yesterday333

Manny: Enter the Panic Room

1 minute ago, bmags said:

2/19 was when JD Martinez signed, that's still my deadline.

That was a Monday, so the 18th this year?

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That was a Monday, so the 18th this year?

That makes sense.

Machado and Harper also seem to be playing off each other, which is odd since they aren't the same type of player.  But neither wants to blink first.  For instance, if Harper signs for 8/250MM, then Machado could have a bit of a bidding war with the teams that lost out on Harper.

So neither guy wants to be the first to sign, which is just delaying everyone.   

Does anyone know how an agent's commission works on a long term deal?  Does it became guaranteed over the life of the contract even if the agent is fired the day after the contract is signed?  If so, Lozano is going to be steering Manny towards the longer term contract (even though he's ethically obligated to bring every offer to Manny).  A short term deal would be seen as a failure and I think Lozano would be at great risk of being fired, and not cashing in on Manny's next deal.

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Does anyone know how an agent's commission works on a long term deal?  Does it became guaranteed over the life of the contract even if the agent is fired the day after the contract is signed?  If so, Lozano is going to be steering Manny towards the longer term contract (even though he's ethically obligated to bring every offer to Manny).  A short term deal would be seen as a failure and I think Lozano would be at great risk of being fired, and not cashing in on Manny's next deal.

Related question, what purpose does an agent serve after signing a 10 year deal

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Related question, what purpose does an agent serve after signing a 10 year deal

Agents are Jacks of all trades. They are lawyers, media relations managers, endorsement engineers, and confidants. And once you sign the big contract, it's kinda like a retainer. That guy is working for you. Legal trouble,  call your agent. Coke wants you in a commercial? They know who to call. 

If Manny does sign elsewhere and Lozano just strung them a long for a ride then I really worry Reinsdorf is just not going to want to be involved with any top tier free agent again. 

1 minute ago, RickinIndiana said:

Things aren't looking so hot for the Sox to score one of these guys.

Agreed. Looks like a long shot at best today. 

Remember these guys and their agents have tremendous ego's. They want the most money, they want that historic record breaking deal, they want a lot of things.

Neither is going to want to give up that "dream" for wont of a better word, quickly or easily.

2 minutes ago, Unknown said:

Agreed. Looks like a long shot at best today. 

Jesus Christ some of you people are so bipolar. He's coming, he's not coming. Just RELAX

Edited by Kiebs13
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Jesus Christ some of you people are so bipolar. He's coming, he's not coming. Just RELAX

I really have no idea what all these people are talking about. For some reason today, everyone just collectively decided that he's not coming I guess 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really have no idea what all these people are talking about. For some reason today, everyone just collectively decided that he's not coming I guess 

There's nothing bad for the Sox in that Martino article.  It still says the belief is he'll take the most money offered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't know when it will be, and it won't be yet, but sometime soon the White Sox are going to throw their hands up and say the season is starting and they're out, good luck. We're now in the week that pitchers and catchers report, so everyone can suddenly hear the clock ticking in the background.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know when it will be, and it won't be yet, but sometime soon the White Sox are going to throw their hands up and say the season is starting and they're out, good luck. We're now in the week that pitchers and catchers report, so everyone can suddenly hear the clock ticking in the background.

I don't know about this. I actually wrote a blog post last week about this very idea. I think the White Sox have the upper hand because they, unlike the Phillies, are not expected to compete this year, so they are able to just wait and wait and wait because their 2019 roster isn't the priority 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a HORRIBLE take. the White sox are the team that can wait the longest because they arent expected to contend this year. It literally makes no difference to the sox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hahn is the same person that said Sox fans won't care if Manny signed in December or March if he hits a walk-off homer.  I really don't get the negativity today from so many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RickinIndiana said:

Things aren't looking so hot for the Sox to score one of these guys.

Literally nothing has changed from a month ago

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't know about this. I actually wrote a blog post last week about this very idea. I think the White Sox have the upper hand because they, unlike the Phillies, are not expected to compete this year, so they are able to just wait and wait and wait because their 2019 roster isn't the priority 

Exactly, we have no reason to throw our hands up, even if the season started. We've always known we aren't going for it this season, its all about the future. If Manny wants to sign here in June why would we say no?

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why in the world would they do that? "We don't want this game changer for the next 8-10 years because we're not sure what to do with Yolmer Sanchez in spring training."

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2