Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @BNightengale: The #Whitesox made their 7-year, $175 million offer about two weeks ago and haven’t felt the need to alter it, and  bid against themselves . Just like Martinez last year with #Redsox as @Buster_ESPN points out, whose only other known offer was a one year proposal from #Dbacks

Get with the times - that was so 10 minutes ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

What should they be angry about? I am extremely critical of the White Sox, but why would they bid more than necessary? Who else has a better offer on the table? Of course this all assumes the report is true, a big if.

Hahn will say they’re trying to add premium talent, and first response to him will be “why is your offer so low?”

• Like 2

If the Sox can get Machado for 25-30/yr then Harper is not entirely unrealistic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for both as some posters have speculated. That would take some crazy negotiation savvy but given Reinsdorf's reputation that might be possible.

• Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A hard salary cap will only make this worse. Teams already refuse to go beyond the luxury tax, why would a salary cap suddenly make them want to spend more than they already do? It will not fix what we are seeing these past two off seasons.

It is not the top of the cap that is the problem it is the floor and teams pocketing revenue sharing money as profit.  If you make a team spend $100M that money goes to these middle of the road free agents.   

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A hard salary cap will only make this worse. Teams already refuse to go beyond the luxury tax, why would a salary cap suddenly make them want to spend more than they already do? It will not fix what we are seeing these past two off seasons.

Not if combined with a salary floor and changes to free agency eligibility rules.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hahn will say they’re trying to add premium talent, and first response to him will be “why is your offer so low?”

Then he proceeds to go on and on about misreporting and how much it bothers him even though the team does the same exact thing quite frequently

6 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I'm honestly thinking of deleting twitter and not looking at sox talk until this is all over. This is unbelievable. This whole saga has shown me that nobody, not one insider, knows what's happening or what will happen outside the team or the agent. 

Nice try...you’re in till the end like the rest of us...

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Lack of a salary cap is definitely not the problem in baseball right now. The harshness of the new luxury tax may even be a key problem in getting the best players paid well.

But its the luxury tax threshold that's kept the big spenders out and the White Sox in the mix. Take away that luxury tax threshold and its likely both players are signed to huge contracts with other teams and we would be talking about signing scraps on the FA market.

Without that luxury tax threshold small market teams would begin to vanish. 

5 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

What should they be angry about? I am extremely critical of the White Sox, but why would they bid more than necessary? Who else has a better offer on the table? Of course this all assumes the report is true, a big if.

Like other posters have said, it opens up the chance of another party jumping into the mix.  And that’s risky, because sometimes once a billionaire gets involved he doesn’t want to lose.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Like other posters have said, it opens up the chance of another party jumping into the mix.  And that’s risky, because sometimes once a billionaire gets involved he doesn’t want to lose.

And obviously people should just trust this organization who have effectively waded in these waters before only to come out victorious.

And before anyone asks, no I don't think this is our offer as it stands today, but yes, i find it significant that two writers put out same info. It means something.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny and the Magically Shrinking Offer

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not a lowball offer if it is the best offer.

Hahn is playing this correctly.  I've said it 100 times, but why pay the man $300M if you can get him for $200M.  That $100M will go a long way in filling the other 24 spots on the roster.  You only blink when you need to blink. 

I don't disagree with your points.  But another thing to consider is Manny Machado being happy playing for the White Sox.  Pay him enough that he feels he's paid well for his services.  Maybe that's what the Sox are doing here.  Nobody will go 200 million for you.  We will give you 230.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this is really true, how low are the Cardinals and Yankees bids to not be involved here?  It just doesn't seem plausible for my two cents.

It does if you believe in collusion.  And if you observed last off-season and now this one I'm not sure how in any Bayesian style inductive analysis you wouldn't at least consider it.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres