Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

Lack of a salary cap is definitely not the problem in baseball right now. The harshness of the new luxury tax may even be a key problem in getting the best players paid well.

It's all about competitive balance, You just can't have the richest teams outbidding everyone all the time . The richest teams with the most payroll still get a lot of the best players but the tax insures more teams have a chance.

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Or else fielding calls from the Padres, Cardinals, Yankees, etc.

And then what does that call sound like?

Padres:  Hey Lozano, I heard the highest offer is for only $25 million per year. We'd like to enter the bidding.

Lozano: Actually, another team is willing to go 8 for $250 right now. Can you beat that?

Padres: No

Lozano:  Ok, bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not a lowball offer if it is the best offer.

Hahn is playing this correctly.  I've said it 100 times, but why pay the man $300M if you can get him for $200M.  That $100M will go a long way in filling the other 24 spots on the roster.  You only blink when you need to blink. 

This. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting on 7/175...

...provided they are willing to go much higher the moment someone outbids them, and they are managing their communications channels such that they will have a chance to beat any new bids before he gets gobbled up.  

35 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

I don't disagree with your points.  But another thing to consider is Manny Machado being happy playing for the White Sox.  Pay him enough that he feels he's paid well for his services.  Maybe that's what the Sox are doing here.  Nobody will go 200 million for you.  We will give you 230.

Eh why would MM be unhappy that we paid the most for him? Maybe he should be pissed at all the other teams that didn't want him.

57 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's pathetic and nobody should be excited because 2021 season is gonna we wiped out and the Sox are gonna lose a year in everybody's primes during peak roster -- AGAIN.

My eyes rolled so hard I went blind for about 30 seconds. The mass of MLB players aren't going to vote to go on strike and lose their own salaries during their limited earning window just because Manny can only buy 17 palaces and not 30.

Also, this report is puzzling, but clearly false. Rabbit, WSD, Bucket, other people with sources have said continually that the Sox are offering BIG money here. This report wouldn't have qualified as huge money since like 1999. Every day we get another false report, yet people keep going nuts over them. Y'all just looking for reasons to be mad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

My eyes rolled so hard I went blind for about 30 seconds. The mass of MLB players aren't going to vote to go on strike and lose their own salaries during their limited earning window just because Manny can only buy 17 palaces and not 30.

Also, this report is puzzling, but clearly false. Rabbit, WSD, Bucket, other people with sources have said continually that the Sox are offering BIG money here. This report wouldn't have qualified as huge money since like 1999. Every day we get another false report, yet people keep going nuts over them. Y'all just looking for reasons to be mad.

Seems an awful lot like WSDs head is spinning right now

IF offer is 7/175 and Sox haven’t budged, then safe to assume it was the original offer that Sox made a couple weeks ago.  Lozano has had that time to drum up interest and get a better one.  So why should the White Sox increase their offer?

sure they have probably intimated they would go higher if necessary but why is that necessary at this point?

3 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Well you're a moron.  Do you understand the fundamentals of a union?  Seniority matters as does solidarity.  In fact,  those are the only things that matter.

Revenue was up and payrolls were down in 2018.  The percentage of the pie going to the Union is down to 44%.  

• Like 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

On the off chance that the Sox could actually sign Machado for $25M a year, would they then still pursue Harper?

Without question, because it means the Phillies aren’t bidding much more for Harper.  Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen and Machado will eventually get an AAV in the $30M to $35M range.

Allright, here is my no sauces take that I think many of you might like.

**NO SAUCES**

7/$175 may have be an original offer, but it is definitely not what is out there now. Lozano is a businessman and Machado is one of his star clients. If he wants to keep getting big name clients, he needs to show results. Machado is close to signing a MUCH bigger deal, but much less than the 10 year $350 etc. 

So what can Lozano do to make sure he looks good?

Let people know just how much he got people to increase offers. Lozano looks like a bad agent if he took a client worth $350 and only got him $275. But Lozano looks like a great agent if he can say "I took offers from $175 and got them up to $275."

So that is my no sauces take for the day. The offers are significantly higher, but Lozano is now trying to control expectations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well you're a moron.  Do you understand the fundamentals of a union?  Seniority matters as does solidarity.  In fact,  those are the only things that matter.

Revenue was up and payrolls were down in 2018.  The percentage of the pie going to the Union is down to 44%.  

Completely unnecessary insult. Don’t do it again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

And then what does that call sound like?

Padres:  Hey Lozano, I heard the highest offer is for only $25 million per year. We'd like to enter the bidding.

Lozano: Actually, another team is willing to go 8 for $250 right now. Can you beat that?

Padres: No

Lozano:  Ok, bye.

Probably more like "We'll get back to you". More teams in the bidding is better for them.

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Like I said last night, if this offer is true and the Sox don’t land Machado, our front office is basically committing franchise suicide.  That leaves me to believe the Sox are confident in their ability to get this done and simply want the Phillies to think they’re sitting pretty.  And honestly, Jerry having that “cheap” association with him might just give this rumor the credence it needs to be effective.

I felt so good yesterday when I had that positive feeling. Now there's this?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres