Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

It's not just unloading Heyward's contract, it would be unloading his contract without taking significant bad salary in return, which is not going to happen

Or unloading significant major league talent, which you would have to ask if it is even worth it.

3 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Same as it ever was.

And you may find yourself
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Charles the cat" loves to post fake/vague info to get Cubs fans feeling better about themselves. Absolutely nothing to see there. 

If anything, he's tweeting stuff like that to take the spotlight away from the Sox, like he's been known to do in the past. 

Edited by SoCalSox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

I can see the fit - Cubs cut bait with Russell, sign Manny to play SS, knowing they will probably lose Bryant to FA anyway, lock up an elite bat. What I can't see is the $$$ 

Russell isn't their shortstop right now, Baez is.  So they move Baez to 2B, and do what with Zobrist?  Also, good luck finding any playing time at all for Daniel Descalso in that scenario.

Harper is a bad fit for them and Machado is even worse.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Russell isn't their shortstop right now, Baez is.  So they move Baez to 2B, and do what with Zobrist?  Also, good luck finding any playing time at all for Daniel Descalso in that scenario.

Harper is a bad fit for them and Machado is even worse.

They did supposedly want Tulo to be their SS, which shows they're ok with playing Baez at 2B.

Just now, Sockin said:

I am so shocked. 

I'm really worried that the Sox just are waiting this out and he's going to get annoyed and sign with a high offer with no counter opportunity. 

Couldn't agree more.  I get trying to ensure you're not bidding against yourself, but there's also a point where if you leave the door open too much for others, you risk surprises.

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Cubs fans would revolt if they gave up on Bryant for Machado. 

Id find it amusing, but I just cant imagine it. 

12 minutes ago, daggins said:

I can see the fit - Cubs cut bait with Russell, sign Manny to play SS, knowing they will probably lose Bryant to FA anyway, lock up an elite bat. What I can't see is the $$$ 

Eerie that you two are talking here and I have hung out with you both completely separately, nothing sox related either.

It's funny because last offseason I remember the CW on Machado was he would play for whoever pays him, then this offseason switched to he just wanted to be a yankee for a while. I think last offseason was probably correct, and they just wanted Yankees to be an involved bidder.

Anyway seems like Machado is trying like hell to milk the sox out of whatevers left and I feel good about that.

edit: despite us feeling 200 mill is low, it's still a very high number for a mystery team to suddenly cobble together when it was unanticipated. 

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:
Living in a shotgun shack
In another part of the world
Behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

Letting the days go by......

• Like 1

I don’t know how much longer I can go on. Spring training starts feb 23rd. I guess if it goes that long then we just have to wait another 40 days. Another 40 days of rumors and shit.. I can’t take it but it could always be worse. 

I may need therapy when this is all said and done. 

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

And in other news, water is wet.  The union and other players expect free agents to take the top offer, so they can set the market for future players.

The Jay and Alonso acquisitions are back up, just in case the offers are extremely similar.

With this report and the Passan tweet, I think we are seeing the agent starting to sweat over the offers on the table.  Not close to what they were expecting and the agent is trying to create one last ditch effort to gain more.  I bet we are close to a decision.

Just my humble opinion.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres