Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

19 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

We have no idea whats going on, its purely speculation. But (imo) the Sox have much more to lose missing on Machado than the Yankees do. The Yankees can hunt big time free agents every year.

The idea the Sox would have a 50/50 chance on Machado would have been hard to believe as recently as last off-season. But that seems to be the reality. The Sox just cant let this one slip away. Even if they offered $100mil more and 3 years extra, it wouldnt be the end of the Sox. Those last 3 years are 7 years from now. $30mil wont nearly be as much then.

I just think the Sox seem to be playing with fire and they are the team that will get burnt much worse if they miss. 

Who knows, the high end contracts might be 40+ million per year by then.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

oh man, the hosmer deal. Preller is obviously brilliant at finding international talent (this is undeniable), but I wouldn't trust that dude at all to pull the right acquisitions to build a winner. He's like the polar opposite of Dombrowski.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is awful take.  People need to be patient.  Landing Machado is HUGE and incredibly important to the Sox future, but you don't just throw in $15M extra per season for shits and giggles.  Being conservatively aggressive is the right play, and its very clearly what the Sox are doing.  Being patient sucks, and we all want this process to end, but I will be so much happier and the organization will be in so much better shape to fill out the rest of the roster if MM is signed for 7/$220M than 7/$325M. 

I doubt they can entice him to sign with the White Sox for that amount.  

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I doubt they can entice him to sign with the White Sox for that amount.  

He isn't taking something like 5 years $125-$150M from the Yankees over 7/$210-230M.  

Machado's market isn't what he hoped it would be, and that's partially (mainly?) his own fault.  

He is going to to take whatever the best offer is.  At this point, who knows what that will be.  I still think it'll be somewhere between $250M-$290M frontloaded with opt-outs, personally.  But coming in and blowing the current market away by $100M+ seems............less than prudent at this point in time.  

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Anyone else thinking that these reports of "Teams won't go past 7/210" are some team leaking to try to suppress bids from other squads? 

Could be, I doubt any of the teams involved want to get into an actual bidding war.

If the offers are actually that low, I can't help but feel like a couple more teams would get involved.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anyone else thinking that these reports of "Teams won't go past 7/210" are some team leaking to try to suppress bids from other squads? 

Honestly, no. I think the people actually conducting these negotiations have way more intel and would not base their actions on Twitter reports aimed at fans. Also, Lozano wouldn't let it happen.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He isn't taking something like 5 years $125-$150M from the Yankees over 7/$210-230M.  

Machado's market isn't what he hoped it would be, and that's partially (mainly?) his own fault.  

He is going to to take whatever the best offer is.  At this point, who knows what that will be.  I still think it'll be somewhere between $250M-$290M frontloaded with opt-outs, personally.  But coming in and blowing the current market away by $100M+ seems............less than prudent at this point in time.  

So do I.  Someone will offer him that much and he'll take it -- unless the Sox blow that offer away and offer him $325M.  He's not signing with the White Sox if the offers are close. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Bottom line for me is this:  The White Sox must do whatever it takes to land both Harper and Machado.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Hosmer deal was stupid the minute it was signed.  Machado and Harper are different animals.

True, but they are better. No way Boras or Machado's agent settle for under 8.

8 is the bare minimum. Just my two cents. I'll guess Machado with 9 and Harper with 11.

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's been said time and time again in this thread and in others. It's up to you on what to believe. It's usually the safe bet to believe the guys that get paid for a living to report news, not the "outliers" 

When it comes to rumors, always be skeptical. 

This whole thing just reinforces why I don't like Barstool, but I was under the impression that they were trying to become a more credible outlet for MLB rumors. It seems like WSD does get good info from time to time, at least as far as the Sox go. I didn't think they would make up a blatantly false rumor just for some likes/retweets but I guess I was wrong.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I thought that from the beginning. I believe the Sox might have put out the 7 year line in the sand as an opening offer, fully intending to go 8-10 if necessary. But the dollar amount seemed way too low.

12 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So do I.  Someone will offer him that much and he'll take it -- unless the Sox blow that offer away and offer him $325M.  He's not signing with the White Sox if the offers are close. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Bottom line for me is this:  The White Sox must do whatever it takes to land both Harper and Machado.

You want to pay two players ~$100 million/year combined and think that it would be a wise decision? 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres