Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

13 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

It sure would be nice to get some good news tonight... Manny needs to sign with the Sox to counteract the horrid news I got earlier. My niece passed away today from her battle with cancer.. 

Very sorry to hear that. Sincere condolences.

19 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

It sure would be nice to get some good news tonight... Manny needs to sign with the Sox to counteract the horrid news I got earlier. My niece passed away today from her battle with cancer.. 

sorry for your lost eviljester99

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What the White Sox should not do is bid against themselves. If there's no one else in the bidding, then they have to put together a good enough bid to win, they don't have to win by $75 million - that is money that could be used elsewhere. So, there's benefit to being frugal to a point, and that point is where it's a threat to lose the player.

And what is that point.  The Sox can stick with its 7/210 offer (or whatever it is), wait there until someone tops it, Manny remains dissatisfied and won't sign, then, whoosh, a contender offers him 1/$40 or 2/$75.    What's the Sox next move?

20 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Sorry to hear that, man. I'll say a prayer for y'all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

And what is that point.  The Sox can stick with its 7/210 offer (or whatever it is), wait there until someone tops it, Manny remains dissatisfied and won't sign, then, whoosh, a contender offers him 1/$40 or 2/$75.    What's the Sox next move?

Cut John Jay

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

God bless you and your family in this tough time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Manny Machado will not sign for 1/40 or 2/75. 

22 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

So very sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who is John Jay? 

John Jay was an American statesman, Patriot, diplomat, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, negotiator and signatory of the Treaty of Paris of 1783, second governor of New York, and the first Chief Justice of the United States.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Manny Machado will not sign for 1/40 or 2/75. 

I don't know about that if he views the long term offers as modest. (of course, I don't know what the Sox offer actually is; but if it is 7/$210, I would view that as modest). And I am of the belief that the Sox need to beat the competition by 20% or so to secure his services.
Actually if he doesn't sign with the Sox, I hope he takes a short term deal.  We don't really need him this year, and the Sox major league club may be more presentable a year from now and thus not require a 20% bonus or so many FOMs.

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I don't know about that if views the long term offers as modest.
Actually if he doesn't sign with the Sox, that's what I hope he does.  We don't really need him this year, and the Sox major league club may be more presentable a year from now.

Absolutely not. It would be absolute idiocy to take a short term deal that was worth only $5 million more per season while sacrificing $200 million in guaranteed money. 

If it came down to something like that, he'd insist on an opt out, not a 1 year deal. Twist an ankle, pop the wrong tendon next year and lose out on $160 million?

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I don't know about that if he views the long term offers as modest. (of course, I don't know what the Sox offer actually is; but if it is 7/$210, I would view that as modest). And I am of the belief that the Sox need to beat the competition by 20% or so to secure his services.
Actually if he doesn't sign with the Sox, I hope he takes a short term deal.  We don't really need him this year, and the Sox major league club may be more presentable a year from now and thus not require a 20% bonus or so many FOMs.

Sox dont need to beat philly by 20%. They just need to hit Manny's number. 

No sauces but i think he picks Sox over Phillies all things being the same.

37 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

So sorry brother. 

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres