Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Tatis talk not enough to get us through the day? I was talking to a younger friend at work about 1994. Just looked at the stats of that team and am once again enraged. The owners should have locked the players out after 93 so it didn't get to that. Holy crap, that team was insane.

Hopefully we get Machado today because I want to punch something now.

Edited by Roughneck

5 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

long time follower of the board as a guest, first time posting. excited to contribute to the board. hoping this free agency hurries the hell up and turns out well. refreshing this board every so minutes has become a real chore.

Well said new good sir ( or madam ) - well said.

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

As long as Cease stays healthy.  

You have a feeling that Tatis can put up huge WAR numbers simply because of his position and strong defensive stats...so it’s not unlike Harper vs. Machado when one weighs Tatis vs. Eloy.  Personal preference.

As long as Cease stays healthy? So if he doesn't OR he is no better than a 3 or 4 but Eloy is a Miguel Cabrera-type player, it's not a trade that the Sox won? Don't be a fool.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Please, everyone pretend like Tatis was never in the Sox org, because he wasn't. It is easier that way. They fucked up, it happens. 

It randomly showing up in all threads is penance for all the times people said that trading away prospects was the right thing to do because it never came back to hurt us.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

It randomly showing up in all threads is penance for all the times people said that trading away prospects was the right thing to do because it never came back to hurt us.

This is truth. It would have been nice to have prime Gio Gonzalez as well. He might have been the difference in 2012. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

It appears that priority one for Sox is MM and priority one for Phil’s is Harper. Both are going to over pay for their number one priority. That’s the way this is going to play out this weekend boys. It’s clear to me now! :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Gio was good though. I was reading a Jayson Stark thread on player acquisitions and its effect on attendance, one was the Cabrera trade.

I remember how far our proposed package felt from what the tigers offered to get Cabrera, but in retrospect I think the sox actually offered the best package of all of the rumored ones. Man, one player never makes that big of a difference but I swear had we landed cabrera sox would have been in playoffs 09-12.

3 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

he was 17 at the time. no way of knowing he would be this good. it can happen to any org...

So, I know I'm prolonging this debate we all want to end, but Tatis blew up on the radar like 6 months after he was traded, he was only 18. It's not like a josh donaldson where years later he became amazing.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Q was a bad trade for the Cubs.  They overpaid.
Tatis was an absolutely horrendous trade for the White Sox.   Much worse in degree.   Shields should have been nothing but a salary dump for an org guy.

Tatis hadn't even picked up a professional at bat yet. He wasn't even an org guy.

3 minutes ago, Spod=Ratings said:

And what a great trade that was. Freddy Garcia is a White Sox legend.

2/3 years he was great. After that, he became Flamethrower Freddy. Intimidation had a new name......86mph. 

(I'm sure all of the SoxTalk oldtimers would get the reference) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

It appears that priority one for Sox is MM and priority one for Phil’s is Harper. Both are going to over pay for their number one priority. That’s the way this is going to play out this weekend boys. It’s clear to me now! :) 

I would not be so sure about that. The Sox are still very much in on Harper.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres