Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I’m just generally curious at the people who say “The Sox have been sitting on their hands, this should have been over weeks ago!”

So you just want the Sox to pay Lozano’s ransom, whatever the cost may be, because you want Machado on your favorite baseball team? That is such an unrealistic stance I can’t really take it that seriously. 

Yes. How is that unrealistic? 

It's not my money, it's the rich owners money, who isnt spending it on any other players anyway. In todays game, it's rare for players like Machado and Harper to hit free agency at their age. It's the best chance the Sox will ever have to acquire such a talent in their prime, at a time when their young players are getting very close to being viable major leaguers.  If there is any time to overpay, it is now.

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's not my money, it's the rich owners money, who isnt spending it on any other players anyway. In todays game, it's rare for players like Machado and Harper to hit free agency at their age. It's the best chance the Sox will ever have to acquire such a talent in their prime, at a time when their young players are getting very close to being viable major leaguers.  If there is any team to overpay, it is now.

True but as a fan you also want your team to have a good amount of flexibility going forward too. I don’t want to hear how they can’t go after a front line pitcher in the next couple years because they gave manny 350 mil when the next highest bidder was at 230. 

5 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's not my money, it's the rich owners money, who isnt spending it on any other players anyway. In todays game, it's rare for players like Machado and Harper to hit free agency at their age. It's the best chance the Sox will ever have to acquire such a talent in their prime, at a time when their young players are getting very close to being viable major leaguers.  If there is any time to overpay, it is now.

So if Manny is asking for 8 years and $450 million, you’re giving it to him?

If your answer is no, then there must be a cap to what you are willing to give right now. And then you’d be in a negotiation and you wouldn’t want to offer that cap right now. And that’s exactly where Hahn is at. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

So in this scenario...Free agency opens and the White Sox present the best offer, topping all other MLB teams. 

Lozano says "No, it's still not enough, we won't sign that contract." You're saying Hahn should bend over and say "Ok Dan, here is a blank check, write in what Manny wants, we'll pay it?" 

What no one seems to mention is even if the Padres do make an offer, given the way Lozano has played this, why are we assuming Lozano won't play that offer into more money? And who's to say once an official offer comes in, the Sox then won't up their original offer? 

The Sox deserve ALL the blame in the world if they lose out on Machado, and its confirmed they weren't the highest bidder. I'm in full agreement there. I want to make that clear. But seeing as there have been zero reports that no other offers have been made for Machado, I'm not ready to say the strategy from the Sox is the wrong one. 

Hypothetically, let's say the 8 year/$250MM offer is in fact what the Sox are offering. And let's say Machado's side wants $280MM. Is saving $30MM really worth the risk of him potentially not signing here? Obviously it's a different story if Lozano's asking price is ridiculous, but I'm more inclined to just give the guy what he wants if his demands aren't insane. The Sox NEED Machado. He doesn't need the Sox.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

So 5 years down the road we don't have to sell off our players again because we gave half a billion to one guy

The Sox are not going to bow out of this, I’m sure if SD offers a contract better than the Whitesox we will have a chance to match or counter back with a better one. Nothing to worry about here. Hahn has even said that if it comes to it the Sox aren’t going down without a fight. 

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Hypothetically, let's say the 8 year/$250MM offer is in fact what the Sox are offering. And let's say Machado's side wants $280MM. Is saving $30MM really worth the risk of him potentially not signing here? Obviously it's a different story if Lozano's asking price is ridiculous, but I'm more inclined to just give the guy what he wants if his demands aren't insane. The Sox NEED Machado. He doesn't need the Sox.

And then Lazano comes back to say high bid is now 320m.

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

My money?

Its Jerry's money and he has plenty.  Some of you guys are so concerned that his great great grandkids have enough money in their college funds. 

Or 

So 5 years down the road we don't have to sell off our players again because we gave half a billion to one guy

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Outside of a World Series win, or another huge signing, can this franchise bounce back if Machado signs with the Padres for 7 years 200 or less million?

I mean yes if in the next year it shows it can actually develop talent.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Or 

So 5 years down the road we don't have to sell off our players again because we gave half a billion to one guy

Again? The reason they were sold off the first time was because the front office couldn't put together a talented roster around them. If that happens again, then no free agent will help anyway.

If the $500 million guy helps you win,  then maybe you wont sell off any players.

On day 1 of free agency what amount do you think it would have taken to sign Machado right away? Without his taking the offer to other teams to try to beat?

Maybe $350 million over 10 with an opt out somewhere, perhaps 4 years so that its the year right after the lockout? What do you think? If I was in Lozano's chair that would have been close to my initial ask. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

No, in this case I would pay the extra 30 mil if that was difference. I agree with you, or at least meet them half way. Done. I think, basically know the Sox feel that way as well.

I don’t think that’s the situation right now with Machado unfortunately. 

I think this Padres rumor is Lozano's way of trying to squeeze more money out of the Sox. Admittedly it's hard to comment on this topic since we don't know what the Sox are offering and what Machado's side wants. But at the end of the day, it's all a moot point if the Sox end up signing him which I think there's still a good possibility of happening. It's just becoming increasingly hard for me to stay patient.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Maybe $350 million over 10 with an opt out somewhere, perhaps 4 years so that its the year right after the lockout? What do you think? If I was in Lozano's chair that would have been close to my initial ask. 

To sign on day 1?  No way. People were talking about that as reasonable to start the winter. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That may not have signed him on day 1, but it would have closed the deal in 2018.

To sign on day 1?  No way. People were talking about that as reasonable to start the winter. 

It’s crazy to think that Chili’s guy said Manny wanted to sign at the meeting lol. I know he got Abreus involvement and then Herrera signing but that seems  obviously false now.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres