Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Would you turn that down for 10/300?  That is a lot of promised money to leave to chance.

No I wouldnt. But the Yankees can pitch that Machado is betting on himself and that in 4 years they would have to pay heavily if he puts up great numbers. Yankees are one of the few teams that can say they will always pay their own.

I still wouldnt do it, but I could see the Yankees angle for how to pitch Machado on the idea. 

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

No I wouldnt. But the Yankees can pitch that Machado is betting on himself and that in 4 years they would have to pay heavily if he puts up great numbers. Yankees are one of the few teams that can say they will always pay their own.

I still wouldnt do it, but I could see the Yankees angle for how to pitch Machado on the idea. 

i get this point but if I'm his agent I'm reminding him that injuries can occur for no reason and despite all the training in the world. Would be a rather large gamble.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

i get this point but if I'm his agent I'm reminding him that injuries can occur for no reason and despite all the training in the world. Would be a rather large gamble.

Absolutely. If Im his agent Im telling him under no circumstances take that offer if there is another offer that is $100mil+ more. But that is why the White Sox need to wipe out the Yankees offer. If the Sox are only $50mil more, but an extra 2 years, I can see them taking the Yankees money. 

IE 

Yankees 4 years / $140 mil

Sox 6 years /  $200mil

In that scenario I could see Machado taking the Yankees offer. If the Sox want him, I think they need to be at minimum 8 years 250mil to be safe. I think if they hit 8 years $275 hed sign now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Absolutely. If Im his agent Im telling him under no circumstances take that offer if there is another offer that is $100mil+ more. But that is why the White Sox need to wipe out the Yankees offer. If the Sox are only $50mil more, but an extra 2 years, I can see them taking the Yankees money. 

IE 

Yankees 4 years / $140 mil

Sox 6 years /  $200mil

In that scenario I could see Machado taking the Yankees offer. If the Sox want him, I think they need to be at minimum 8 years 250mil to be safe. I think if they hit 8 years $275 hed sign now. 

Me too, and I think that's a great deal for sox and one that's very tradeable if the rest of the team doesn't organize well around him.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Machado is not taking a 4 year deal, period. Interesting how little Harper or Machado information has come out lately though. 

Feels like teams have made their offers and its in the consideration stage?

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Me too, and I think that's a great deal for sox and one that's very tradeable if the rest of the team doesn't organize well around him.

The Sox really need to stop screwing around. Even if they "overpay" its not going to be a big deal long term. I think they need to find out what it takes to get it done this week and make it happen. The longer it strings out, the more likely something unexpected happens (imo). 

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The Sox really need to stop screwing around. Even if they "overpay" its not going to be a big deal long term. I think they need to find out what it takes to get it done this week and make it happen. The longer it strings out, the more likely something unexpected happens (imo). 

Do we know that they are screwing around though? Going into the offseason, I think everybody thought Manny would get 10 years and over $300 million. I thought it as recently as last week. When the reports came out that the Sox wouldn't go over 7 years and their offer was closer to $200 than $300m, I thought it was awful strategy. But so far, it looks like the Sox have read the market correctly. The Sox need to sign him no matter what. But if I were the GM, I might have locked him up a week ago at 10/$325, when the next best offer was for $130 million less. That extra $130 million could go a long way. They are going to have to offer more years and dollars than the Yankees, but not to a crazy amount. Maybe he signs elsewhere and the full story we get in the postmortem is awful, but for now, I can't fault the Sox for the little we know about the goings on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'm afraid that if these low 200 numbers are true.... that there is gonna be some unexpected suitors.  

Not necessarily. A $200+ million contract at $30+ million per season is something that usually needs to be planned for by an organization. Teams that are just entering rebuilds aren't ready to make that kind of splash, and many contenders do not have the payroll room to make it happen without sacrificing almost all of their financial flexibility.

The time is right for the Sox to reel in a big fish, most likely Machado.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It feels like we are near the end of the cycle.  It seems like the second to last step is always where people are amazed at how low the  offers are, followed by the player signing a contract that was above where most people were comfortable.

This is stated perfectly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Do we know that they are screwing around though? Going into the offseason, I think everybody thought Manny would get 10 years and over $300 million. I thought it as recently as last week. When the reports came out that the Sox wouldn't go over 7 years and their offer was closer to $200 than $300m, I thought it was awful strategy. But so far, it looks like the Sox have read the market correctly. The Sox need to sign him no matter what. But if I were the GM, I might have locked him up a week ago at 10/$325, when the next best offer was for $130 million less. That extra $130 million could go a long way. They are going to have to offer more years and dollars than the Yankees, but not to a crazy amount. Maybe he signs elsewhere and the full story we get in the postmortem is awful, but for now, I can't fault the Sox for the little we know about the goings on.

We have no idea whats going on, its purely speculation. But (imo) the Sox have much more to lose missing on Machado than the Yankees do. The Yankees can hunt big time free agents every year.

The idea the Sox would have a 50/50 chance on Machado would have been hard to believe as recently as last off-season. But that seems to be the reality. The Sox just cant let this one slip away. Even if they offered $100mil more and 3 years extra, it wouldnt be the end of the Sox. Those last 3 years are 7 years from now. $30mil wont nearly be as much then.

I just think the Sox seem to be playing with fire and they are the team that will get burnt much worse if they miss. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm on board for 7/210. I'd definitely prefer Machado over Harper, especially at that price. From a marketing perspective, the Sox need to continue to grind away at the Latino market. We'll never compete with the Cubs for the affluent white market. 

7/$210M would be a grandfuckingslam for the White Sox.  

17 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Offer him 7/325M and wrap this up already.  

Then offer Harper at least 7/350M.

21 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'm afraid that if these low 200 numbers are true.... that there is gonna be some unexpected suitors.  

That's what surprises me.  If 7/$210M is really the top offer, have to imagine teams like the Braves, Angels, Twins, Brewers, and Padres show varying degrees of interest.  

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It feels like we are near the end of the cycle.  It seems like the second to last step is always where people are amazed at how low the  offers are, followed by the player signing a contract that was above where most people were comfortable.

This is true. MLB analytics are getting smarter and smarter and realizing these giant contracts don't workout probably... what? 75% of the time by the end of the contract... but if Hosmer got 8 years I am going to go out on an easy limb and say Machado at least gets 8, probably 9 years. Just my guess.

I'd do Machado up to 10 years. If you get up to 10, then you AAV needs to be closer to $28-30mm. If its 8 years - then go closer to 30-33mm AAV.

Then turn around and whatever you gave Machado, add 2 years onto it and 2-3mm per year and give that to Harper. So go 10-12 years at 30-35mm. See you in Spring Training!

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

This is true. MLB analytics are getting smarter and smarter and realizing these giant contracts don't workout probably... what? 75% of the time by the end of the contract... but if Hosmer got 8 years I am going to go out on an easy limb and say Machado at least gets 8, probably 9 years. Just my guess.

I'd do Machado up to 10 years. If you get up to 10, then you AAV needs to be closer to $28-30mm. If its 8 years - then go closer to 30-33mm AAV.

Then turn around and whatever you gave Machado, add 2 years onto it and 2-3mm per year and give that to Harper. So go 10-12 years at 30-35mm. See you in Spring Training!

The Hosmer deal was stupid the minute it was signed.  Machado and Harper are different animals.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'm still ticked off that RedLineRadio posted that fake Machado rumor just for attention 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's been said time and time again in this thread and in others. It's up to you on what to believe. It's usually the safe bet to believe the guys that get paid for a living to report news, not the "outliers" 

When it comes to rumors, always be skeptical. 

If Machado was at the Bears game, you know Yonder would have been on instagram with a picture and #familyovereverything.

4 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Offer him 7/325M and wrap this up already.  

This is awful take.  People need to be patient.  Landing Machado is HUGE and incredibly important to the Sox future, but you don't just throw in $15M extra per season for shits and giggles.  Being conservatively aggressive is the right play, and its very clearly what the Sox are doing.  Being patient sucks, and we all want this process to end, but I will be so much happier and the organization will be in so much better shape to fill out the rest of the roster if MM is signed for 7/$220M than 7/$325M. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres