Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

If it’s true that he goes to the highest bidder, I feel really solid about our chances. I’m guessing it would be between the Sox and a mystery team. Yankees most likely would be out, and I think the Phillies would be out because I think they get Harper and really will make a strong run at Harper. Padres are really a team that I would be afraid of if he goes to the highest bidder. Mets are also a team I would watch out for.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

If it’s true that he goes to the highest bidder, I feel really solid about our chances. I’m guessing it would be between the Sox and a mystery team. Yankees most likely would be out, and I think the Phillies would be out because I think they get Harper and really will make a strong run at Harper. Padres are really a team that I would be afraid of if he goes to the highest bidder. Mets are also a team I would watch out for.

Just in terms of highest bidders (for mystery teams), I would say Rangers and Angels

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

A different color username perhaps?

I’d go green for trusted/verified sources, yellow or caution for most everyone in between and red for proven imposters...of course, the reds will quickly disappear from the board because they won’t get the positive attention they’re seeking.

1 hour ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I don’t buy the mystery team at all. Purely for driving the price up. Sox have this.  

I buy it.  I don't know which report is correct, but pretty much all of them have the offers as far more modest than expected 6 weeks ago. Makes sense for teams to dive in if he's that affordable.  It shouldn't matter; as per a comment above, the Sox should be able to win a bidding war anyway should one arise.

1 hour ago, drgiggles15 said:

If we got Manny at 8/280, do we even attempt for Harper? Or call it a day and be ecstatic? 

I coulda seen Machado getting $70 million more than that. You aren't mad if you only get one, but you gotta try for 2 in that case. Imagine two 5 WAR players and you've gotten a $150 million discount on them compared to what they should be getting in a functioning market, and they were already cheap compared to what you blew on Laroche, Robertson, Cabrera, Frazier, and Samardzija and co.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

I find it hard to believe that in the internet age where people share everything, the name of the  " mystery team " hasn't leaked by now. I thought it possible at first but as time goes on I don't buy it.

Agreed. Logically, what would be the benefit of being an annonimous bidder anyway? Especially this late.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Agreed. Logically, what would be the benefit of being an annonimous bidder anyway? Especially this late.

Exactly. Every team has people in their staff that can't keep quiet so things do leak and yet nothing on this mystery team? Oh and to remain a mystery team while bidding on a 26 year old free agent hitter like Machado with that kind of money being discussed? Ha yeah right.

Edited by BlackSox13

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Exactly. Every team has people in their staff that can't keep quiet so things do leak and yet nothing on this mystery team? Oh and to remain a mystery team while bidding on a 26 year old free agent hitter like Machado with that kind of money being discussed? Ha yeah right.

100%. Take the Mets for example or the Padres. If you go on twitter their fans are begging them to get involved. Why would they not want their fans to know they have thrown their hat into this thing? 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

100%. Take the Mets for example or the Padres. If you go on twitter their fans are begging them to get involved. Why would they not want their fans to know they have thrown their hat into this thing? 

I don't get it either. SD has the money, the 3B opening and the need for power. The Mets... the fuck if anyone including the Mets knows what they're doing this winter. Lots of people in the baseball world have been scratching their heads over the Mets.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It should be a bannable offense and honestly the fact he literally said this two days ago and is actually trying to deny it is beyond fucking pathetic.

Quit Whining about it. Nothing I posted said where or when he will sign haha. 

Its ok to be happy that were this far into this thing brother. Im a fan too and ive got every right to jump on here and share my opinion or anything ive heard. You should take everything you hear on this board for a grain of salt, unless its from a blue check, which im pretty sure I said when I posted at first.

Quit being so literal and lets just move on. Go hang your hopes on the next guy that says “expect machado signing tomorrow”, if you have too

Edit: No i did not say that when i first posted, I thought i implied it. either way, never made any false claims on this board, and im sorry if you feel like I did.

Edited by IowaPG

Honestly, they should have left out the "it's not his preferred destination" out of the report. If you really wanted to make believers out of it, you shouldnt let people think you are the preferred spot for your client in this situation. This just eases the Sox into, "well he told us he wants to be here, so if there truly is another offer out there that is higher, they will come back to us."

Just my thought.

Or the mystery team has the highest offer technically, but there’s some similarities to the Kikuchi deal where the whole thing isn’t guaranteed...that’s another possibility, but the likeliest is still no mystery team existing.

What teams would actually want to remain “operating in the dark web” so that their fans don’t even know they’re actually pursuing Machado?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres