yesterday333

Manny: Nope, still no news

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Hosmer deal was stupid the minute it was signed.  Machado and Harper are different animals.

True, but they are better. No way Boras or Machado's agent settle for under 8.

8 is the bare minimum. Just my two cents. I'll guess Machado with 9 and Harper with 11.

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's been said time and time again in this thread and in others. It's up to you on what to believe. It's usually the safe bet to believe the guys that get paid for a living to report news, not the "outliers" 

When it comes to rumors, always be skeptical. 

This whole thing just reinforces why I don't like Barstool, but I was under the impression that they were trying to become a more credible outlet for MLB rumors. It seems like WSD does get good info from time to time, at least as far as the Sox go. I didn't think they would make up a blatantly false rumor just for some likes/retweets but I guess I was wrong.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anyone else thinking that these reports of "Teams won't go past 7/210" are some team leaking to try to suppress bids from other squads? 

I thought that from the beginning. I believe the Sox might have put out the 7 year line in the sand as an opening offer, fully intending to go 8-10 if necessary. But the dollar amount seemed way too low.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

This whole thing just reinforces why I don't like Barstool, but I was under the impression that they were trying to become a more credible outlet for MLB rumors. It seems like WSD does get good info from time to time, at least as far as the Sox go. I didn't think they would make up a blatantly false rumor just for some likes/retweets but I guess I was wrong.

I don't think they "made it up" persay, someone got some info, didn't vet it at all and they ran with it. 

But if you don't like Barstool and don't have any experience with where/who the source came from, don't trust it. Not everything out there has to be real, anyone with a phone and Twitter account can post whatever they want. 

12 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So do I.  Someone will offer him that much and he'll take it -- unless the Sox blow that offer away and offer him $325M.  He's not signing with the White Sox if the offers are close. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Bottom line for me is this:  The White Sox must do whatever it takes to land both Harper and Machado.

You want to pay two players ~$100 million/year combined and think that it would be a wise decision? 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anyone else thinking that these reports of "Teams won't go past 7/210" are some team leaking to try to suppress bids from other squads? 

100%.  I don’t buy for a second that’s all he’s getting, but if it is, he might as well take 5/$150M from the Yankees.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I guess that Shane guy was wrong. 

Shane... Dan Clarke... Barstool.

If there's one thing we are learning it's that attention seekers know no bounds.

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I guess that Shane guy was wrong. 

What does this mean?

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

What does this mean?

I think Shane Riordan claimed Manny would sign with thee Sox this morning. I'm guessing that's what he means, but I could be wrong.

28 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So do I.  Someone will offer him that much and he'll take it -- unless the Sox blow that offer away and offer him $325M.  He's not signing with the White Sox if the offers are close. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Bottom line for me is this:  The White Sox must do whatever it takes to land both Harper and Machado.

Fair, but paying MM more than you need to doesn't exactly help landing Harper as well, or any other supplemental pieces for the future.  Machado is my biggest target and I am willing to stretch a bit to get him, but I just think the Sox are playing this correctly.

I don't think he needs a $75M premium to sign with the Sox over Philly.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think Shane Riordan claimed Manny would sign with thee Sox this morning. I'm guessing that's what he means, but I could be wrong.

There's still 5 minutes left in the morning, to be fair.

:)

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

What does this mean?

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I guess I should say his source was wrong. He said by the time we wake up, Manny would be a WhiteSox according to a good source. It's now 11:56 central and nothing.

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I guess I should say his source was wrong. He said by the time we wake up, Manny would be a WhiteSox according to a good source. It's now 11:56 central and nothing.

Ah, yeah I did not realize the y2Jimmy shane and the twitter guy were the same. 

To me, it sounds like the Sox (and the other teams, tbh) are just trying not to bid against themselves. 

Given that this is how the process is flowing, I think I’d happy with literally any year/dollar amount that gets Machado to the Sox. Because whatever that number is, it will be what the market required. 

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I got sunshine, on a cloudy day.

No time for your lyrics! This is a serious thread damnit!

Wait...

24 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

You want to pay two players ~$100 million/year combined and think that it would be a wise decision? 

I think it'd probably be closer to 80 million/year (~35 million for Machado and ~45 for Harper), which of course is a lot of money to commit to just 2 players. However, it's feasible if the Sox are willing to increase payroll significantly and also because the Sox will have several players making league minimum or close to it for the foreseeable future.

The idea of adding 2 superstar hitters in their primes to the middle of the lineup is just so appealing to me. But it's probably not going to happen and I'd be more than happy with just Machado.

• Like 1

I don't think he literally expected the Sox to sign Machado this morning. I took the tweet as him just comforting his psyche after last night.

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

I don't think he literally expected the Sox to sign Machado this morning. I took the tweet as him just comforting his psyche after last night.

Did you see his vid where he said when we wake up tomorrow, Machado will be a White Sock?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Wow, Chris Russo made it sound like the Yankees aren't at all interested in Machado anymore.

I got excited reading this and then I remembered who Chris Russo is and the excitement immediately faded.

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 2

Just now, Orlando said:

I got excited and then I remembered who Chris Russo is and the excitement immediately faded.

Yeah, always take with a grain, but it's still interesting.  He's got a lot of Yankee and Mets people attached to him.  He always says something to piss me off, he said the Bears defense was the reason they lost yesterday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah, always take with a grain, but it's still interesting.  He's got a lot of Yankee and Mets people attached to him.  He always says something to piss me off, he said the Bears defense was the reason they lost yesterday.

Do you mind sharing what he said? He always seems to piss me off every time he talks as well.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Do you mind sharing what he said? He always seems to piss me off every time he talks as well.

He ran down the White Sox and their fanbase for a bit, ran down Moncada for doing nothing but striking out. Then said that Machado is what we need, someone to light a fire under our butts and that us and Philly are the teams in the hunt.  Specifically said that the Yankees weren't gonna touch that contract.  Honestly he could just be expanding on Nightengale's tweet?  He did take a minute to mention that sure he won't run out ground balls but he'll hit 30+ bombs, 100+ RBI.  He's so fucking negative all the time, Barbara Walters sounding son of a b****.