Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

My hot take is that the Yankees were used to drive the price of Machado up for the White Sox and now Boras is using the Nats to drive up the price of Harper.

All the big money guys will stay in touch until the price gets to high.  

You think the Yanks, Nats, cubs or Dodgers would be on the outside if these guys were going to sign for 7/$210????

My take on Harper is he wanted the cubs the cubs wanted him in the late fall........the cubs could not clear enough salary and when the rumor that there were limited suitors and a lower then expected price tag, the cubs interest popped up and they tried, unsuccessfully to cut their payroll...maybe they are still trying and if so he will go there.  

I just don't see this being dragged out like this if the Yanks, cubs or other prominent team had a decent offer on the table.

Both guys are hoping the Sox, Phils and Nats bid against themselves.

We know that the entire Phillies front office is flying to Vegas to meet with Harper on Saturday.  The flight from Philly to Vegas is something like 6 hours nonstop, so it's certainly possible they are flying out Friday and not returning until Sunday.  Knowing that a Machado decision is coming very soon (within a week per reports), this really doesn't seem like something a front office would do if they were in the middle of finalizing a contract, making arrangements for a physical to be done, and holding a big press conference.

Also, fwiw, Jim Salisbury edited his NBC article to remove the statement that the Phillies were preparing to make another offer to Machado to just say that the Phillies were "in negotiations" with Machado, or something like that.  Seems like a noteworthy edit.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Why can’t KW or Hahn throw us a bone to ease the anxiety? All they have to say is this is a process and processes of this magnitude can take longer than many people hope for. Please be patient and make sure to buy Soxfest tickets. . . Wink, wink!

Because people will be more disappointed if they raise their hope. Haven't you been following the threads. Hahn and KW came out positive, they should be fired if they don't make the deal.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I really really want to believe as well, but not sure how credible a guy with 21 total tweets is

The only reason I *might* believe him is that he is a Yankees fan, so making up a rumor that he is going to the Sox is weird and would make him root against his own interests to be right.

• Like 1

I mean...if we expected it would take 300 million each to sign these guys--600 total...and we were interested in both, as it seems to be the case...if we could get Machado for 240, then Harper for 275, you've got an extra 85 towards Kimbrel's 100???  

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The only reason I *might* believe him is that he is a Yankees fan, so making up a rumor that he is going to the Sox is weird and would make him root against his own interests to be right.

But even then, he could be doing it to get attention. He gains a hundred followers with that, then comes back tomorrow with "Wow, NY isn't out of it. Just heard that the Yanks have stepped up their offer and things are getting VERY close" and then suddenly he gains several hundred more followers. People do that crap all the time. And it goes back to message board and comment sections before the retweet came to be. They get off on creating rumors and acting like insiders so people think they're important.

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

This is kind of where my line of thinking would be.  Although....I wonder who is source would be.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I know this...once Manny signs, I think Harper moves pretty quickly. I think he's waiting to make sure he ends up getting the largest contract in MLB history and Boras wants him to be the last to sign (as part of his normal MO).  

I agree with this 100%.  Machado is hopefully just making sure every stone unturned in this process and will choose promptly to get this ova.

18 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

We know that the entire Phillies front office is flying to Vegas to meet with Harper on Saturday.  The flight from Philly to Vegas is something like 6 hours nonstop, so it's certainly possible they are flying out Friday and not returning until Sunday.  Knowing that a Machado decision is coming very soon (within a week per reports), this really doesn't seem like something a front office would do if they were in the middle of finalizing a contract, making arrangements for a physical to be done, and holding a big press conference.

Also, fwiw, Jim Salisbury edited his NBC article to remove the statement that the Phillies were preparing to make another offer to Machado to just say that the Phillies were "in negotiations" with Machado, or something like that.  Seems like a noteworthy edit.

Yeah this is good info. I have a hard time squaring the phillies seemingly out of nowhere ramping up on harper with them also being really close on Machado. But that doesn't mean they bail out on Machado prior to ink being dry.

I don't know, but it doesn't feel like things are as wrapped up as yesterday, but that could easily be an illusion.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres