Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-manny-machado-netflix-20190114-story.html

Rosenthal (media critic at trib) noting the idea of signing manny in prep for network "launch".

One of the reasons I'm so determined to see sox succeed is I do think this was a major part of their rebuild.

I believe that Hahn sold Reinsdorf on the rebuild by saying the sox would use their assets to get a glut of young talent, allowing them to get one of the whales of 2018 (when it looked better than it did now), and would more quickly be able to build a winner than trying to improve at the margins, largely stuck with a poor farm and exhausted payroll.

The gains of the youth took a hit through injury and developmental sluggishness last year, the gains from fa can't take a similar hit. 

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

At this point, again, someone can come out of nowhere, I'm not sure who is going to give him that.  I guess the only possibility is Nats cave and give Harper what he wants and Phillies give Manny 325.

If the Nat's get harper then all bets are off wiith Machado. I just really don't think the he's going to the Nats

I think Manny is going to hold out for a $300 million+. Some team will eventually give it to him. Manny has a decent leverage too because even if he holds out into print training, he knows he’ll still get a big contract, so why not hold out for what you want?

I still don’t think that Philly gets him, because they would have to give two players well over $600 million. 

But a team will eventually bite on $300 million. Is that a 9, 10, 11, or 12 years? I don’t know. But Manny is too good of a player, and eventually some team will say, you know what, let’s go for it! And they’ll make the splash. I just hope the White Sox are the ones to do it.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-manny-machado-netflix-20190114-story.html

Rosenthal (media critic at trib) noting the idea of signing manny in prep for network "launch".

One of the reasons I'm so determined to see sox succeed is I do think this was a major part of their rebuild.

I believe that Hahn sold Reinsdorf on the rebuild by saying the sox would use their assets to get a glut of young talent, allowing them to get one of the whales of 2018 (when it looked better than it did now), and would more quickly be able to build a winner than trying to improve at the margins, largely stuck with a poor farm and exhausted payroll.

The gains of the youth took a hit through injury and developmental sluggishness last year, the gains from fa can't take a similar hit. 

Great. But they need to close the deal then. This is also why I don't think money is the problem, it's the opt outs that will kill the deal.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is it really that far off if Passan is correct and they’re at 8 years with a willingness to go to ten?

If the Sox truly are at 8/$250M, going to 10/$325M is only $75M more and an average of $32.5M, which is only sightly more than the average they've purportedly offered.

Funny how we use the word "only" when talking about $75M.

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I see zero chance Machado comes close to 325. 

Yeah that's nuts. If the reported $250m deal is accurate, he's nowhere near $325m right now. Right now it's only the Sox and Phillies, so it's super hard to imagine bidding getting so hot that he gets another $75 mil at this point. He might get another 1-2 years or higher AAV, but he's not raising the contract that much at this point in the game.

It will be interesting to see when the opt outs are for each player.  With a labor negotiation on the horizon and a possible work stoppage, the opt outs will be important.  I think it will be a tell on the agents part on what they believe the future holds.

Speaking of labor negotiations, a lot of things will be discussed, but how about a deadline for free agency..........

1 minute ago, Soxman72 said:

Speaking of labor negotiations, a lot of things will be discussed, but how about a deadline for free agency..........

Pretty sure that is completely infeasible. If you don't meet the deadline who gets punished? Player? Team? Both? Good luck on getting either party to sign up for that. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres