Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

21 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Well, let’s start a conversarion then. Do you think the Sox are only willing to go 7 because no one else is forcing their hand or because they are trying to get Manny on a discount? 

Was I just sleepy last night or did we see something about the Phillies jumping back into the Machado sweepstakes? If the Phillies are truly back in then I wonder what their offer is looking like?

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anyone with a subscription? Anything of note?

This stuff is probably going to be addressed via work stoppage, but the MLB absolutely cannot allow these things to continue to last 3-4 months

Edited by mqr

17 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just for the record it was 10 straight losses to open the 1968 season. let's not make it any worse than it was.

My bad. I was in Nam then and only getting bits and pieces of any news. By the time it reached TEN I probably realized the season was over and did not pay much attention to any more Sox news.

Athletic article says Phillies want to wait til February if they have to to use their position of power

The risk of us signing machado early is something theyre willing to put up with, because right now they dont think anyone can match their biggest outlay ability (on either player)

It says Phillies claim in some circles that Machado is their preference -- but that this could be misdirection, and that they truly prefer Harper.

A risk for them is if machado gets signed by a mystery team, Chicago can pivot and throw a ton at Harper. Philly would under this ..risk coming away empty handed

Edited by Princess Dye
  • Thanks 1

Hahn did not get his job by being dumb. He obviously knows baseball, contract negotiations, public relations, and how Sox fans think. I think he knows Sox fans will be UPSET if we strike out on both the whales. Sox fans will not be happy at SoxFest if we have not signed anyone even if neither whale has signed with anyone else by then. Hahn also knows what it would be like at SoxFest if we already have struck out and they signed somewhere else. So I would think SoxFest is as good a target for us to look at as any. It does not HAVE to happen, but it would be a lot easier on not only the fans, but especially Hahn, KW, and JR at SoxFest. If they are SERIOUS about signing Machado or Harper it is time to show us and SoxFest would be a good time.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

There's now this from the Phillies Athletic guy.  Says Philly is willing to wait it out, says they waited to meet with Harper since they weren't sure he'd be interested.

Well, we've waited too. So have we gained a position of strength?

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

There's now this from the Phillies Athletic guy.  Says Philly is willing to wait it out, says they waited to meet with Harper since they weren't sure he'd be interested.

The Sox need to use this to their advantage. Let Manny's camp know that the Phillies are willing to wait it out because they're also interested in another high profile player.  The Sox need to tell Manny we want you NOW, not based off another players decision.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres