Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He just deactivated.  You have 30 days to reactivate.  Dan's problem, again, is taking the Internet as Serious Business.

Yeah but honestly I dont know if he would have any motivation to come back. He was being harassed on every post that he made. I guess eventually that would die down but man, I think its going to have to be a real long time until he comes back. 

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Why do people think Harper will sign with the Phillies tomorrow? I don't think that's how it works. IF he gets an offer, he will surely do his due diligence and talk to the other teams to see if they can match or better the offer. 

I don't think he will, but it's still a risk that should be on Machado's mind. 

59 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I read the other day they would be hit with a 50% tax, so a 35 million AAV contract turns into a $52.5 million cost.

It would likely be much more than that. Harper would vault them into the 3rd tier, 95% tax. 

Edited by Baker

16 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah but honestly I dont know if he would have any motivation to come back. He was being harassed on every post that he made. I guess eventually that would die down but man, I think its going to have to be a real long time until he comes back. 

He'll come back and he'll be even more popular than before. It's how social media works. The more controversial you are, the more followers you have. Case in point: this thread. We are talking about him and more likely to interact with him now

Really interested to see how the timing of this all plays out. As some have mentioned today would be a good day to do a 24 hour offer for Manny and see how things play out. 

Can you imagine though for one minute...if Bryce really doesn't like the idea of living in Philly and Dodgers won't pay up. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Really interested to see how the timing of this all plays out. As some have mentioned today would be a good day to do a 24 hour offer for Manny and see how things play out. 

Can you imagine though for one minute...if Bryce really doesn't like the idea of living in Philly and Dodgers won't pay up. 

Let's be real here...why would anyone want to live in Philadelphia?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The Cubs would probably become real players.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

maybe the Phillies wouldn't be out of the machado running if they signed harper, but they definitely wouldn't be as "in". I also think that the nats coincidentally being the favorites for harper now is sketchy

There are media people everywhere voicing there opinions ( most probably just hunches). But the ESPN FA update article on Sunday/Monday had the Nats as the favorite for Harper. 

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

As some have mentioned today would be a good day to do a 24 hour offer for Manny and see how things play out. 

That's a bad idea. The Sox want him as much today as they would on Sunday. Why bluff and then give him all the leverage if Harper doesn't sign tomorrow? So can't go crawling back with the offer he already turned down. Now they have to go much higher to get back into the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

There are media people everywhere voicing there opinions ( most probably just hunches). But the ESPN FA update article on Sunday/Monday had the Nats as the favorite for Harper. 

I'm not sure if they actually are or if it's just boras built up speculation. Would make sense either way

I'm not sure where you guys are getting these luxury tax numbers (50%, 95%). 95% are you kidding me?...

The rule is 20% ON ALL OVERAGES for first time offenders. 30% for second time offenders (consecutive years), 50% for third time offenders (consecutive years). It resets to first time if they are under the year prior.  So no, that is not true at all that Bryce will cost them $50+ mil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

I'm not sure where you guys are getting these luxury tax numbers (50%, 95%). 95% are you kidding me?...

The rule is 20% ON ALL OVERAGES for first time offenders. 30% for second time offenders (consecutive years), 50% for third time offenders (consecutive years). It resets to first time if they are under the year prior.  So no, that is not true at all that Bryce will cost them $50+ mil.

To be fair Sox fans havent had to worry too much about luxury taxes for our team...ever. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I saw someone on twitter say that Kevin Millar said that he believes Manny will sign with the white sox. He has said this continually the last couple of weeks..it's pure speculation, but definitely interesting

I saw him yesterday, he said Phillies. His partner Chris said White Sox.

4 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

That's a bad idea. The Sox want him as much today as they would on Sunday. Why bluff and then give him all the leverage if Harper doesn't sign tomorrow? So can't go crawling back with the offer he already turned down. Now they have to go much higher to get back into the game.

I don't think it's a bluff.  You're not foreclosing the opportunity to increase your offer in the future, you're just reminding Lozano that if Harper and the Phillies make real progress tomorrow (not even necessarily a signed deal), that he may have no choice but to accept the Sox current offer.

The incentive for the Sox to get this done today if they can is enormous IMO.  If the Phillies come out of the meeting with Harper tomorrow not particularly confident in their chances of getting him, they are going to turn all their focus back to Machado and potentially start aggressively increasing their offer.  I don't know if the Sox will be able to compete with them on a financial basis if they decide to go all in on Manny.

• Love 1

I just don't see Harper picking Philly over a return to Washington.  Also think Washington will lay in front of that truck before they let him go to a division/arch rival team.  IF we sign Machado, I think Harper's preferred signing order list would be:

1. Nationals

2. Dodgers

3. White Sox

4. Phillies

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres