Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

In a perfect world: the Sox are finalizing a deal with Machado this weekend while the Phillies met with Harper and are waiting to announce it until tomorrow when this week's NFL games are over and the Sox will get the most attention/coverage on the signing as possible. 

FWIW--I would say Tuesday or Wednesday. Tomorrow will still be NFL talk on Today's games and next week's match-ups.  

17 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

In a perfect world: the Sox are finalizing a deal with Machado this weekend while the Phillies met with Harper and are waiting to announce it until tomorrow when this week's NFL games are over and the Sox will get the most attention/coverage on the signing as possible. 

No, perfect world, Harper + Machado both go to the White Sox.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Come on Hahn, don't make me a fool, sign Granderson!

I know he'll be 38 but he has been an above average hitter for the past 5 seasons. I actually wouldn't mind him on a cheap deal if we get Machado and need a competent right fielder

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know he'll be 38 but he has been an above average hitter for the past 5 seasons. I actually wouldn't mind him on a cheap deal if we get Machado and need a competent right fielder

While I was kidding, I do agree.  Always felt he'd come home.

The whole take away for me on this whole thing is I think the Sox have a fair offer in table and neither guy likes it and both players are hoping somebody beats it.....nobody is currently but they are holding out hope somebody pops up to do so.

The Sox are being used but they also are not dropping the hammer to close the deal.

Personally the Macado buddy signings are what irritate me as neither player was needed but there they are.....lock machado up then get both....at this point i personally am of mind to say F Machado. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The whole take away for me on this whole thing is I think the Sox have a fair offer in table and neither guy likes it and both players are hoping somebody beats it.....nobody is currently but they are holding out hope somebody pops up to do so.

The Sox are being used but they also are not dropping the hammer to close the deal.

Personally the Macado buddy signings are what irritate me as neither player was needed but there they are.....lock machado up then get both....at this point i personally am of mind to say F Machado. 

What do you mean F Machado?  Like you want to take a pass on him and if so why?

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It's like when you're a non-blue-blood basketball program and you're recruiting a player rated in the 30-75 range and you hear how much they love your program how they're your school's #1 priority and yet the commit just never seems to come. After a while it's apparent that you're just their fallback plan and they're just biding their time hoping for one of the elite schools to come calling. In this case the Sox have relegated themselves to this status and now have to live with it. But, it sure does suck ...

12 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

How are the Sox being used?  Both players (as well as most fans) expected the market to be more robust and both would get close to 300 million contracts.  By all accounts our offer is no where near that.  If it was he would probably sign.  These guys are professionals and IMO money is what talks in everyone of these big time free agent signings not “where they want to play”.  Of course many good arguments to support that neither of these two (especially Harper) are worth anywhere near what they think they are.

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I agree with this and think that there is some danger here. Seems like the Sox are content on playing risk/reward with Machado. I'd guess that they could get the deal done for sure by upping their offer to a respectable amount, but since no one is pushing them they might feel like they can get him more on their terms.

Playing really dangerous if that's the case.

As a Sox fan for all my life, I've seen how poor this organization has been ran and the amount of failure it has gone through. I was ready to switch teams or not follow baseball in 2015/2016 (whenever the rebuild began), but the front office made those moves that gave me hope.

Going into this off season I had no illusion that we would sign one of these premier players. However, the W'Sox continued the pressure and are now sitting 1-2 in Machado and are also one of the only 2 clear suitors for Harper.

The Phillies are the other team here so it becomes a two team show for these guys. We have to get one. If we don't get one it will be a colossal failure on the front office at this point. I will stop rooting for the White Sox and move on. 100%

17 minutes ago, skooch said:

It's like when you're a non-blue-blood basketball program and you're recruiting a player rated in the 30-75 range and you hear how much they love your program how they're your school's #1 priority and yet the commit just never seems to come. After a while it's apparent that you're just their fallback plan and they're just biding their time hoping for one of the elite schools to come calling. In this case the Sox have relegated themselves to this status and now have to live with it. But, it sure does suck ...

I really would like to know what numbers the Sox have offered? I thought I heard speculation of 8 for $280M. 8 for $280M is $35M per year. Do we really believe that couldn't get a deal done or do they need to go $300M?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres