Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's not necessarily what I meant. I meant that they are still in the rebuild. A signing of either of them just speeds up the rebuild but they should continue the process and not sign some mediocre pitcher. If there was a 26 year old top of the rotation pitcher to sign like the current FA, they should look at it. Otherwise, they will continue with the rebuild.

Have to see what the contract looks like, but if/when there is an opt out it will make it a lot harder to continue with the rebuild. Can’t wait another 2 years if you possibly only have Manny for 4.

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

agree 100%, somebody leaked false info last night, whether it was the ESPN guys or Bob, who knows?

Seems like Passan/Gomez leaks were from the agent side, trying to keep Philly (and Yankees? Mystery team?) bidding up. Nightengale got info from Sox to slow down any other teams upping the bid. 

At this point, also seems like both Harper and Machado are waiting for each other to sign. They both probably think they are better than the other, and want to use the other's contract as leverage.

Edited by maggsmaggs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Woah woah woah. You truly believe this? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and blame this ridiculousness on it being early Monday morning. Holy hell, that is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

Lol cmon guys i said i fear it, not that I believe it. Anyways it wouldn’t be Cease it’d likely be Rodan. You can’t tell me if Hahn(again in a hypothetical overpay) offered Eloy/Abreu/Rodan for Arenado/etc they wouldn’t accept in an instant. He is leaving Colorado, playoff team or not. Are they losing him for nothing? 

But really, some of you guys need to unwind a bit. This is just as likely as the Sox getting Harper and Machado lol

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Lol cmon guys i said i fear it, not that I believe it. Anyways it wouldn’t be Cease it’d likely be Rodan. You can’t tell me if Hahn(again in a hypothetical overpay) offered Eloy/Abreu/Rodan for Arenado/etc they wouldn’t accept in an instant. He is leaving Colorado, playoff team or not. Are they losing him for nothing? 

But really, some of you guys need to unwind a bit. This is just as likely as the Sox getting Harper and Machado lol

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I must have missed this. Where did he say this?

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic and took this quote out of context. Here's what Passan wrote in the final paragraph of his column: "Chicago already has traded for first baseman Yonder Alonso, Machado's brother-in-law, and signed outfielder Jon Jay, a close friend. The transactions by themselves haven't swayed Machado to deem the White Sox a favorite, but they were strong indications of Chicago's seriousness about signing Machado."

edit - I should have reread his article before making that post. Initially I thought Passan was saying the Sox hadn't done enough to be considered the favorites for Machado, when he was just referencing the acquisitions of Alonso & Jay.

Edited by maxjusttyped

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres