Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

And this was there plan going into this off season? The Sox FO can't even agree on Manny's value?

Yeah this would be hilarious if true (I'm extremely skeptical not that I don't doubt there are people in front office that have a limit), an extremely fortuitous set of circumstances even has them leading after a 7 for 175 offer, and they are split after wasting 15 million hiring family and friends? They aren't serious then, they would be naive.

It's a weird narrative and I'm not buying it. 

Just now, bmags said:

Yeah this would be hilarious if true (I'm extremely skeptical not that I don't doubt there are people in front office that have a limit), an extremely fortuitous set of circumstances even has them leading after a 7 for 175 offer, and they are split after wasting 15 million hiring family and friends? They aren't serious then, they would be naive.

It's a weird narrative and I'm not buying it. 

and honestly, if they don't feel anyone is worth more than 25 million a year, what is their plan in case the rebuild goes well and they have to pay these guys in free agency?

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

No chance unless they want to sit in the luxury tax forever

I guess it all depends on what they get signed for. Apparently the offers for Machado aren't what people thought they would be, Harper will probably get around $300 million, and Kuechel will get around $80 million over 4 years I would assume. With early opt outs, I could very well see this being a possibility.

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I have a hard time buying that the Sox view Pujols and Machado similarly. Machado is way younger reaching free agency and has much more defensive value. The comp makes no sense. 

The pujols comp is ridiculous in my opinion too, byt  it has to do with pujols performance before signing 10/240. They expect similar output from machado.

Things can always change swiftly

Just now, Kiebs13 said:

lmao thank you Jon. fuck everyone

aside from it being positive therefore I believe it (as is board rule), I've enjoyed heyman this offseason because he's been very transparent to fans in trying to describe and cut through agent BS (like mystery teams) and team BS.

So this holds weight to me.

2 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

I get it. take me with a grain of salt. Im not saying who will/will not sign manny, just giving you guys some insight

The insight seems to be based on several different circumstances weaved into a plausible scenario.  If that’s your take, great.  Roll with it and many will both be interested and perhaps agree and react.

But Occam’s razor is that despite what some believe, every single person in the Sox FO are not ridiculously incompetent.  Not one person here should believe for a second that Jerry has swooped in 2 months into this (and 2+ years in the planning) and put some archaic comp and stifled negotiations at a level below what the preferred destination Yankees (and probably 10 other teams) would pay.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

aside from it being positive therefore I believe it (as is board rule), I've enjoyed heyman this offseason because he's been very transparent to fans in trying to describe and cut through agent BS (like mystery teams) and team BS.

But Heyman is Lord of the Mystery Team

Just now, bmags said:

100% I didn't articulate it very well because I needed to get that fuck everyone off my chest, but that was the jist of it lol.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres