Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Simonetti has said the Yanks are going after Ottavino also. He recently retweeted the following:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelRiveraLib/status/1081736911293689856

Can’t trust Simonetti after he claimed Machado to the Yankees was a done deal.  Although he seems to be claiming he broke the Britton signing as well, so who really fucking knows I guess.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can’t trust Simonetti after he claimed Machado to the Yankees was a done deal.  Although he seems to be claiming he broke the Britton signing as well, so who really fucking knows I guess.

He is not ken Rosenthal lol.

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

With the Manny front quiet it sure would be nice to see the SP or bullpen positions strengthened.

I agree, there are other needs to be met for this team outside of manny or Harper but the Sox seem to be just sitting on their hands until at least manny figures out where he’s going 

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

I agree, there are other needs to be met for this team outside of manny or Harper but the Sox seem to be just sitting on their hands until at least manny figures out where he’s going 

They're kinda stuck though because so many of these guys are waiting on Manny and Bryce to move.  And really, we're the kind of team that can wait to pick a lane.  Phillies, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, these teams don't have the luxury we have, which is time.  As odd as it sounds, being shitty is the advantage.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Frustrating, to say the least.

The signing should put Yankees right at Luxury tax territory. So basically every dollar they want to pay Machado would cost them 20% additionally, and every dollar over $20 mil would get additional surtax of 12%.

All in all it’s good news for the Sox. I don’t think the upgrade they get from Andujar to Machado would be worth that kind of premium, unless a team wows them with a cost controlled player for Andujar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The signing should put Yankees right at Luxury tax territory. So basically every dollar they want to pay Machado would cost them 20% additionally, and every dollar over $20 mil would get additional surtax of 12%.

All in all it’s good news for the Sox. I don’t think the upgrade they get from Andujar to Machado would be worth that kind of premium, unless a team wows them with a cost controlled player for Andujar.

Unfortunately it’s the Yankees we are talking about and I really don’t think they care about cash

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

There’s been some suggestions they’re trying to dump Ellsbury, but that seems impossible. 

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

This is a good take and good news. The Yanks are in a position like the cubs. Heyward and Ellsbury are huge albatrosses holding them back. 

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

Yea, the Ellsbury of several years ago maybe, but not the player they have now.

I can't remember where I heard it (might've been that dickhead Chris Russo) that not only is moving him impossible but his career is in jeopardy right now.  His hip is screwed.

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Unfortunately it’s the Yankees we are talking about and I really don’t think they care about cash

That’s a false assumption under this regime. They have been a lot more careful on what they spend their money on and have been focused on player development internally. If they were hesistant to throw big money on Harpchado when they were below luxury tax, they would be less inclined now.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

That’s a false assumption under this regime. They have been a lot more careful on what they spend their money on and have been focused on player development internally. If they were hesistant to throw big money on Harpchado when they were below luxury tax, they would be less inclined now.

I agree with this.  I think this is why the Phillies and White Sox are actually in the position they are in right now.  The traditional FA players are all near the luxury tax and don't want to go over....or at least appear they don't want to.

• Like 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yup, George's kids are cheapskates.  Their revenue has tripled since 2000 yet they spend the same amount as they did back then when the old man was alive.

b9woYgO.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yup, George's kids are cheapskates.  Their revenue has tripled since 2000 yet they spend the same amount as they did back then when the old man was alive.

b9woYgO.jpg

I don't think he was calling the cheapskates.  They are focusing on development and getting more players within, but that doesn't mean they won't spend.  It doesn't need to be one or the other.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres