Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Technically that number is something like $8 million low as of now since there will also be a bunch of pre-arb guys who make near the league minimum. The only difference between his # and B-R's numbers then is James Shields's $2m buyout that B-R counts.

Good point. I think Padres are on the hook for the $2m though.

Edit: actually, I think his number counts those guys. Unless you mean guys who will come up and get sent down throughout the year.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Still wow at the fact of adding a 30M dollar player only puts them at the 110M mark, really would like them to finish this with Manny and go hard for Harper 

Seriously. Assuming 30m for Manny and 35-40 for Harper and we would still only be at 145-150 and still with flexibility. Let Abreu walk and offer a TOR a big deal next year. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Don’t know if this has been reported but an interesting idea for the Phillies to consider none the less

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815069-forget-bryce-harper-phillies-can-plan-700m-manny-machado-mike-trout-pairing

Crazy to me that the Sox are still not getting mentioned in articles like this.

My brother is a diehard Cardinal fan, he laughed at anyone calling them a mystery team for Machado.  There is no need for him at what he's asking...says the Cards wouldn't go beyond 6 years, and that he doesn't fit their plan.  Harper would make more sense, but since they have Goldschmidt they're probably looking at filling other holes they need like the bullpen.  If they didn't make the Goldy deal he said Machado would make more sense.  He'd be extremely surprised if they're in on him, no where for him to play.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Manny is with his pals for one year that's all.

This whole thing is dragging on because the Sox are not forcing the issue hope it works in their favor. 

Can always extend Jay and Yonder on the cheap. I would think we would get the best out of them as well. I can see Yonder having a good season if he can stay healthy. Yonder has hit in some tough home fields in his career. The G Rate might be just what he needs.

3 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

My brother is a diehard Cardinal fan, he laughed at anyone calling them a mystery team for Machado.  There is no need for him at what he's asking...says the Cards wouldn't go beyond 6 years, and that he doesn't fit their plan.  Harper would make more sense, but since they have Goldschmidt they're probably looking at filling other holes they need like the bullpen.  If they didn't make the Goldy deal he said Machado would make more sense.  He'd be extremely surprised if they're in on him, no where for him to play.

That's true. I think they'll extend Goldy.

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Can always extend Jay and Yonder on the cheap. I would think we would get the best out of them as well. I can see Yonder having a good season if he can stay healthy. Yonder has hit in some tough home fields in his career. The G Rate might be just what he needs.

Yeah San Diego, to Oakland, to Seattle (very brief). Not good at all.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

NotHahn. Why aren't you on the telephone grilling your sources? 

It looks to me Dan Clark got  his info from a player - maybe Schoop.    A professional reporter would know that information from a player's friend is not credible to be reported as fact.  Clark is an amateur blogger who somehow scored a Twitter blue-check (even Levine, who is a professional reporter, such as he is,  and with 250% more followers, doesn't have a blue check).
My problem is that he got real obnoxious about it even when he was proven wrong (which was about a week ago when "early January" passed).

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres