Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So essentially the guy watered down the report that got everyone so excited today. Awesome. 

I don’t think he watered it down in my opinion, I just think he was very sensitive how it was portrayed in that article headline and didn’t want people to run with it like something was imminent.....however, now that I’m off work everything calms down.....so that’s a bummer

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

I don’t think he watered it down in my opinion, I just think he was very sensitive how it was portrayed in that article headline and didn’t want people to run with it like something was imminent.....however, now that I’m off work everything calms down.....so that’s a bummer

I think things heat up later tonight.

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well, I disagree. I feel like you are assuming it’s 10 years, 250.

If it’s 7 years 240, and gets philly to go 8 / 275. You are the well on your way to 300

I think everyone assumed the contract would be over $300 mil in general; probably closer to 10 years with early opt-outs for Machado. Like I said, the Sox were seen as the team with the deep pockets which couldn't promise the allure of NY or the win-now possibilities of NY or PHI. So I don't see how Machado's camp leaking that the Sox started the bidding at 7/240 would get NYY or PHI to bid up, because I think they were there or higher to begin with, unless all reports were way off on his value. Even then, 8/275 is still a ways from $300. And why would Manny want to forgo the extra 2 years and hit free agency at age 34? I don't think these rumored numbers get any team in that range to bid up to 10 years or $300m, but I guess we'll see.

13 minutes ago, G&T said:

The Sox didn’t make a formal offer (whatever that means) without some material terms being in the ballpark of what Machado wants. Further, they wouldn’t be the first team to make the offer if they didn’t think it would hold up against any other team. 

I agree. But I think the "closer to $200 than $300" line is pure BS. I think he will get over $300 million, and if the Sox did come in at $250, they would be ignored. I think the Yankees are bidding the least of these three teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at or above $250 themselves.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So essentially the guy watered down the report that got everyone so excited today. Awesome. 

The WSD and Bilek stuff was way better anyway. As usual they got glossed over and the more substantial but lesser quality report got discussed more 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The WSD and Bilek stuff was way better anyway. As usual they got glossed over and the more substantial but lesser quality report got discussed more 

I didn’t see raBBit’s most recent tweet but it does make the Machado situation sound promising:

Edited by Chicago White Sox

If its true that Manny just received his first then its going to be a bit longer.

Edit: this post is not in response to Brian's tweet. I just think it will be a bit longer due to the others teams needing to put in their bids and then some time for teams to make final offers.

Edited by BlackSox13

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not trying to be a hater or doubter in the slightest, but does anyone know what bucket has leaked in the past?  I’ve been around here a long time and can’t recall anything specifically.

Just trying to figure how his rumor might fit in with the Machado stuff.

What is Bucket's new username? 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Could you send me a link to this rumor he posted? I can't find him in the search bar. 

He said Sox like their chances with Harper.

Also said, Cubs are not a threat don't believe media reports.

EDIT: fixed.

Edited by justBLAZE

33 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I think everyone assumed the contract would be over $300 mil in general; probably closer to 10 years with early opt-outs for Machado. Like I said, the Sox were seen as the team with the deep pockets which couldn't promise the allure of NY or the win-now possibilities of NY or PHI. So I don't see how Machado's camp leaking that the Sox started the bidding at 7/240 would get NYY or PHI to bid up, because I think they were there or higher to begin with, unless all reports were way off on his value. Even then, 8/275 is still a ways from $300. And why would Manny want to forgo the extra 2 years and hit free agency at age 34? I don't think these rumored numbers get any team in that range to bid up to 10 years or $300m, but I guess we'll see.

I agree. But I think the "closer to $200 than $300" line is pure BS. I think he will get over $300 million, and if the Sox did come in at $250, they would be ignored. I think the Yankees are bidding the least of these three teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at or above $250 themselves.

Let’s hypothetically say the Sox offered something along the lines of 7/238 with an AAV of $34 million. That is hardly an offer to sneeze at.

The Sox would be paying top dollar for him until he’s 34, at which the chances he declines are very real. Teams are going to get leery of paying a $100 million premium for a player in his mid 30’s. Not saying they wouldn’t go higher, but you are playing with fire the more years and dollars you add.

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Let’s hypothetically say the Sox offered something along the lines of 7/238 with an AAV of $34 million. That is hardly an offer to sneeze at.

The Sox would be paying top dollar for him until he’s 34, at which the chances he declines are very real. Teams are going to get leery of paying a $100 million premium for a player in his mid 30’s. Not saying they wouldn’t go higher, but you are playing with fire the more years and dollars you add.

Then why not just go back to Washington, if that's actually the case?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres