Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok might be nice to know what all the fuss is about in the OP or do I have to go to another thread for that ?

it's because posts were split out (original thread was started with kyyle, but earlier posts from previous thread go first), but anyway i added Jose Abreu's summary to the original post.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yep. I think people also need to remember WSD is also a homer fan, so he is going to be very positive towards their chances, but I do think he has legit sources. I’ll take it either way! Same with Bucket. When he opens his mouth, you best listen.

Dave obviously roots for the Sox, but he's no blind homer. In the past, he was very vocal against Reinsdorf, which is why I'm surprised he is still so connected. I think he has a good reason to be confident.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I think the moment the Sox admitted to being players in the game with these two set sail on the massive disappointments if they don’t land one of them. 

Yes and it was magnified by 100 when we realized that the market for the two whales was extremely limited: Machado (White Sox and Phillies with a distant Yankees third) and Harper (White Sox and Phillies). 

I've shifted my thinking on this over the last couple of months. Regardless of expectations, it really would be a massive disappointment if the White Sox didn't land one of these two players. At any price. With the way they have constructed this team, they should pay whatever it takes to get one of the best players in the game for the 5 years they expect to contend for a World Title. Even if it's a 10-12 year deal where they pay 5 bad years at the end. If they don't land one of them, and end up falling into the 85-90 wins/catch lightning in a bottle pattern they have tried to parlay into relevancy over the last 20 years, I think they really flirt with danger of losing relevance whatsoever. The culture of the casual fan in this town is 100% behind the Cubs baseball wise, and the Bears are good again. If we don't pay through the nose to get one of the best players in the game, in their prime, we're just dumb. And probably fucked. We need to make that kind of splash NOW.

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Come on dude you were sharing Facebook messages like it was 100 percent accurate

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Punctuation is your friend.  Well maybe not yours specifically, but you should get to know him.

Why let this child back on the board if you're just going to heckle him?  Get him the fuck outta here.  The block feature is useless when people keep quoting him.  This is fucking absurd.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Take this for what it’s worth. Not sure how much it will be better than Sox offer, when one would be made. Philly is still not a desired city for both Harpchado.

Here's a fun guess: the Phillies are out and are now telling their fans they tried hard. Has bucket commented on Machado? I find it interesting that he commented on Harper, but the rumors are flying today on Machado. I'm wondering if Machado has agreed to deal with the Sox, and now they are after Harper.

I have been overly optimistic about this whole saga, and, frankly, I don't care if they get either. But the logical landing spot for both has always been the south side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G&T said:

Here's a fun guess: the Phillies are out and are now telling their fans they tried hard. Has bucket commented on Machado? I find it interesting that he commented on Harper, but the rumors are flying today on Machado. I'm wondering if Machado has agreed to deal with the Sox, and now they are after Harper.

I have been overly optimistic about this whole saga, and, frankly, I don't care if they get either. But the logical landing spot for both has always been the south side.

I have been optimistic as well despite all the Clark/Leyritz/Simonetti tweets, but I wouldn't count Phillies out just yet. They're the only team with cash like the Sox (maybe more so) to spend on Harpchardo, and Harper is set to meet with them in Philly. If nothing else, Boras will use the hell out of them to drive up the price on the Sox.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres