Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Thats how Hahn likes to do business. I can tell you that Hahn and Boras are in contact frequently. 

Just out of curiosity, do you disclose to your source that you share the info you get? It's pretty neat to have that kind of connection. I'm fairly certain he naturally witholds any info that could hurt negotations or cause huge uproars anyway. But i do get a funny picture in my head of you (however you look) talking to a guy saying "yeah my sox fan buddies on soxtalk are dying for a nugget, you got anything?". 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalSox said:

Nah because I truly believe Machado will sign well before Harper. 

I'd guess Machado signs next week & Harper will follow a week or two after.

Let’s say Machado doesn’t really like Phili and, in his mind, has settled on the Sox. He likes the city of Chicago and really wants to play with his friends. In this completely optimistic hypothetical situation, why wouldn’t Manny just wait it out until Harper signs elsewhere? What is there to lose? Is there any way we lower our offer at that point?

I’m guessing people will say that he risks losing Phili as competition to the Sox if Harper signs with the Phillies, but would we really risk losing them both by lowering our offer?

Maybe if Harper signs with the Sox, then we might decrease our offer to Manny, so I guess that would be the risk.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What happens first, Machado signs or this thread gets to 230 pages?

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What happens first, Machado signs or this thread gets to 230 pages?

230 pages. Too many of us are refreshing and commenting on this thread and this saga seems to just keeps on going and going and going and going.....

1 hour ago, Fuagman said:

I do not know how reliable and in the know this person is, but I have heard from one of the Sox Board Members/Board of Directors as recent as yesterday saying the Sox are heavily in on Harper and one of their biggest competitors for him is the Cinicinnati Reds. 

I know. Hard to believe but that’s what he said.  🤷‍♂️

If true, that would be one helluva mystery team. 

3 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

I definitely do not tell him/her that I am on soxtalk.  The last thing I want to do is get my source in trouble so I'll have to be careful with what I say. I expect that some things are withheld. Maybe I'll get my source really drunk on mimosas tomorrow and I'll get something really good. Add that to the interrogation technique. 

If the Sox are in on both Harper and Machado does that mean there’s no $$$ restrictions for them or have you heard there’s a combined amount they wouldn’t go over?

This all has the feeling of a few years back when some were thinking we were going to sign Cespedes *and* Gorden. There were folks spoofing Rosenthal's Twitter name and "breaking" fake news, we were all up deep into the night refreshing the feed, "Rabbit" had almost enough inside information to suggest a signing...ahh good days, good days!

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I feel its impossible unless you know someone who somehow already works there. I just want like a financial analyst job lol it can be entry level, I'll take a pay cut lol

When I was pursuing my business degree, I wrote Brooks Boyer and gave him my number. A month later, he called me and said ticket sales jobs would be available. They weren’t at the time when I applied, but I was able to intern with the St. Louis Rams. The former marketing manager at the Rams was my manager and her brother actually works for the White Sox. So you really need to know someone there or take a chance and see what response you get.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Curious what position this board thinks MM will play and, if SS, what that means for Anderson...trade?

I won’t be over dramatic and say that kills all of Manny’s value for us, but it def kills some of it. TA is young and has solid offensive production for short, and Manny’s D is best at 3rd and TA’s at SS. Plus third is a giant hole and has been for years. If Machado insists on playing short, forcing us to dump a 26 y/o 20-20 SS, leaving the likes of Yolmer as a full time 3bagger (instead of as a super utility where he is best), he’s not nearly as much of an addition as he would be otherwise.

I think manny is waiting for this thread count to get closer to the total number of millions he’s going to make in his next contract before he signs 🙂

in all seriousness I can’t see this dragging on too much longer probably reaching a decision early next week by the way things are looking

52 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This all has the feeling of a few years back when some were thinking we were going to sign Cespedes *and* Gorden. There were folks spoofing Rosenthal's Twitter name and "breaking" fake news, we were all up deep into the night refreshing the feed, "Rabbit" had almost enough inside information to suggest a signing...ahh good days, good days!

Crazy how that seems like forever ago but it was only 3 offseasons ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unfortunately, at the time of Shakespeare and Marlowe, there were no orange Gatorade buckets...perhaps we can start rewriting the modern-day version.  

Or do it up all Great Gatsby style as a musical.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
Creeps in this petty place from day today
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
the way to dusty death
Out, out brief candle
Life's but a walking shadow
A poor player that struts and frets its hour upon the stage and is heard no more
It is a tale told by an idiot
Full of sound and Fury

Signifying nothing

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres