Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not a bad idea.  You can keep a coach friend on the bench for his entire contract and not disrupt much even if he can't coach.  Exactly how long are the aging player friends supposed to sit on the 25 if they can't play?

Well they are only guaranteed one year. It does seem like this coach will have some kind of made up role haha

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I would agree depending on the return. I don't think Moncada would really have much value yet. I wonder what the market would be for Anderson given his contract control.

If Moncada seriously improves next year and Madrigal is as good in the minors as people tell me he's going to be - then I think Madrigal + either Dunning or Hansen (whoever has the better year, hell maybe both of them) is the start of a serious offer for Blake Snell. You do that, with an infield of Machado, Anderson, Moncada, the catchers up, Eloy in the OF, and another year of pitching staff development - now you've got something that looks like a contender.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seeing as we are talking to Bryce Harper with a minor league system loaded with OF's I am not sure if that would be true or not

Sorry I meant if it weren't for the Tatis trade we would not be in the position of talking to two generational talents with a stacked minor league system. Not that we would be better off with Tatis. I've always looked at that trade as the last chance to contend with that core. 

Edited by Sockin

28 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

First time poster, appreciate the sensical talk (most of the time). Would love to give my reasoning to bring a sense of comfort on why I feel the Phillies and White Sox will end up with Harper and Machado; based on process of elimination. 

Harper between Phillies, Dodgers, Nats; Signs with Phillies
Why not Dodgers- they’ve been to the World Series the last two years. Harper is not the missing piece. He has no fit in their current roster. Lefty loaded lineup (especially OFers). Would essentially have to trade Verdugo to make it work, who is cheap and talented.  Andrew Friedman is smart with money, there are better pieces such as righty Pollock in CF.  Rotation with 4.02 ERA in playoffs w/ Hill and Ryu entering Free Agency next year. They need that money desperately for starters and relievers. 

Why not Nats- I’m shocked they’re still in discussions. Firstly, they have no money. And secondly, how are they not happy with Eaton, Soto, Robles, and Andrew Stevenson. You’re not spending it all on Harper to play 1B, when you’ll have holes everywhere else on the infield after this year.  

Machado between Sox, Yankees, Phillies; Signs with Sox
Why not Yankees- they don’t need another superstar. Player caliber team w/ an already ridiculous lineup and a guy at 3B that has the potential to be as good as Machado in a few years at 1/25th of the price. They need reliable starters. Paxton, Tanaka, Sabathia cannot be expected to stay healthy.  I think they are playing it exactly right by sticking to their original price because he is not worth more than that for their team.

Why not Phillies- They get Harper. If they don’t then we’re screwed. Regardless, their lineup is filled with rightys, they need an impact lefty bat DESPERATELY and should stay focused on Harper

Nice analysis.  One note is that there is probably a lot of BS that has been floated.  But Jon Heyman posted when this all started, that Manny said he wanted to return to a team  the East Coast.  Like the demand to play SS, we don't know how high that is on his wish list. 

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Sorry I meant if it weren't for the Tatis trade we would not be in the position of talking to two generational talents with a stacked minor league system. Not that we would be better off with Tatis. I've always looked at that trade as the last chance to contend with that core. 

Someone else said this, but I don't follow this line of reasoning. We wouldn't have rebuilt if we didn't get Shields? Shields wasn't very good, but it's not like he tanked some would-be playoff teams. And Tatis obviously wouldn't have contributed to the MLB roster yet. I think they are in a similar spot, just with another top 10 prospect.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Madrigal as he was last year in our minors will not get on base at well over a .300 clip in the big leagues. The biggest red flag is his ground ball rate - it was substantially higher than literally anyone in the big leagues.

This is just plainly false. Among qualified hitters he wouldn't have even lead (or finished last?) the major leagues in GB%. Ian Desmond, Eric Hosmer, Jon Jay(!), and Jonathan Villar all had higher ground ball rates than Madrigal did last year in the minors. If you drop the PAs to 170, which Madrigal would have qualified for he drops to 13th just ahead of Dee Gordon.

Looking at the list of the highest ground ball rates is not exactly a who's who of the best hitters in baseball, but Lorenzo Cain, Juan Soto, and Christian Yelich all had 50% ground ball rates. Madrigal's 55.4% coming off a broken wrist in his first taste of pro ball isn't alarming to me.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sockin said:

How could we not be better off with Tatis?
The Tatis trade did make the major league team much worse, but not that much worse such that a rebuild wouldn't have been in order. 

3 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

There was nothing to suggest though that Shields was hurt at the time he was traded.

I agree. They obviously had at least 2 sets of records, but whatever Shields' accurate records showed was very unlikely to kill the trade. The one thing he did do was hold up physically.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This would be so much easier if Machado would be a team player and play 3rd base. Shifting Anderson and Moncada around is a terrible idea.

We don't know that this is the hold. It's speculation that and it probably isn't even that much of a factor.

My God this board needs a real rumor.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres