Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

28 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So do I.  Someone will offer him that much and he'll take it -- unless the Sox blow that offer away and offer him $325M.  He's not signing with the White Sox if the offers are close. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Bottom line for me is this:  The White Sox must do whatever it takes to land both Harper and Machado.

Fair, but paying MM more than you need to doesn't exactly help landing Harper as well, or any other supplemental pieces for the future.  Machado is my biggest target and I am willing to stretch a bit to get him, but I just think the Sox are playing this correctly.

I don't think he needs a $75M premium to sign with the Sox over Philly.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

What does this mean?

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think Shane Riordan claimed Manny would sign with thee Sox this morning. I'm guessing that's what he means, but I could be wrong.

I guess I should say his source was wrong. He said by the time we wake up, Manny would be a WhiteSox according to a good source. It's now 11:56 central and nothing.

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I guess I should say his source was wrong. He said by the time we wake up, Manny would be a WhiteSox according to a good source. It's now 11:56 central and nothing.

Ah, yeah I did not realize the y2Jimmy shane and the twitter guy were the same. 

To me, it sounds like the Sox (and the other teams, tbh) are just trying not to bid against themselves. 

Given that this is how the process is flowing, I think I’d happy with literally any year/dollar amount that gets Machado to the Sox. Because whatever that number is, it will be what the market required. 

24 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

You want to pay two players ~$100 million/year combined and think that it would be a wise decision? 

I think it'd probably be closer to 80 million/year (~35 million for Machado and ~45 for Harper), which of course is a lot of money to commit to just 2 players. However, it's feasible if the Sox are willing to increase payroll significantly and also because the Sox will have several players making league minimum or close to it for the foreseeable future.

The idea of adding 2 superstar hitters in their primes to the middle of the lineup is just so appealing to me. But it's probably not going to happen and I'd be more than happy with just Machado.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Wow, Chris Russo made it sound like the Yankees aren't at all interested in Machado anymore.

I got excited reading this and then I remembered who Chris Russo is and the excitement immediately faded.

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 2

Just now, Orlando said:

I got excited and then I remembered who Chris Russo is and the excitement immediately faded.

Yeah, always take with a grain, but it's still interesting.  He's got a lot of Yankee and Mets people attached to him.  He always says something to piss me off, he said the Bears defense was the reason they lost yesterday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah, always take with a grain, but it's still interesting.  He's got a lot of Yankee and Mets people attached to him.  He always says something to piss me off, he said the Bears defense was the reason they lost yesterday.

Do you mind sharing what he said? He always seems to piss me off every time he talks as well.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Do you mind sharing what he said? He always seems to piss me off every time he talks as well.

He ran down the White Sox and their fanbase for a bit, ran down Moncada for doing nothing but striking out. Then said that Machado is what we need, someone to light a fire under our butts and that us and Philly are the teams in the hunt.  Specifically said that the Yankees weren't gonna touch that contract.  Honestly he could just be expanding on Nightengale's tweet?  He did take a minute to mention that sure he won't run out ground balls but he'll hit 30+ bombs, 100+ RBI.  He's so fucking negative all the time, Barbara Walters sounding son of a b****.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

He ran down the White Sox and their fanbase for a bit, ran down Moncada for doing nothing but striking out. Then said that Machado is what we need, someone to light a fire under our butts and that us and Philly are the teams in the hunt.  Specifically said that the Yankees weren't gonna touch that contract.  Honestly he could just be expanding on Nightengale's tweet?  He did take a minute to mention that sure he won't run out ground balls but he'll hit 30+ bombs, 100+ RBI.  He's so fucking negative all the time, Barbara Walters sounding son of a b****.

HAHAH he does sound like Barbara Walters! Thank you for this. Well I hope he's right

At least it seems a lot less likely that the entire chase was for nothing. Like, I realize the Tulo move costs the Yankees nothing, but there's also no reason to make the move if Machado's something they felt overly confident about.

All I know is that Manny fits into our lineup at third base very nicely.

16 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

At least it seems a lot less likely that the entire chase was for nothing. Like, I realize the Tulo move costs the Yankees nothing, but there's also no reason to make the move if Machado's something they felt overly confident about.

All I know is that Manny fits into our lineup at third base very nicely.

Doesn't Manny prefer SS at this point?

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

Doesn't Manny prefer SS at this point?

Not 100% sure but his allegiance to SS last year/this off season was likely just to boost his $$$$ during contract negotiations. Methinks he has no real problem playing his much better position of 3b.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres