Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Funny that there are some people worried about a $35 million AAV as opposed to $30 million AAV.  That’s one mediocre player off the roster, like Jon Jay for example...  or any one of the countless ~$5 million dollar players the Sox have wasted money on over the years.

Or $20 million on Jay/Alonso/Castillo.  Or almost another $25 million on Nova/Herrera/Colome.

$45 million, gone like that...all for a total fWAR of about 4-5.

If I am reading that tweet correctly:

All three teams are in on both.

Sox and SD are strongest possibilities for Machado.

Philly, SD and Chicago front offices all prefer Machado.

Philly and SD ownership prefer Harper.

Meaning JR prefers Machado?

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Orlando said:

Sox and SD are strongest possibilities Machado.

Nailed it 

Just now, beckham15 said:

Sounds like he also said that the ownership for Philly and San Diego prefer Harper over Machado....so there is that

I read it more as "we know WS ownership is all in on Machado because he's literally at the bargaining table, and while all three prefer Machado, SD and PHI ownership may not be as enthusiastic".

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Sox and SD are strongest possibilities Machado.

No, it sounds like Philly, SD and the Sox all prefer Machado over Harper

9 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

If the Sox don’t land Machado, Rich Hahn is surely going to look like a clown.  $13 million for Alonso and Jay looks fine if Machado is wearing a Sox fan but it looks like crap if Machado is a Padre.  Imagine having to watch Alonso and Jay play for a Machado-less Sox team?  Puke city.

That’s why I’ve been optimistic of our chances. Would Hahn trade for Alonso and sign Jay as a way around paying him more....to just add 13 million in another spot?  Hahn is intelligent enough to understand playing alongside friends/family doesn’t justify Machado turning down millions. For it to happen had to mean something more than Machado making demands

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No, it sounds like Philly, SD and the Sox all prefer Machado over Harper

I think he's saying all 3 Front Offices prefer Machado, but the owners in Philly and SD might not be so sure they prefer Machado over Harper, likely because Harper is the bigger marketing play.

Harper is more likely to translate to dollars, Machado is more likely to translate to wins. Front Offices want wins, owners want dollars.

White Sox FO and ownership seem to both agree on Machado being the best fit. That's how I understand his tweet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think he's saying all 3 Front Offices prefer Machado, but the owners in Philly and SD might not be so sure they prefer Machado over Harper, likely because Harper is the bigger marketing play.

Harper is more likely to translate to dollars, Machado is more likely to translate to wins. Front Offices want wins, owners want dollars.

White Sox FO and ownership seem to both agree on Machado being the best fit. That's how I understand his tweet.

Yep, and I believe Heyman said a few weeks ago that Padres might prefer Harper because of his prestige.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

This is how I read it as well.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres