Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Agreed. But they may not have a choice if they want Manny. Maybe it would change after a year. This situation was another reason I would prefer Harper. Since the beginning  I said Anerson would need to move to CF if they acquired Machado.

If he is 100% on being a SS, I would pass on him.

First time poster, appreciate the sensical talk (most of the time). Would love to give my reasoning to bring a sense of comfort on why I feel the Phillies and White Sox will end up with Harper and Machado; based on process of elimination. 

Harper between Phillies, Dodgers, Nats; Signs with Phillies
Why not Dodgers- they’ve been to the World Series the last two years. Harper is not the missing piece. He has no fit in their current roster. Lefty loaded lineup (especially OFers). Would essentially have to trade Verdugo to make it work, who is cheap and talented.  Andrew Friedman is smart with money, there are better pieces such as righty Pollock in CF.  Rotation with 4.02 ERA in playoffs w/ Hill and Ryu entering Free Agency next year. They need that money desperately for starters and relievers. 

Why not Nats- I’m shocked they’re still in discussions. Firstly, they have no money. And secondly, how are they not happy with Eaton, Soto, Robles, and Andrew Stevenson. You’re not spending it all on Harper to play 1B, when you’ll have holes everywhere else on the infield after this year.  

Machado between Sox, Yankees, Phillies; Signs with Sox
Why not Yankees- they don’t need another superstar. Player caliber team w/ an already ridiculous lineup and a guy at 3B that has the potential to be as good as Machado in a few years at 1/25th of the price. They need reliable starters. Paxton, Tanaka, Sabathia cannot be expected to stay healthy.  I think they are playing it exactly right by sticking to their original price because he is not worth more than that for their team.

Why not Phillies- They get Harper. If they don’t then we’re screwed. Regardless, their lineup is filled with rightys, they need an impact lefty bat DESPERATELY and should stay focused on Harper

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

He hit over .300 in Low-A and High-A. He wasn’t drafted for power. He was drafted to hit atop the lineup and get on base. I think we can see Madrigal this year because in his short stint in the minors, he has done that so far.

Yep. The kid had alot going on last year with being such a highly touted drafted, long college season that lead to another championship and dealt with an injury. To judge him based on his first few months of pro ball would be foolish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yep. The kid had alot going on last year with being such a highly touted drafted, long college season that lead to another championship and dealt with an injury. To judge him based on his first few months of pro ball would be foolish.

I’m very pleased with his time in the minors. If he can get on base at well over a .300 clip, that’s exactly what the White Sox need. 

Madrigal at the top of the lineup getting on base, with Robert, Abreu, Jimenez and possibly Machado following him in the lineup, that sounds pretty amazing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rather than trade Madrigal prematurely, you could do what the actual good clubs do, and utilize this player with great baseball IQ around the diamond and just have 4 great players when they would have only had 3. Madrigal is great because he can accommodate you.

Is there any indication that Madrigal would be serviceable at SS, much less 3RD? I doubt that he has the arm for 3RD, and I'm not sure about his ability to play SS, although I understand that he did play there, in high school.

Just now, Lillian said:

Is there any indication that Madrigal would be serviceable at SS, much less 3RD? I doubt that he has the arm for 3RD, and I'm not sure about his ability to play SS, although I understand that he did play there, in high school.

The only reason Madrigal did not play SS in college was because Caden Grenier was the best defensive SS in the country. Madrigal could likely be serviceable at SS, and above average at 2B defensively. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’m very pleased with his time in the minors. If he can get on base at well over a .300 clip, that’s exactly what the White Sox need. 

Madrigal at the top of the lineup getting on base, with Robert, Abreu, Jimenez and possibly Machado following him in the lineup, that sounds pretty amazing.

I think his contact skills play best in the #2 hole.

Just now, bmags said:

I have to say I'm a bit annoyed to even hear we are "even" with Philly. 

Interesting to note that we have heard nothing with regards to the White Sox and Harper in nearly a month, but technically we are not "out" on him. 

Machado must be more likely to ink?

1 hour ago, shipps said:

If I remember correctly weren’t the Sox the ones who floated the idea of moving Moncada to third next year? They had to do that with the knowledge that they might acquire Machado in the off season. I just can’t remember if it was just speculation or if Moncada confirmed they floated that idea?....

They didn't float the idea.  They were asked about it and said it could happen.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

“I don’t think they need to go out and get Harper and Machado,” Ryan Howard said. “If you miss out, that’s not the worst thing. Because there’s a guy named Mike Trout — who I believe has season Eagles tickets — who’s there every week … Build your roster, build your team up to where you can go make a run at Trout if you’ve got that stupid money, and you’re looking to drop it."

http://www.philly.com/phillies/ryan-howard-phillies-mlb-network-espn-bryce-harper-manny-machado-20190109.html

I wonder if this was a plant by Philly FO to start cushioning the blow of losing out on both?

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Interesting to note that we have heard nothing with regards to the White Sox and Harper in nearly a month, but technically we are not "out" on him. 

Machado must be more likely to ink?

Maybe they were told Bryce is waiting for Machado to sign with a team first.

Edited by soxfan2014

13 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

First time poster, appreciate the sensical talk (most of the time). Would love to give my reasoning to bring a sense of comfort on why I feel the Phillies and White Sox will end up with Harper and Machado; based on process of elimination. 

Harper between Phillies, Dodgers, Nats; Signs with Phillies
Why not Dodgers- they’ve been to the World Series the last two years. Harper is not the missing piece. He has no fit in their current roster. Lefty loaded lineup (especially OFers). Would essentially have to trade Verdugo to make it work, who is cheap and talented.  Andrew Friedman is smart with money, there are better pieces such as righty Pollock in CF.  Rotation with 4.02 ERA in playoffs w/ Hill and Ryu entering Free Agency next year. They need that money desperately for starters and relievers. 

Why not Nats- I’m shocked they’re still in discussions. Firstly, they have no money. And secondly, how are they not happy with Eaton, Soto, Robles, and Andrew Stevenson. You’re not spending it all on Harper to play 1B, when you’ll have holes everywhere else on the infield after this year.  

Machado between Sox, Yankees, Phillies; Signs with Sox
Why not Yankees- they don’t need another superstar. Player caliber team w/ an already ridiculous lineup and a guy at 3B that has the potential to be as good as Machado in a few years at 1/25th of the price. They need reliable starters. Paxton, Tanaka, Sabathia cannot be expected to stay healthy.  I think they are playing it exactly right by sticking to their original price because he is not worth more than that for their team.

Why not Phillies- They get Harper. If they don’t then we’re screwed. Regardless, their lineup is filled with rightys, they need an impact lefty bat DESPERATELY and should stay focused on Harper

Welcome to Soxtalk!

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Arm is the most overrated freaking trait in baseball. There are more good players with less than ideal arms in their position then position-perfect arms that you want to keep around. Obviously it would be great if he had a cannon, but he has really quick exchanges and that may make whatever deficiencies he'd have equal.

And if he has value offensively than we won't care that much.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Next thing we are going to see is the Whitesox hiring that high school coach as part of Renteria’s staff to try and trump the Phillies hiring 😂

Not a bad idea.  You can keep a coach friend on the bench for his entire contract and not disrupt much even if he can't coach.  Exactly how long are the aging player friends supposed to sit on the 25 if they can't play?

11 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Madrigal as he was last year in our minors will not get on base at well over a .300 clip in the big leagues. The biggest red flag is his ground ball rate - it was substantially higher than literally anyone in the big leagues. If he comes up rapidly and is doing the same thing, with better defenses and better pitching in the big leagues, his numbers will plummet. You may not care about HR from him, but he needs to hit line drives and put the ball in the outfield - his HR numbers may not matter, but his 2b and 3b numbers do because those are things that guys get when they are hitting the ball hard.

People have said that we shouldn't put stock in those numbers at A ball last year because he was coming off a long college season and he also had a wrist injury, I can understand that, but I also don't know that a wrist injury leads to such a high ground ball rate as much as an approach that hits the ball on the ground. If we're going to rush him upwards, then at the very least we need to see a dramatic drop in that ground ball rate and a lot more extra base hits - the extra base hits will tell you that he's hitting the ball with authority into the outfield. It may not translate to HR power, but he will not be a strong big leaguer without that.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres