Barnette RP 35
Aaron Loup RP 31
John Axford RP 36
Bud Norris RP 34
Dan Jennings RP 31
Alex Wilson RP 32
Cody Allen RP 30
AJ RAmos RP 31
jeremy blevins RP 35
Daniel Hudson RP 31
Jim Johnson RP 35
Brad Boxberger RP 31
Hunter Strickland RP 30
Vidal Nuno RP 30

 

Sorry it got cut off this is list of notables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

Frankly, I'd be stunned if we get resolution before pitchers and catchers report.

Where it gets fascinating is how many other players besides Manny and Harper are in limbo waiting for their decisions.  Guys like Pollock and Moustakas should wait until they decide to make teams more desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigSexy23 said:

Craig Kimbrel RP 31
Ryan Madson RP 38
Tony Sipp RP 35
Shawn Kelley RP 35
Brad Brach RP 33
Justin Wilson RP 31
Adam Warren RP 31
Oliver Perez RP 37
Zach Duke RP 36
Nick Vincent RP 32
Sergio Romo RP 36
Jake Diekman RP 32
Tyler Clippard RP 35
Xavier Cedeno RP 32
Greg Holland RP 33
Tony Barnette RP 35
Aaron Loup RP 31
John Axford RP 36
Bud Norris RP 34
Dan Jennings RP 31
Alex Wilson RP 32
Cody Allen RP 30
AJ RAmos RP 31
jeremy blevins RP 35
Daniel Hudson RP 31
Jim Johnson RP 35
Brad Boxberger RP 31
Hunter Strickland RP 30
Vidal Nuno RP 30

 

Sorry it got cut off this is list of notables

I'd love to sign a guy like Cody Allen. Still a lot of good RP on the market

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Where it gets fascinating is how many other players besides Manny and Harper are in limbo waiting for their decisions.  Guys like Pollock and Moustakas should wait until they decide to make teams more desperate.

I mean, at least they serve (mm) as useful reminders of it not really getting better next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×