Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

If Padres get Manny, I could see them going after a TOR starter again via trade.

TOR starters are only available if they are about to get expensive or are on bloated contracts.  I don't see them making a shift to become a perennial top 10 payroll team which they would have to be to make signing Machado worth their while.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the fact they're pushing 3B on Moncada means Harper or bust at this point. I think they know Machado isn't signing here. 

They aren't pushing him anywhere. This has been something that was discussed all off-season. They would like their players to be more versatile.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

Assumption has always been if no Manny, then Yoan plays 3rd in 2019.  If you get Manny, then Yolmer would be backup 3rd baseman.

I've not seen enough to see that as an assumption. Who plays 2nd? Yolmer?

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So could the Sox OF depth. 

cool, didn't say they couldn't! Point was that soxtalk is hypercritical on the failings of every other organizations farm system, but padres are well suited to fill pitching soon. You think all their top 100 pitching prospects will fall off with another year, I think some may rise to the top faster than you expect. Good thing about investing in intl spending like Preller does is even if you have players drop off, you have more reserves that suddenly grow and get better.

It's a great concept I wish the white sox would follow.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Assumption has always been if no Manny, then Yoan plays 3rd in 2019.  If you get Manny, then Yolmer would be backup 3rd baseman.

No it has not. Yoan is not getting moved just.... because.

Edited by mqr

Friendly reminder that Yoan taking grounders at a different position, generalized quotes from players, and assumptions by sports-people are completely baseless and one should be weary of making even the slightest conclusions based off of them. 

We don't know jack right now... all we know is that things are heating up and the Padres appear to be real competition for Machado. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

cool, didn't say they couldn't! Point was that soxtalk is hypercritical on the failings of every other organizations farm system, but padres are well suited to fill pitching soon. You think all their top 100 pitching prospects will fall off with another year, I think some may rise to the top faster than you expect. Good thing about investing in intl spending like Preller does is even if you have players drop off, you have more reserves that suddenly grow and get better.

It's a great concept I wish the white sox would follow.

I would still say that the Sox pitching situation is much h better off than the Padres for the next few years. I have no idea if they will fall off or rise faster to the top. With most of them in A ball they are at about 3 years away if they follow typical progression. 

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Friendly reminder that Yoan taking grounders at a different position, generalized quotes from players, and assumptions by sports-people are completely baseless and one should be weary of making even the slightest conclusions based off of them. 

We don't know jack right now... all we know is that things are heating up and the Padres appear to be real competition for Machado. 

100% agree.. good post

2 minutes ago, TTSox22 said:

Would TA move to 2nd and Yoan to 3rd so Manny gets his SS?

To me, it would be really selfish if Manny signed with the White Sox and demanded he play shortstop. Manny playing 3rd would make the team better and more likely to be in contention. Does he want to play SS more than he wants to win? 

I take this news as great for 3 reasons. 

1. They really think Yoan's Power will be established. Power at the corner's is huge. 

2. Madrigal definitely is going to be on a fast track...this team needs a high OBP leadoff hitter...He will be it. 

3. When we sign Manny, he can be spelled by Yoan for a couple days and ultimately they can figure out his best long-term fit. 

Flexibility is awesome. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

To me, it would be really selfish if Manny signed with the White Sox and demanded he play shortstop. Manny playing 3rd would make the team better and more likely to be in contention. Does he want to play SS more than he wants to win? 

It sounded like the SS stuff was largely an attempt to increase his value.  If the top bidder wants him at 3B, he’ll be at 3B.  I believe he’s already signaled that, if reports are accurate at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

1. They really think Yoan's Power will be established. Power at the corner's is huge. 

2. Madrigal definitely is going to be on a fast track...this team needs a high OBP leadoff hitter...He will be it. 

3. When we sign Manny, he can be spelled by Yoan for a couple days and ultimately they can figure out his best long-term fit. 

Flexibility is awesome. 

It's really hard to have a high OBP when you don't take walks

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Flexibility is awesome. 

Can we please, please, please let Madrigal show us he can slug better than.350 in A ball before we starting putting his name in the line up in sharpie?

• Like 2

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Can we also quit being worried about a .350 Slg% for 2 months of a pro debut from aluminium to wood?

While recovering from a wrist injury and playing to a championship that lead to the most baseball he’s ever played during a year

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres