Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

41 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If the Yankees have truly offered $220M and he hasn't taken it yet from his #1 destination, then it must be because the Sox (or someone else) currently has a significantly higher offer and he is waiting for either the Yankees to improve their offer, or another team to beat the team that currently has the higher offer. 

That being said, maybe the $250M that Passan and Gomez tweeted out was real, and that $30M gap is enough for him to not take the Yankees $220M offer and hope they can find some more money for him.

The $250 rumor struck me as solid (as far as rumors go) so it would make sense that a Yankees $220 wouldn't beat a Sox $250.  But it's kind of cutting it close.

13 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That tweet makes no sense. Discussing opt-outs and incentives is a waste of time if the two sides don't even have the money and years agreed upon yet.

I took it as meaning that they've already agreed on money and years, and have now moved on to finer details like opt outs and incentives. But still, no reason to believe this guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is unpredictable, we go from talking about Machado, to hats, to contracts, to psychological testing, to the Cubs, to reinsurance (two gentlemen got it right!) and now we are back to Manny.😁

Bernstein, Campy and Rosenbloom were talking about this today. They were debating going all in and giving a final offer by a certain deadline, saying here is the best offer and having another team match it but the Sox then get the last look or they would just stand pat and wait this out. Campy thought they would go all in and up the offer and Bernstein thought they would stay put.

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I took it as meaning that they've already agreed on money and years, and have now moved on to finer details like opt outs and incentives. But still, no reason to believe this guy.

That's the way I read it too.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...there have been zero rumors about the Yankees even making an offer and now Jim Duquette just casually drops the Yankees’ current offer is 7 to 8 years and above $200M?  Seems like a blatant Lozano plant if I’ve ever seen one.

He probably saw one last opening based off of Hal Steinbrenners comments yesterday

• Like 2

People with yankee rumors, even when they are completely unfounded, have a huge audience of willing believers. They are so full of themselves they can’t accept that they aren’t in it and will believe anything that hints at involvement. It’s pathetic really. 

9 minutes ago, shipps said:

People with yankee rumors, even when they are completely unfounded, have a huge audience of willing believers. They are so full of themselves they can’t accept that they aren’t in it and will believe anything that hints at involvement. It’s pathetic really. 

Yankees fans on Twitter are completely unbearable.  Like they legitimately feel they should be entitled to Machado & Harper just because.  I really, really hope they land neither of them (which seems likely at this point) just to see their fanbase’s endless whining.

14 hours ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Unless Cashman has been trolling all of baseball and planning all along to jump in and steal Machado, I would take this with a grain of salt. New York does not really need Machado. Signing him would be a luxury, and would put them way over the luxury tax. Sure, anything can happen. But until it does worrying about it won't accomplish much. My feeling on this has developed into if we sign Machado, fine. If not and he is so greedy that he will wait until the season starts or later to sign just to squeeze a few more million out of us, then let him go to Japan.

First of all the guy writes for a Yankee periodical so I take him like almost everyone else these days w 2 grains of salt. But I am concerned somewhat. The Yankees finished 8 games behind Boston and will start w Didi  out of the lineup. The Yankees bolstered their pitching  but offensively they were a distant 2nd to Boston in all but HR.  Now if Boston loses Kimbrel to FA that shifts the scales some.  But Cashman may be concerned that the Didi loss and the Pedroia add may still leave an offensive void. Now maybe Machado is still too rich to fill that void.  

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yankees fans on Twitter are completely unbearable.  Like they legitimately feel they should be entitled to Machado & Harper just because.  I really, really hope they land neither of them (which seems likely at this point) just to see their fanbase’s endless whining.

Yeah, they have already had a great offseason.  Adding Paxton, LeMaheiu, and Ottavino, and retaining Happ and Britton.  Easy to see how they have improved, where Boston has gotten worse in losing Kimbrel (so far) and Kelly.

And just like Philly, their fans may view Cashman as a failure if they don't get a whale.  

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres