Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

How can you write off a guy who hasn't even played above A-ball let alone a full season? Fulmer - ok, there's an argument there. Even Collins you could say has been disappointing (but there are plenty of things to like there too). But Burger hasn't even had a chance to show what he's capable yet in a full season.

Because he was a college draft pick, he'll be 23 before he takes an AB in A+ and will not have faced live pitching in 18 months. It is hard to see him doing anything with the Sox. 

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Then why would that post have anything to do with the White Sox like Jose Abreu suggested?

It's implying that Manny has made a decision and Phillies fans don't think he would've chosen them today given that their brass spent the day in a meeting with Harper

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

It's implying that Manny has made a decision and Phillies fans don't think he would've chosen them today given that their brass spent the day in a meeting with Harper

The fact that this mannyjr guy works at Yankee Stadium concerns me, even though the Yankees are considered to be "out" of the hunt for him by most. Given that it's the Yankees we're talking about here and Machado seemingly prefers them, I just can't rule them out for sure.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I saw that but sooo... what's that got to do with anything ? Nothing here for Fathom to be making the sad face about. There's nothing even implied about where Machado is headed.

where did I make a sad face?  If anything, that type of "congrats and good luck" doesn't seem like the type of message you would send to a player coming to your favorite team.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

where did I make a sad face?  If anything, that type of "congrats and good luck" doesn't seem like the type of message you would send to a player coming to your favorite team.

My bad that wasn't a sad face but looked like one at the end of the word new):  but it's really a close parentheses and colon  . Could just be a congrats because he knows he will sign somewhere eventually or maybe he got a new puppy .

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My bad that wasn't a sad face but looked like one at the end of the word new):  but it's really a close parentheses and colon  . Could just be a congrats because he knows he will sign somewhere eventually or maybe he got a new puppy .

for sure, it's why I said "just for fun" instead of discussing the Kardashian's dating history

http://www.philly.com/phillies/bryce-harper-phillies-free-agency-mlb-contract-20190113.html

Phillies really confident....they will get at least one.

Like the line about hiring Machado's gardener.

For some reason, they are sure they will offer the most, the overconfidence here a bit strange, but it has been consistently present since the stupid money comment came out.

The meeting ended as expected without Harper’s signing a contract, yet there are still ways for both parties to label it a success. Harper met with Middleton, general manager Matt Klentak, and manager Gabe Kapler for a few hours on Saturday afternoon before the Phillies' contingent flew back to Philadelphia. The Phillies, according to a source, remain optimistic that they will end the offseason with either Harper or Machado on their roster. 

The White Sox -- who already this winter acquired Machado’s brother-in-law and workout partner and could be looking to add his gardener - are the Phillies’ stiffest competitor to sign Machado. It would not be wise to ever dismiss the Yankees, but the momentum for Machado to land in the Bronx continued to fade on Friday when the Yankees signed second baseman D.J. Lemahieu.

For Machado, it very well could be coming down to the Phillies and White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think the word used was good, Indians duo is an elite one. Considering most playoff teams are at around 40 WAR. Having 4 players accounting for 43% of that target isn’t bad by any means.

How productive that core was is only part of the equation, too. There were years when Sale/Eaton/Abreu/Q were *collectively* making less than what 1 Chris Sale year would be worth as a free agent. Greinke signed for 6/206 despite being an older and less effective pitcher than Sale. Q was regularly putting up ~3.5 fWAR seasons (or better) while making peanuts from the Sox. Per Fangraphs, Quintana had 4 seasons with the White Sox where he produced above 30M in value. The most he was paid by the Sox in one year was 5.4M. Heyward signed for 8/184 with a *very* similar skillset to Eaton, etc. None of the best players on the ~2012-2016 teams were making anything close to their market value. It is impossible to overstate how big of a failure it was for Hahn/KW to not build a contender around them.

13 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

He posted the same pic on twitter (I cannot for the life of me embed a tweet right) under mannyjr99. The comment from him was “#congrats and #good luck #2019season”

You just select the downarrow and choose "copy link to tweet" and post it here.

I haven't been following who this guy is or if it means anything, but Kelvin Herrera follows him on twitter, so that's a random fact.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You just select the downarrow and choose "copy link to tweet" and post it here.

I haven't been following who this guy is or if it means anything, but Kelvin Herrera follows him on twitter, so that's a random fact.

That's odd given that Herrera only follows 62 people, which even for an athlete is not much at all

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres