Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I still don't know what the heck Bruce was talking about. Was he talking out of his ass to sound smart or was he legit? I'm not sure what the future value of the dollar has to deal with years and total salary at signing. 

He was making up BS to pretend his source was legit. I think he was trying to explain "net present value" and that a $250M contract over 7 years with deferred payments had a present value of $175M. Of course he didn't use any of those words, so who knows.

Machado's father is either taking liberties or doesn't know the whole story. We've heard from a handful of sources that the Yankees never actually offered a contract. The Dodgers have a 3B and a SS, interest in Harper, and not enough money to spend. I don't doubt they made a crap offer to Machado, but if they were serious, we'd have heard of it by now.

Either way, he just said vague stuff which could point to pretty much any team other than the Yankees. And who knows if he has any actual info?

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

Machado's father is either taking liberties or doesn't know the whole story. We've heard from a handful of sources that the Yankees never actually offered a contract. The Dodgers have a 3B and a SS, interest in Harper, and not enough money to spend. I don't doubt they made a crap offer to Machado, but if they were serious, we'd have heard of it by now.

Either way, he just said vague stuff which could point to pretty much any team other than the Yankees. And who knows if he has any actual info?

Yeah but those shades ... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve also seen that they’ve made up over last few years 

How many people would you trust if you were trying to negotiate a $300M contract? I know nothing about their relationship, but i'm skeptical that he would be in the circle of trust under the circumstances. I suspect he was asked questions and he answered. When you have no real information, there's no risk of harm.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1086264859166212096

there is this as well stating that manny is quietly waiting for the signing to occur.....so is it a done deal, just waiting for announcement or what?

I took it more as he's being patient and not going to jump into anything.  However, it's such a vague statement we can assume it means pretty much anything.  

14 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I still think there is a whole bunch of stuff that can be explained by people using offer, formal offer, etc interchangeably when there is no defined meaning to any of them anyway. 

Maybe the yanks never offered him but discussed numbers all the same. Who knows. Would explain a lot of the "so and so offered" // " NO they didn't" back and forth.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1086264859166212096

there is this as well stating that manny is quietly waiting for the signing to occur.....so is it a done deal, just waiting for announcement or what?

I think realistically it means while there is two eager sides, they are still working out a contract that will be first of its kind and not just in AAV.

25 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Dallas Keuchel SP 31
Gio Gonzalez SP 33
Wade Miley SP 32
Clay Buchholz SP 34
Drew Pomeranz SP 30
Martin Perez SP 27
Jeremy Hellickson SP 31
Ervin Santana SP  
Brett Anderson SP 31

Jason Hammel SP 36
Edwin Jackson SP 35
Marco Estrada SP 35
Francisco Liriano SP 35
Doug Fister SP 35
Yovani Gallardo SP

Notable starters still left....not much

Not much if you're looking for a  playoff run, but I think there are arms much more serviceable than what we have to offer..

I still like Keuchel for all the reasons that have been discussed over and over. I like ground ball tendencies, how he'll likely age, price, probably only 4 year contract, etc.

Other than that I'd love to explore a 1yr + option deal in the following order: Santana, Buchholz, Gio, Hellickson, Pomeranz. All th rest I'd pass on. I'd even lean on passing on Pomeranz and Hellickson. Pomeranz mostly because of health issues... forget what he injured, but I thought his velocity is truggling...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I still think there is a whole bunch of stuff that can be explained by people using offer, formal offer, etc interchangeably when there is no defined meaning to any of them anyway. 

Maybe the yanks never offered him but discussed numbers all the same. Who knows. Would explain a lot of the "so and so offered" // " NO they didn't" back and forth.

Absolutely.  Always thought this was in play.  People's interpretations of technicalities/terminologies.  Sooner or later the need for a tweet became larger than a person's willingness to stick to their rule about only posting correctly termed details.  It became mush quickly.  

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not much if you're looking for a  playoff run, but I think there are arms much more serviceable than what we have to offer..

I still like Keuchel for all the reasons that have been discussed over and over. I like ground ball tendencies, how he'll likely age, price, probably only 4 year contract, etc.

Other than that I'd love to explore a 1yr + option deal in the following order: Santana, Buchholz, Gio, Hellickson, Pomeranz. All th rest I'd pass on. I'd even lean on passing on Pomeranz and Hellickson. Pomeranz mostly because of health issues... forget what he injured, but I thought his velocity is truggling...

Martin Perez is only 27? Maybe he'd be a good addition. Let me check on those staaaooohhhmy god

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Actually, the New Era logo now appears on all official game hats. Has since the 2016 playoffs. And it still looks awful and out of place.

Yah, I should have said all new era "on field" caps. 

And I totally agree.  Hate it.  As someone who wears a lot on field caps, I hate the logo there.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He's been pretty brutal lately, but he is a guy the White Sox had a lot of interest in a few years ago.

If he get's a minor league deal then come aboard. surprisingly he wouldn't actually be worse than other pitchers on our pitching staff.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I should have said all new era "on field" caps. 

And I totally agree.  Hate it.  As someone who wears a lot on field caps, I hate the logo there.  

I bought a few of the 2016 caps sans NE logo on clearance after that season. I am stocked up and don't plan on ever buying another game cap ever because I hate the logo on the side. Fine for a replica, but looks so bad as part of the uniform. And come 2020, we're going to have Nike's swoosh on the chest of the jerseys, so none of this is ever getting better. Probably 5 years until we have "modest" advertisements on the sleeves and maybe another 10 years before it looks like NASCAR or soccer.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres