yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If I have tickets to give away this year - I dont even try to sell them - I will PM you. Usually give away 10-15 games a year. 

Sell them online. I take a good chuckle k out of my season tickets for next year selling the tickets through the Sox website

53 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's isn't true at all.  I grew up in carol stream and Batavia and there were plenty of Sox fans and we went to a lot of games.   When Sammy blew up it got a little out of whack but there were a lot of suburban white Sox fans

Im from Batavia. Cheers man! 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sell them online. I take a good chuckle k out of my season tickets for next year selling the tickets through the Sox website

Eh, I like to give them away to fellow Sox fans.

• Like 3

Hypothetically let's say that Machado signs a 10 year  $300M contract with the Sox. Then he gets injured at the start of year three, can't play again and is still owed $240M.  I would assume the team takes an insurance policy on highly paid players. Educate me, please. Can someone explain, without having to go into to great a deal of time, how those insurance policies  work? Thanks. (For those like I who worry about a badly injured player with a long term contract)

Edited by Saufley

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

The population of the entire state of Missouri is 4 million less people than the Chicago metro. The people in arkansas or wherever don't meaningfully contribute to the Cardinals bottom line. 

People in Springfield and Decatur are close enough to make that trip. It is only an 60-90 minutes from there to St. Louis. Peoria is 2 hrs away so if someone really wanted to go to a Cardinals game they could pull it off....It is no different than traveling to a Sox game from where I live in Rush Hour lol. They probably make up the difference with the rest of IL. Anywhere south of I-80  and west of I-55 and you start getting into Cardinals country. They also draw in Iowa as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, I like to give them away to fellow Sox fans.

BTW, I like your handle. Durham reminds me of a lot of players from that era: 

My favorite semi-obscure players to remember from the mid-late 90s include Norberto Martin and Chris Snopek. I still have vivid memories of Gene Honda calling those guys as they walked up to the plate. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If I have tickets to give away this year - I dont even try to sell them - I will PM you. Usually give away 10-15 games a year. 

I'd appreciate a look, too.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'd appreciate a look, too.

But don't you play for the Rangers now? 

That's the problem with Texas...want to see the White Sox and it's a 3 hour drive to Houston or Dallas. 

MLB Insider says Sox are Manchado's only option at present. We must not be good enough. 

Dammit, guys. I went to lunch for an hour and got excited when I saw 5 new pages upon my return. All of those pages were arguing about Aroldis Chapman and the Sox market share. Damn you all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, pcq said:

MLB Insider says Sox are Manchado's only option at present. We must not be good enough. 

🙄

Not saying that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, but I just checked the subscriber numbers for some MLB teams subreddits and it worked out like this:

r/whitesox: 10.9k

r/cardinals: 21.8k

r/CHIcubs: 30.6k

r/minnesotatwins: 12.1k

r/wahoostipi: 14.0k

Not sure where the rest of the teams in the league stack up or if this is even remotely related to the overall size of the fanbase, but take from this what you will.

7 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Not saying that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, but I just checked the subscriber numbers for some MLB teams subreddits and it worked out like this:

Not sure where the rest of the teams in the league stack up or if this is even remotely related to the overall size of the fanbase, but take from this what you will.

If I know anything about the White Sox fanbase, there isn't a ton of overlap with the Reddit demo

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Not really relevant. Sox have some big active online communities outside of Reddit. Cubs on the other had never had much of a online community pre-social media days despite their large fanbase. NSBB was the largest forum and that could be quite the ghost town even when the Cubs were good.

12 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

>Reddit

Yeah, no thanks on visiting that cancerous, virtue signaling, circle jerk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

Hypothetically let's say that Machado signs a 10 year  $300M contract with the Sox. Then he gets injured at the start of year three, can't play again and is still owed $240M.  I would assume the team takes an insurance policy on highly paid players. Educate me, please. Can someone explain, without having to go into to great a deal of time, how those insurance policies  work? Thanks. (For those like I who worry about a badly injured player with a long term contract)

Its not required to get a policy in MLB, but the Sox would 100% would have an insurance policy on Machado.  

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Moncada and Kopech had their moments when they seemed to be THE jerseys to buy.  

This year, Jimenez and perhaps Cease.  Jimenez is beyond obvious.  Then Robert would be the player whose jersey I would be most likely to buy in the future, with Madrigal as second choice.

Machado? 😎

9 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

Its not required to get a policy in MLB, but the Sox would 100% would have an insurance policy on Machado.  

I'm wondering if a policy is written for $300M total and decrease $30M per year is there a percentage payout for injury, if it happens in any year. I can't imagine a 100% payout. And I wonder what kind of cost is paid? just wondering, if anyone has insight to this. I don't mean to get off topic, but wondering if we land Machado.

Edited by Saufley

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

I'm wondering if a policy is written for $300M total and decrease $30M per year is there a percentage payout for injury, if it happens in any year. I can't imagine a 100% payout. And I wonder what kind of cost is paid? just wondering, if anyone has insight to this. I don't mean to get off topic, but wondering if we land Machado.

I have no idea, but I would imagine there isn't necessarily a standard that has to be made on how the policy is set up.  Insurance companies are willing to customize their policies if the price is right.  I ADD'd out and didn't read the whole thing, but here's a decent article on insurance on Fangraphs.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GreenSox said:

I don't want to envision it - I want to see it!

To me, it's more interesting about who tweeted this initially

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reinsdorf owns the Stadium twitter acct..and they were the source that broke the Yonder acquisition .  It's weird to me they'd put it out there like that (re: signing both) but then again it's seeking clicks or whatever, at its core.

Edited by Princess Dye