Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

I realize he doesn't have a "source" but the Harper trip explanation makes some sense. The Phillies glowing review of the meeting with Harper was a very stupid play with Boras on the other side of the table. If it were true, then Boras would see the opening to ask for anything he wanted. But the second part makes no sense because either the Phillies have the best offer or they don't. And if the Machado team is building up the Sox offer, then the Phillies didn't submit a better offer.

Leaving that aside, if there is any truth to the information, it's all bad for Harper who seems to be on the back burner for both teams. I'm very curious to know how that Phillies meeting actually went.

I disagree, I feel fully confident in saying when harper signs it will seem like there is no market outside one team, and yet that team will still be giving him a record breaking contract.

4 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

The worst thing that can happen to the Sox is Harper signing with the Nationals before Machado signs.  If this happens the Phillies will significantly increase their offer and I don't think the Sox will be able to keep up.  

And that’s when the second guessing about “why not just offer him 7/$280 and make one final “best” offer after that...?”

The theory will be that we gave other teams too much time on the sidelines to reconsider their options/positioning.  If this strategy works AND saves money, it’s brilliant.  Of course, if it eventually fails...not so much.

Of course, the alternative is Machado or Harper never wanting to sign with the Sox unless there was no other choice...and assuming the risk to wait it out for the “bigger, better thing” to materialize, ultimately.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Also if the Harper Vegas meeting went so well, he also would have signed. ,

Listen, the player could have a life changing meeting experience with the perfect club offering the perfect scenario including multi-generational wealth for countless lifetimes. A deal of this magnitude and complexity still takes weeks to consummate even for the most astute negotiators. 

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

Listen, the player could have a life changing meeting experience with the perfect club offering the perfect scenario including multi-generational wealth for countless lifetimes. A deal of this magnitude and complexity still takes weeks to consummate even for the most astute negotiators. 

Perspective.  No team is going to come out of a meeting with a free agent player and state “the meeting was just okay.”  If they say anything, both sides will say it was “great”...helps in the recruitment relationship and the negotiations with other teams, respectively.

10 minutes ago, macsandz said:

It's been 3 months now. That my take another 6 months to get done. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did anyone hear on Hot Stove this morning the rumored 3 team deal in which Andujar goes to SD and Kluber to NYY? You'd think that would open the door for them to go get Manny. 

If true, absolutely. Really don’t want to think about Andujar getting traded. All the more reason why the Sox do not want to let this linger on. I get patience but you don’t want others to figure out a way to enter into the fray. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did anyone hear on Hot Stove this morning the rumored 3 team deal in which Andujar goes to SD and Kluber to NYY? You'd think that would open the door for them to go get Manny. 

The issue with the Yankees is money. I don't see how that gets better by moving Andujar's money and adding Kluber's money. Seems to me that they would be further painting themselves into the corner they are already in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

The issue with the Yankees is money. I don't see how that gets better by moving Andujar's money and adding Kluber's money. Seems to me that they would be further painting themselves into the corner they are already in. 

This also could mean the Padres are the mystery team.  If so, they must not have a good feeling about Machado so they are looking elsewhere.  

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I did, but I don't buy it.  Why would the Indians do a three way with the Yankees?  Take the risk of facing Kluber in the playoffs?  I don't think so. 

The Cincinnati and NL landing spots are much more believable.

Edited by Soxman72
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

This also could mean the Padres are the mystery team.  If so, they must not have a good feeling about Machado so they are looking elsewhere.  

I've always thought that the Padres were the mystery team. I'd argue that SD is more desirable than the Sox. Who wouldn't want to live in SD with $250+MM in the bank? 

1 minute ago, Soxman72 said:

I did, but I don't buy it.  Why would the Indians do a three way with the Yankees?  Take the risk of facing Kluber in the playoffs?  I don't think so. 

The Cincinnati and NL landing spots are much more believable.

I agree with this line of thinking. I'd imagine a Reds deal would involve Senzel. Senzel>>>>Andujar as a 3B. Andujar is a borderline 1B/DH. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I've always thought that the Padres were the mystery team. I'd argue that SD is more desirable than the Sox. Who wouldn't want to live in SD with $250+MM in the bank? 

I agree with this line of thinking. I'd imagine a Reds deal would involve Senzel. Senzel>>>>Andujar as a 3B. Andujar is a borderline 1B/DH. 

He is always going to live in Miami. Summer in Chicago isn't too shabby. In fact, it is the city that usually wins favorite road destination by MLB players. 

The Bulls get killed in FA because of weather. Who wants to spend winter here if the money is the same?  But the baseball teams have no issue.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed.  Andujar, if traded, projects AL because of his defense and possible future DH/1B status.  Senzel makes a lot of sense for San Diego, imo.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He is always going to live in Miami. Summer in Chicago isn't too shabby. In fact, it is the city that usually wins favorite road destination by MLB players. 

The Bulls get killed in FA because of weather. Who wants to spend winter here if the money is the same?  But the baseball teams have no issue.

I can think of a few other major issues probably on the list before that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts? They swoop in and have Machado at 3B and "he who shall not be named" at SS.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Well, yeah, but SD is more comfortable than Chicago in the Summer. It doesn't get nearly as hot there as it does here. Maxes out around 85-88 F. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres