Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Gio on a year deal is interesting to line up for when cease is ready...and makes you a bit more competitive this year... adding Keuchel means you are giving up on either Giolito or Lopez for 2020 since that rotation should be...

Rodon

Kopech

Cease

Keuchel

Lopez

6th starter - Giolito with Dunning breathing down his neck.

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

*** that being said, if Harpers market is bad too (let's say Manny signs for 8/260 or something... which is well below the projections of the 10/330 type deals before the offseason starts) then I think you a FINAL and BEST offer to Harper and walk. Be like we'll do 10 years and $340mm... take or leave it. 

Why with this strategy? Just sign Machado, then focus on signing Harper properly without any ultimatums. 

White Sox should get both and I think it's realistic that they do. 

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I've seen some posts with future lineups including Machado and Harper, and as much as I like that idea, how realistic is it?  Provided the Sox sign Machado, what other moves should they make if not Harper?  Would adding Pollack make any sense at this point since Jay was signed?  Another starter would be great along with a little more bullpen help. 

Now, if they get Machado and not Harper than there's a few ways they can go of course. 

Our OF still sucks. Eloy is the only real piece. Jay is fine. Signing Pollock would make sense then. I'd be cool with that. 

Bullpen is kinda set right now. Sure it'd be *nice* to get another piece, but I think that the W'Sox feel it's safe. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

You're right that each team has its own goals, but they are also trying to sign the player for as little money as possible. The Sox might have set a 10 year/330 limit for Machado, but could still be offering 7/250 at this point. Manny has a set number he wants, but it looks like he's not going to get it. So this is about beating the other team's offer, provided Manny wants to sign for the most money.

Meh, that's kinda true, but money might be the thing that the Sox are willing give. They are trying to sign him for a package that works for their franchise. Part of that is money, part is opt outs, part is no trade clauses, options, suites on the road, etc. In other words, it's easy to say that Machado wants $325M, but what is he willing to give up to get it? Trade protections? Opt outs? The Sox might be willing to go 10/$350, but they need flexibility to trade him if the deal isn't working out. Does Manny want a full no-trade too so he can negotiate a payment to waive the clause? This is how deals get complicated and take time to complete.

I guess I should add that a player might only care about final dollars and the rest is window dressing. For the Sox, as a rebuilding organization, the money has to be high, but the player has to feel like they can leave if the team isn't competing. I think that's where this deal is right now. That's a tough hill to climb.

Edited by G&T
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

How does Machado getting $260 and Harper getting $340 play out in the clubhouse?   I am thinking not well.

Makes no difference compared to any other club. Why would it be a problem? Everyone knows the game. 

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why with this strategy? Just sign Machado, then focus on signing Harper properly without any ultimatums. 

White Sox should get both and I think it's realistic that they do. 

Now, if they get Machado and not Harper than there's a few ways they can go of course. 

Our OF still sucks. Eloy is the only real piece. Jay is fine. Signing Pollock would make sense then. I'd be cool with that. 

Bullpen is kinda set right now. Sure it'd be *nice* to get another piece, but I think that the W'Sox feel it's safe. 

I think you quoted the wrong person, or I posted something I have no memory of typing, hahahaahhahahaha

We have to keep in mind that no one knows what the actual offers have been...aside from the Sox and Machado of course.  Regardless, he's going to want more than $200M over 7 years.  If it ends up being a 7-year deal, the total money will have to be closer to $250M.  

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think you quoted the wrong person, or I posted something I have no memory of typing, hahahaahhahahaha

I thought the same thing.  It was my post with your username.  I thought maybe the mods changed my name...they did that once before when I was slightly hammered and asking about how to change my username.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

If this is true, no way we get Machado, unless the other offers are just not at all what they thought would be. Starting to think Machado to Philly...

Y2Jimmy has already said that the Sox aren't being cheap and has implied that the offer is (or will be) much greater than that.  I'd bet good money that the Sox fed this info to Bob in order to depress the Phillies offer.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

All these reports that the White Sox and Phillies are the final 2. But with an offer off $200 million, there is no way the Yankees aren’t involved.

Yep. Because the Yanks might not be offering $200m, but current offers around $200m would put them in the ballpark with something like 6 years/$175 mil. No way they are out if that's actually where the bidding is at this point.

Edited by Roughneck

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

All these reports that the White Sox and Phillies are the final 2. But with an offer off $200 million, there is no way the Yankees aren’t involved.

I actually remember hearing that Yankees were like 5 years 150 or so (rumors)  so this actually would be 50 million more. I just can't see Phillies coming in under 250-275 though. 

I will say this, if Machado and Harper both end up signing for less than $300M, if i'm the players I go on strike on August 1st, 2019. No waiting. Too many players are getting screwed. They can't afford to wait this out. There is nothing that prevents them from going on strike and negotiating a better deal. 

If we as fans can figure that these tweets about low offers are a possible way to get other teams to react, don't you think the teams are smart enough to realize that?  I can't imagine the Phillies seeing these tweets and saying, "Okay we only need to offer $225M to get him."

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I will say this, if Machado and Harper both end up signing for less than $300M, if i'm the players I go on strike on August 1st, 2019. No waiting. Too many players are getting screwed. They can't afford to wait this out. There is nothing that prevents them from going on strike and negotiating a better deal. 

Big changes are absolutely needed. I haven't spent too much time looking into it -- but it feels like Executives in the front office are pocketing more of the money and are using the young players who make next to nothing to field their team. MLB Players need to get paid significantly more for the years that they are valuable (younger years). 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres