Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

It's obvious that the player and agent have high expectations and to this point, they have not been met.  I assume Manny and his agent are not in a hurry.  Why should they be?  As long as Manny reports to a team by the report date, no issues (see JD Matinez).  As that date draws near, prices will drop.  Still weeks away.

For the franchise, they are under a little more crunch.  Fan conventions, season tickets, marketing, and merchandising are huge and to have the player signed sooner, is big.

In my opinion, we are at a stare down and we will see who blinks first.  All the leaking is part of the stare down.  I think it's done soon, but we could see February.  The only people that know for sure are the ones in the room.  Everything else is speciation and controlled leaks from each side.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

This goes back to earlier posts, if you don't think Twitter and fan sites are monitored, you are crazy.  It's not Rick himself sitting at a computer, but lower staff members are.  I am sure it's not influencing, but still informative.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You can sign Machado, and sign a few stopgap guys that don't cost a ton and should help in 2019 and don't block the future or cost us assets. Don't see what the issue is there. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find yourself in contention in this horseshit division in July.  I don't think trading major assets for SP is the right move right now.  I would, however, trade a guy like Rutherford a couple other guys between 15-30 for a controllable SP. But I would not move anyone better than Rutherford.  

Just my personal take. 

100% agree.  By all means take some short-term risks, but I do not want to trade any of our top prospects for a TOR starter.  Let’s see what we have in Rodon, Lopez, & Giolito this year, see where Cease, Dunning, & Hansen are at the end of the season, and allow our glut AA prospects to potentially increase their value substantially with strong seasons.  Next offseason you can look at  adding stud SP via trade if needed.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You can sign Machado, and sign a few stopgap guys that don't cost a ton and should help in 2019 and don't block the future or cost us assets. Don't see what the issue is there. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and find yourself in contention in this horseshit division in July.  I don't think trading major assets for SP is the right move right now.  I would, however, trade a guy like Rutherford a couple other guys between 15-30 for a controllable SP. But I would not move anyone better than Rutherford.  

Just my personal take. 

I'm fine with that too. Just don't want Keuchel nor Pollock.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I'm fine with that too. Just don't want Keuchel nor Pollock.

I don't want them either based on what they were projected to get originally. I could be interested if on much shorter term deals, but I doubt we see either of them on the Sox. 

42 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

So if we are offering 8 for $250, and he wants $300, then throw two extra years on and offer 10 for $300. He'd be getting a lower AAV, but then we might be closer to a deal.

I'd give him 9/300 in this scenario. However, no opt out until after year 5 and full time at third base.  To convince him to stay here more than 5 years I'd give him a 25 million dollar bonus if he makes 6 all star teams while here. That extra 25 million would be worth it for us if he attains it. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

The longer this goes on, the more it seems that giving a record-breaking deal to Harper would have been the better play.

Probably just buyer’s remorse.  

And we’re so conditioned to not getting the big name...last night, it felt like it was close to getting done, that’s already been the case at least twice in the last 2-3 weeks.

It’s fairly easy to start talking yourself into “what could go wrong?”  

Just wonder if we put ourselves too much in the Machado camp, rather than equally going with Harper (Phillies), and whether that “favoritism” and arranging the roster on his behalf will make any difference if they’re still unwilling to go to $300 million?

Of course, if the entire approach was to win a lowball battle under the impossible to predict (two months ago) field of limited suitors, the front office might be better off in Las Vegas...because failing with that type approach is going to be a PR disaster.  

Which is kind of why it doesn’t make much sense to think it wouldn’t eventually come down to the highest bidder all along.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'd give him 9/300 in this scenario. However, no opt out until after year 5 and full time at third base.  To convince him to stay here more than 5 years I'd give him a 25 million dollar bonus if he makes 6 all star teams while here. That extra 25 million would be worth it for us if he attains it. 

Still think the 4 year opt out is the magic number.

Are there any similar contracts that are at 5 and not either 3 or 4...?  

Can’t think of any, but from the position we find ourselves in as a franchise, five is probably expecting too much of a risk to the player unless we remove all doubts with boatloads of money.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The longer this goes on, the more it seems that giving a record-breaking deal to Harper would have been the better play.

Probably just buyer’s remorse.  

And we’re so conditioned to not getting the big name...last night, it felt like it was close to getting done, that’s already been the case at least twice in the last 2-3 weeks.

It’s fairly easy to start talking yourself into “what could go wrong?”  

Just wonder if we put ourselves too much in the Machado camp, rather than equally going with Harper (Phillies), and whether that “favoritism” and arranging the roster on his behalf will make any difference if they’re still unwilling to go to $300 million?

Of course, if the entire approach was to win a lowball battle under the impossible to predict (two months ago) field of limited suitors, the front office might be better off in Las Vegas...because failing with that type approach is going to be a PR disaster.  

Which is kind of why it doesn’t make much sense to think it wouldn’t eventually come down to the highest bidder all along.

Kind of how I feel right now. 

8 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I'd like to see Machado and then maybe a trade for Sonny Gray and a one year deal for a RF (Markakis/Avi/etc.).

I like that. Sonny will be cheap. Avi would be a great platoon with Palka/Alonso. If this Machado move happens the other moves look a ton better. Alonso is a legit lefty power DH/1B. Jay is a good upgrade at CF for a year, gives us a good top of the order hitter. The bullpen has gone from an F to a solid B with serious potential to be knockout bullpen with all the young arms.  Would be a very improved team without any of the future being blocked.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the White Sox were willing to spend "record breaking" money on Bryce then the better play would just be offering more to Manny than they currently have. Record breaking money would also be able to get us Manny.

4 minutes ago, Pal said:

I like that. Sonny will be cheap. Avi would be a great platoon with Palka/Alonso. If this Machado move happens the other moves look a ton better. Alonso is a legit lefty power DH/1B. Jay is a good upgrade at CF for a year, gives us a good top of the order hitter. The bullpen has gone from an F to a solid B with serious potential to be knockout bullpen with all the young arms.  Would be a very improved team without any of the future being blocked.

There have been lots of reports that the Yankees have not backed off a fairly substantial asking price for Sonny Gray, and that they're willing to hold onto him at the back of their rotation due to concerns about Sabathia's health especially early in the season. 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Still think the 4 year opt out is the magic number.

Are there any similar contracts that are at 5 and not either 3 or 4...?  

Can’t think of any, but from the position we find ourselves in as a franchise, five is probably expecting too much of a risk to the player unless we remove all doubts with boatloads of money.

My point is that if his market value is about 270, we overpay him to get that fifth year. Also, adding incentives may convince him to stay for the entire contract. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

If you could get Harper for $350 million or Machado for $300 million...taking Harper would be the best choice.

If I could get those 2 contracts (10 year? reasonable opt out after years 4 or 5?) and I was currently in the position of the Chicago White Sox I would sign them both.

• Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres