Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Philly gonna own chicago sports again by signing Machado

It is truly remarkable how little news has come out of philly after their owner opened his mouth about stupid money. Maybe they have their own little easter eggs philly fans are obssessing over like we are, but seems like there has been a lot more concrete movement from sox than from phillies.

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah I don't trust any of those guys anymore. I met WSD during ST last year, and he was a pretty chill dude 1-1 but when he's hanging with his bro buddies he becomes a bit of a douche. 

That seems about right. I know Carl. Good guy in real life, but he obviously did something else last night with his embarrassing Bears rant that went viral. Dave and Carl left their old jobs and are now fulltime at Barstool, and that requires them to get eyeballs. These guys are "media personalities." They are like Howard Stern, Mancow, Dan Bernstein, etc. It's all about creating a character that gets people to pay attention to you because: 1) they agree with you; or 2) they hate everything you're saying. I imagine last night's video will become his new "persona," as it got him something like 5 million views.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't like to jump too far ahead, but is it a given Moncada is the better choice over Anderson to move to 3B.  Moncada's  brief stint in Boston at 3B was not successful.  

Tim can't go to third because he's the new starting catcher so Moncada has to play third.

5 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

That seems about right. I know Carl. Good guy in real life, but he obviously did something else last night with his embarrassing Bears rant that went viral. Dave and Carl left their old jobs and are now fulltime at Barstool, and that requires them to get eyeballs. These guys are "media personalities." They are like Howard Stern, Mancow, Dan Bernstein, etc. It's all about creating a character that gets people to pay attention to you because: 1) they agree with you; or 2) they hate everything you're saying. I imagine last night's video will become his new "persona," as it got him something like 5 million views.

This is all true, it’s their shtick and they have every right to be that way. I do think they do need to dumb it down just a bit though if they want to be taken seriously as a Chicago sports outlet. Good luck landing any Bears interviews with rants like that. There’s certain things you should and should not record yourself saying. Be mad and upset, but be smart about it. The less you look like Chris Russo and Dan Clark the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is all true, it’s their shtick and they have every right to be that way. I do think they do need to dumb it down just a bit though if they want to be taken seriously as a Chicago sports outlet. Good luck landing any Bears interviews with rants like that. There’s certain things you should and should not record yourself saying. Be mad and upset, but be smart about it. The less you look like Chris Russo and Dan Clark the better.

I don't follow Carl on Twitter. I follow Dave, and I was shocked to learn from Carl about Dave having legitimate connections within the Sox now. Dave used to be more militantly anti-Reinsdorf, which I think has completely disappeared from his feed. I remember him ranting about 3 years back that Jerry was a POS and maybe something along the lines of he needs to die or the team won't win until he dies. Either way, wishing death on the owner of a team you cover and calling their kicker a cocksucker in a viral video are bad ways to stay connected with those teams.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So what do we think? Yankees probably at the 5-year, $150 million mark? $30 million per year seems like a good offer? Do we think 7-year, $210 million gets it done, or do we need to go with a big 10-year offer still?

I guess that sounds right? But I still would feel safer going 8/240. Frankly if we sign him for anything under 8/280 i'm elated, if we sign him for 10/300+ i'm still thrilled.

But getting machado without swallowing his age 35 + 36 years would be incredible.

23 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

95% of these guys are all an act, which is almost worst.

12 hours ago, NotHahn said:

Again it was vauge. When I asked if Manny was coming to the Sox he/she said we will see "This Week". Sorry I was not more clear. Just trying not to get my friend fired. And I like the free tickets.

Is he/she really they/them or ze/zir?

4 minutes ago, daggins said:

200 million over what span of time? If the Yankees offer like, 4 years 140MM then that is still an attractive offer.

It's Nightengale though...

I really wonder if players/agents are starting to look differently at the opt-out. Maybe machado/harper are proving this false, but it really feels like they are more likely to get paid more for their 30s years when teams are trying to get their 26-30 years then if they opt out at age 30 and try to get another "mega deal". 

For example (and this one is kinda tough just due to his career), had JD martinez become a FA at 28, I would bet he could have gotten more money for age 30-35 seasons than what he got from Boston.

calculation may be shifting, and if anything the new CbA the players should be demanding being allowed to be paid earlier rather than force more money into the current system. So if I'm an agent I think best move is to take the long term money.

6 minutes ago, daggins said:

200 million over what span of time? If the Yankees offer like, 4 years 140MM then that is still an attractive offer.

It's Nightengale though...

If that Sox are offering close to $250 mil, that would be insane for him to pass up. Any contract he signs will leave his grandkids filthy rich, so he will have no worries about money. But would he bet on himself and leave $100 mil on the table hoping things go well and he's healthy the next four years to cash in? Maybe he improves and hits the market at a better time. Or maybe he Heywards. Really damn risky, and I don't think any 26 year-old would take that risk.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres