Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Yes. 

At some point you just have to get your ass up and give him more money and get this done. They've been planning for this offseason for years, don't blow it by dicking around with him. It all comes down to this dude is 26 years old, will move the needle and get fans hopping. Pay the man, make him happy and get it done. 

Edited by Sockin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

At some point you just have to get your ass up and give him more money and get this done. They've been planning for this offseason for years, don't blow it by dicking around with him. It all comes down to this dude is 26 years old, will move the needle and get fans hopping. Pay the man, make him happy and get it done. 

agreed, and by almost all accounts, it seems like the deal would be fair and not some drastic overpay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

I agree with this. I don't mind negotiating tactics but we will need to pay a tax for sucking to get him here. Offer him 8/280 and be done with it. If he wants the extra then he will not get an opt out until after year 5. At this price he also needs to agree to play 3rd base no questions asked. 

10 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Yes!  But at what point do we start looking at Manny and saying...come on, man, sign the best deal that you have!?  If Rick and the boys have put together the best offer they have, then it's time to put it back on Manny and say, sign with the other offer that is keeping you from signing ours!  It's not always the Sox who have to give more.

Edited by FT35

6 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I think they're trying to save and if the market is as thin as it appears, they should try to get the best deal possible.

• Like 2

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I agree with this. I don't mind negotiating tactics but we will need to pay a tax for sucking to get him here. Offer him 8/280 and be done with it. If he wants the extra then he will not get an opt out until after year 5. At this price he also needs to agree to play 3rd base no questions asked. 

100%. We all know players don't want to come here, this franchise doesn't have the mystique of the Cubs. No matter what presentation they gave, no matter what family or friends they've gotten to come here, it really doesn't matter. This is not the time to be penny pinching. They have more than enough flexibility to do this. If it doesn't get done because they didn't want to add something they weren't comfortable with then its all on them. They should know better.

Manny is off somewhere enjoying the offseason as a young millionaire athlete.   

His agent is doing his normal, full-time job. 

The White Sox have no plan B, nor any reason for a plan B. 

I hope this ends soon too, but I don’t see any reason to believe it will. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

28 minutes ago, Saufley said:

MBS said today was D Day

Yes I did.   Everyone is radio silent today.    Weird.  When I went to bed last night everything was going like I was told it would.  Even Merkin was speaking in past tense   But remember what I said today Reinsdorf is now involved.  And I would expect he’s at the Governor’s inauguration which means that any hiccups can’t be dealt with.    I’ll keep trying to get information.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Sockin said:

While I TOTALLY agree with you, don't you think if we say "screw it." and give an offer of like 325 mil they wouldnt just do the same thing as they are doing to us now? May as well stay the course at this lower figure and move up as necessary. I, too, am impatient and tired but if our offer gets topped I would think we would have the opportunity to up our offer again. In Hahn I trust.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan

Problem is sox need one of these guys to be taken seriously. Unfortunately its the price to pay. You guys think the cubs would have be taken seriously if they wouldn't have shelled out of Heyward? 

Edited by JoshPR

4 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Yes I did.   Everyone is radio silent today.    Weird.  When I went to bed last night everything was going like I was told it would.  Even Merkin was speaking in past tense   But remember what I said today Reinsdorf is now involved.  And I would expect he’s at the Governor’s inauguration which means that any hiccups can’t be dealt with.    I’ll keep trying to get information.  

So you don’t think anything will happen today? 

15 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Thanks, knew you would show up! I would hope that RH would have some spending parameters to deal with and just get something done, before pfffff and he's gone.

Edited by Saufley

Guessing Hahn is pretty good at reading the room. He knows how much/long we can go based upon business/economic factors as well as future spending requirements and potential constraints. He also has a handle on who we are bidding against and what it will take to get this to a favorable outcome. I trust him and like our chances unless of course someone goes completely off the grid, in which case not much we can do about it.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres