Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The white sox have allowed giolito to go back to his old comfortable delivery - last spring - and there were tons of positive feedback and results but once the season started he reverted. Giolito strikes me as being a mental midget sadly.

Giolito's delivery last year was a work in progress the entire year.  The way he pitched in April was completely different than how he was pitching in August/September.  It wasn't until around June that they focused on having him pitch more over the top, and after they did his release point was about half a foot higher and his velocity was 2-3 mph more than it was earlier in the year.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Unknown said:

First time checking in this weekend, what's the latest rumor/timetable? 

At this point, we've got "lots of white sox players are reaching out to him according to their statements at Soxfest", and "The Padres have come in with an offer, potentially a strong one."

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

This guy was one of the first to mention the Padres were in on Manny.  He sure seems confident they're going to get him...and if it's true that 8/250 would seal the deal, the Sox really just need to move to Portland during the night.

https://twitter.com/UpstateNYY_315

7 years at $210 is bullshit. He's just quoting Levine and media reports. He has no idea what the offers are. I wouldn't necessarily bet $$ that he's coming to Chicago at this point but I'm fairly confident that he isn't going to the Padres. Machado has made it pretty clear that he's not a fan of the west coast. 

10 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Using underachiever and Cooper in the same sentence is crazy talk. If the Sox let him go, he would have a major league job tomorrow.

Would he though? He was saying the other day he wants his starters to continue going 7-8 and even 9 innings throwing 100+ pitches and his ball clubs will always do that. The trend for MLB lately is to rely heavily on the bullpen and seem to be drifting away from that kind of stuff.....not saying that old dogs can’t learn new tricks but maybe time is starting to pass him by....

I will finish this up by saying that his job is absolutely safe here due to the “loyalty” from ownership and not having a negative track record with our staff.

Edited by beckham15

6 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Would he though? He was saying the other day he wants his starters to continue going 7-8 and even 9 innings throwing 100+ pitches and his ball clubs will always do that. The trend for MLB lately is to rely heavily on the bullpen and seem to be drifting away from that kind of stuff.....not saying that old dogs can’t learn new tricks but maybe time is starting to pass him by....

That's something that is not up to Cooper, a front office lays out the plans for pitcher usage. I think Cooper's track record in having success with pitchers who were challenged, to say the least, to have any semblance of repeatable mechanics or command speaks for itself.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I almost hope the Padres really are in it and do have a strong offer out there because then we can get some real negotiations going and hopefully wrap this up quickly when one team drops out and Lozano realizes he got the most he can get.

Yep! One way or the other let's end this thing!

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I've heard this claimed a few times now, is there a source for this belief? Maybe a quote from Manny himself stating this?

I'd have to look for it. He didn't like being in LA because his friends and family are in Miami and it's 3 hours away. Seems like a minor deal and something a shitload of $$ could fix. It could matter if deals are similar though. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd have to look for it. He didn't like being in LA because his friends and family are in Miami and it's 3 hours away. Seems like a minor deal and something a shitload of $$ could fix. It could matter if deals are similar though. 

Pretty sure the flight is longer than 3 hours.

41 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I think Cooper's track record in having success with pitchers who were challenged, to say the least, to have any semblance of repeatable mechanics or command speaks for itself.

Then let's see him do something with Fulmer and Giolito.
Sox pitching hasn't exactly been top shelf.

52 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

7 years at $210 is bullshit. He's just quoting Levine and media reports. He has no idea what the offers are. I wouldn't necessarily bet $$ that he's coming to Chicago at this point but I'm fairly confident that he isn't going to the Padres. Machado has made it pretty clear that he's not a fan of the west coast. 

Not sure that is true. Heyman had originally reported that Manny wanted to play on the East Coast last October.  If it comes down to Padres and White Sox then he will not get his wish. The East Coast idea may have been when he wanted the Yankees to make an offer. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres