Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I agree though hes not going there and I didnt bring it up originally. Just saying that its a scenario where they can shift guys around and Turner was already successful out there.

Sure, but they also have Soto, Robles, Eaton, and Michael Taylor. It's one thing to retain Harper, but even without him they'll have a pretty good outfield. Forcing two guys out of position to shoehorn in a player where you don't have a need doesn't make a ton of sense.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

It's sad that it's gotten to the point now where if the last message in this thread says "1 minute ago" as opposed to "just now", I know nothing important has happened.

The worst is when I back out for say a half hour and come back to 100+ messages I always think something happened and nope. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

It's sad that it's gotten to the point now where if the last message in this thread says "1 minute ago" as opposed to "just now", I know nothing important has happened.

Exactly. I took off from work today since I had days to burn and I really need to go run errands. I look forward to coming back in a few hours to see nothing has still happened.

47 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Or who's to say Machado doesn't say screw it and I'll just sign a 1 year $35 million deal for a team of my choice.  Try Free Agency again next season.    

No way. There is zero, zero indication that next year will be better. Each year frankly seems to be getting worse for everyone except relievers.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

People will be shocked I say this, but way too many people discounting the Cubs and Dodgers for Bryce.  

I don't know, with what betts just got, bryant is gonna be a $20 mill player already. They really do seem up against it.

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If there's something actually newsy watch either the thread title or the pinned whaling news thread. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

image.png

The whole thing is kinda fishy.  I feel like DJ loses like 75% of his value if you're not playing him at 2B.  He's a rockstar with the glove there, his bat isn't what you're really paying for.  I dunno, if you needed someone to play a utility role, why not just go out and get Marwin Gonzalez? 

Just now, bschmaranz said:

The whole thing is kinda fishy.  I feel like DJ loses like 75% of his value if you're not playing him at 2B.  He's a rockstar with the glove there, his bat isn't what you're really paying for.  I dunno, if you needed someone to play a utility role, why not just go out and get Marwin Gonzalez? 

He probably wants more years and I think would cost a draft pick?

1 minute ago, Quin said:

This dude.

It's like he promised someone would buy a Corvette and that person bought a Camaro, Mustang, Charger, and a Jaguar.  "Interesting to note that this person doesn't drive any of these cars on Sundays and alternating Thursdays, so..."

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Gonzalez must be asking for a lot. Only argument I could see against him is he’s not as good as a fielder than LeMehieu

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

The Yankees plan has to be to move Gleyber to SS at this point.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

It's like he promised someone would buy a Corvette and that person bought a Camaro, Mustang, Charger, and a Jaguar.  "Interesting to note that this person doesn't drive any of these cars on Sundays and alternating Thursdays, so..."

More like they went out and bought a Camry and a 92 Ford Explorer

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

He probably wants more years and I think would cost a draft pick?

I think ulimately DJ plays 2B, Gleyber moves to 3b, Andujar traded or 1B. Tulo SS. If Tulo can't hold up, Gleyber is at SS and Andujar stays at 3B. 

It's actually one of the scenerios Cashman mentioned during the Winter Meetings. Sign a 2B and move Torres over.

• Like 1

Mike Lowell said something about Andujar yesterday on MLBN that I agree with. He would much rather have a player who can hit but struggles in the field , than a guy who can't hit but is a great fielder. He said there is a much better chance Andujar will improve in the field than a guy who can't hit learning how to hit.

• Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres