Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I do like the "swell option" deal structure as a possible explanation for the competing claims on length and dollars. The only question is whether someone would knowingly misrepresent the offer to reporters or if perhaps the source is someone who isn't plugged in enough to understand how to convey the parameters of a proposal like that.

• Like 2

I don't know how well the swellopt explains the different contract figures. It might explain the years, but I don't think it would explain the different numbers. As far as I can tell from the other swellopts this year, it doesn't include any sort of second signing bonus or increased salary during the contract, just extra years and whatever salary those are agreed to at. So if the option is for one or two years at the end of the contract, you would think those would only be for $30m/yr max. If the 7/$175 figure is correct, that would only increase it to 8/$205 and even that would mean the last year was a higher AAV than the rest of the contract. If you think the figure might be closer to the 8/$240 we were hearing before, then maybe the 7 year offer is for $210 in which case the final year would be for the same AAV as the rest of the contract. That I could see being the discussion, but it still doesn't explain the 7/$175 offer we heard. 

19 minutes ago, shipps said:

What if you literally have to count your chickens? Like chicken inventory. You should probably be clear that this is a figure of speech. 

🐓🐓🐓 ahhh I know its figure of speech........   

13 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I don't know how well the swellopt explains the different contract figures. It might explain the years, but I don't think it would explain the different numbers. As far as I can tell from the other swellopts this year, it doesn't include any sort of second signing bonus or increased salary during the contract, just extra years and whatever salary those are agreed to at. So if the option is for one or two years at the end of the contract, you would think those would only be for $30m/yr max. If the 7/$175 figure is correct, that would only increase it to 8/$205 and even that would mean the last year was a higher AAV than the rest of the contract. If you think the figure might be closer to the 8/$240 we were hearing before, then maybe the 7 year offer is for $210 in which case the final year would be for the same AAV as the rest of the contract. That I could see being the discussion, but it still doesn't explain the 7/$175 offer we heard. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-scott-boras-may-have-a-creative-contract-solution-for-the-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-markets/amp/

This is a great explanation. 

7 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Yeah, I get all that, but those still have the per year salary of the option years being less than the per year salary of the beginning of the contract. So it still doesn't make sense with the 7/$175 deal because the last year or two would max out at $25m/yr and that would only bring the contract to 8/$200 or 9/$225 and both of those seem lower than what has been reported. 

30 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I would love for a documentary to come out on something like this.  Follow Manny's  (any big name free agent) camp and see how things are behind the scenes with offers, rumors, etc.  

I would love a tell-all book or something! For all the behind the scenes stuff we won't know about. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres