Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

They list the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals, Padres and Twins as a few options.

Nats, Cubs, Cardinals and even Dodgers don't make much sense.  Always thought teams like the Padres, Twins, Brewers, and Angels could jump in if the market tanked that much.  But I don't really see any of those teams being a player at the $250M range except for maybe the Padres.  Braves would have made some sense before the Donaldson signing.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Nats, Cubs, Cardinals and even Dodgers don't make much sense.  Always thought teams like the Padres, Twins, Brewers, and Angels could jump in if the market tanked that much.  But I don't really see any of those teams being a player at the $250M range except for maybe the Padres.  Braves would have made some sense before the Donaldson signing.  

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Cubs would be surprising, especially if they don't have the money for Harper.

Cardinals always seem like a team to watch out for.

I dont see the Dodgers unless they plan on moving Turner and insisting that Machado plays 3B.

I am under the impression that Bryce will return to the Nationals, and they already gave Corbin a bunch of money.

I dont see the Padres or Twins unless they throw out offers you simply just cannot refuse.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bruce's article yesterday mentioned that agent sources believed there might be a 4th team.

Don't kill the messenger. I'm simply telling you all what the tweet said.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Padres make sense for either guy, really, and I think @raBBit brought them up for Harper. They have the best farm system in baseball according to most and they have little to no payroll.

Really no reason for the Twins not to be in the race for either guy as well. They're in a similar payroll situation to the White Sox, though their young players will be hitting arb a couple years before ours.  Would be a deviation from their norm to be in play for major FA, but obviously same can be said for the Sox.  

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They list the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals, Padres and Twins as a few options.

Phones probably started ringing for his agent when the rumor of our supposed "best" offer being closer to $200M hit the air waves.  That would open the door for a lot of teams to add a superstar of Machado's caliber on a long-term mega deal.  

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but SoxFest will have no bearing on a transaction of this magnitude.  And if we do in fact land Manchado, he will be the sole focus of the press conference.

I was merely referring to when it might be announced.

4th team "entering" the fray as well as Phillies "re-submitting" and offer means this is close to an end. I'm guessing we'll hear one last scary Yankees rumor about how they're willing to go 8 years now. I think this is actually all good news for the Sox. Basically trying to get them to bump up one more year or a few more million on the AAV before signing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

4th team "entering" the fray as well as Phillies "re-submitting" and offer means this is close to an end. I'm guessing we'll hear one last scary Yankees rumor about how they're willing to go 8 years now. I think this is actually all good news for the Sox. Basically trying to get them to bump up one more year or a few more million on the AAV before signing.

Which it seems like the Sox can do so we should be good.

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I want to believe this to be true, but it scares me.....because not sure how I will handle a big let down at this point.  I have let my hopes get to high already.

3 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I want to believe this to be true, but it scares me.....because not sure how I will handle a big let down at this point.  I have let my hopes get to high already.

Yeah. My hopes have gotten up so high on this that anyone other than Manny at 3B on opening day is a huge letdown (sorry, Yolmer).

• Like 1

Do agents tell straight-up specific lies, or is it more general posturing?

For example, if we have an offer of 7 for $250 on the table, would Lozano try to get us to increase the offer by saying something like, "Philadelphia has an offer on the table of 7 years for $280. You guys willing to go that high?"  (even if no such Philadelphia offer existed)

Or is it more of a vague lie, such as, "Philadelphia has you guys beat right now. What can you increase it to?"

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Seems kinda far-fetched that a random Reddit user would know about a deal of this magnitude before anyone else, but hey, I guess you never know.

Two people on reddit broke the Quintana trade the day before it happened. On the Sox sub. 

Edited by Sockin

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do agents tell straight-up specific lies, or is it more general posturing?

For example, if we have an offer of 7 for $250 on the table, would Lozano try to get us to increase the offer by saying something like, "Philadelphia has an offer on the table of 7 years for $280. You guys willing to go that high?"  (even if no such Philadelphia offer existed)

Or is it more of a vague lie, such as, "Philadelphia has you guys beat right now. What can you increase it to?"

Both could be reasonable. If you were trying to negotiate a lower price on a car you might do the exact same thing - say that you had a better offer on another car, say an exact price in some cases, to see how a dealer responds.

In the end, the salesperson's job is to find a price you'll agree to. If you were asked that by MM, your appropriate response is "If we were willing to do this, would you be willing to agree today", and until you get them to say that there's a deal they will sign you don't make another official offer. The car salesperson should say "If I can get my manager to do that, can we put you in this car today". 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

No he didn’t hint. He said he doesn’t necessarily think it happens tomorrow.

Ya, I don't want to put words in Brian's mouth but I think he was literally just making a statement, not hinting at anything.  Sometimes people look too far into his tweets just hoping for something that's not really there.  

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 2

Just now, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I don't want to put words in Brian's mouth but I think sometimes people look too far into his tweets just hoping for something that's not really there.  

Yeah it was either he really did know something or it was his own wishful thinking that something could happen today (as is should be wrapping up soon).

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres