Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just can’t get worked up over the plight of unionized labor force with a $500,000 minimum wage and $4,000,000 median salary, not to mention free high end medical benefits. 

If they aren’t making enough, it’s their own damn fault. They have ALL the tools to take care of themselves and decades of precedent doing so. They screwed themselves over in the last CBA a bit for sure, but take a look at salary growth over the last thirty years, both gross and in terms of percentage of revenue. Their union has been one of the strongest in history. They enjoy benefits and protections that most other industries dream of, and get paid ten times more. In what other billion dollar industry does non-executive labor get anywhere CLOSE to the fraction of revenue that players get?

If we want to be outraged about economic equality we need to stop crying about these athletes and turn out rage toward those who actually need it. 

I just can't get worked up to complain about athletes when billionaire owners are taking a progressively larger slice of the earnings over time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

You were making a joke that you think people only trust the positive news and distrust the negative news (a joke I disagree with because I see it more the other way around, but that's beside the point). The positive news came from Bucket, raBBit, and WSD. The negative news came from Nightengale and Levine. That's where I'm coming from

I was literally just reminding myself that it was just two days ago we were getting relevant info. Rowand asked why it was relevant and I made that comment. I'm sorry you disagreed with a joke.

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just can’t get worked up over the plight of unionized labor force with a $500,000 minimum wage and $4,000,000 median salary, not to mention free high end medical benefits. 

If they aren’t making enough, it’s their own damn fault. They have ALL the tools to take care of themselves and decades of precedent doing so. They screwed themselves over in the last CBA a bit for sure, but take a look at salary growth over the last thirty years, both gross and in terms of percentage of revenue. Their union has been one of the strongest in history. They enjoy benefits and protections that most other industries dream of, and get paid ten times more. In what other billion dollar industry does non-executive labor get anywhere CLOSE to the fraction of revenue that players get?

If we want to be outraged about economic equality we need to stop crying about these athletes and turn out rage toward those who actually need it. 

100% agreed and this is what I was I was saying about the parallel between baseball and real life. But as you can see, it is happening everywhere. This is a labor vs. management issue where management continues to be highly exploitative. This is a baseball forum and I acknowledged that this is happening in "real life" where it is much more important. We're not supposed to talk about politics here anymore so I won't go there. 

The difference is that baseball players have a union and can fight back where everyone else doesn't and can't do it unless they band together, but I digress. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Hahn and Klentak should just come to an agreement where the Phillies stop pursuing Machado and the Sox stop pursuing Harper. That way they each get their guy and both teams win. Although that kinda sounds like collusion lol.

Hahn should sign Machado then go hard after Harper, allowing no one to outbid the Sox.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Hahn and Klentak should just come to an agreement where the Phillies stop pursuing Machado and the Sox stop pursuing Harper. That way they each get their guy and both teams win. Although that kinda sounds like collusion lol.

If that's the case I would switch it. I still think Harper would be the better option for the Sox. I'd take either though.

I don't think it's a matter of trust. I think it's that when the mainstream media describes that it took 250M to sign him, that is going to be portrayed via those outlets as having been a more recent offer/decision (when in reality 'official offer' is probably similar to 'chattered offer'). Under this, the Nightengales and the Dave's can all be "right" more or less simultaneously RN

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That is exactly what it would be.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I was literally just reminding myself that it was just two days ago we were getting relevant info. Rowand asked why it was relevant and I made that comment. I'm sorry you disagreed with a joke.

I interpreted your response to Rowand as implying that the relevant info was somehow less reliable than what has come out since but I understand now. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I just can't get worked up to complain about athletes when billionaire owners are taking a progressively larger slice of the earnings over time. 

And where owners demand public financing for everything rather than their own money. Talk about skin in the game.

Yes, more than just the mlb players union need improvements. But it's okay to talk about the mlb players union needing an improvement. Most of these guys did not come from posh backgrounds and developed an incredible skill that we all take joy from and can hope they get the spoils of that.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They have all the risk and investment in the team though. Unless the players agree to some CBA tied to revenues, it's their own agreement. Not that I feel for either side as its billionaire against millionaires. Neither should really complain about income. That's way the "unfairness " of this current situation doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

And where owners demand public financing for everything rather than their own money. Talk about skin in the game.

Yes, more than just the mlb players union need improvements. But it's okay to talk about the mlb players union needing an improvement. Most of these guys did not come from posh backgrounds and developed an incredible skill that we all take joy from and can hope they get the spoils of that.

Not to mention that talking politics has been banned from this site. I made allusions to real-life problems, but we're not allowed to discuss them anymore. What can I do? There are so many parallels going on between the economics of baseball and what is happening to everyone here that it isn't funny. There is much more money involved individually for the baseball players because the pool of talent is smaller. We're allowed to talk about the MLBPA, we aren't about our own jobs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If that's the case I would switch it. I still think Harper would be the better option for the Sox. I'd take either though.

I used to be all-in on the Harper hype train, but I think Manny is a better fit for the Sox. Barring something catastrophic, we should be able to pencil in Eloy and Robert for 2 of the 3 outfield spots moving forward. And then the Sox have several other guys that could win the other job (most likely RF if Eloy is in LF and Robert plays CF). They have very few if any good 3rd base prospects heading forward though. Being able to have Machado at that position would be absolutely huge.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

@Whitesox27

I saw a post on your Twitter yesterday that appeared to be a screengrab of Machado's instagram story that showed him in the Chicago airport? Was that actually in the case?  Were you able to dig any deeper on that?  

I follow machado on instagram, I didn't see that. He had a neon sign that was in a bedroom/house that said skys the limit. Now it's a pic from the WBC with some Dr teammates. 

any of those teammates white sox now?  I'll try to post it.

I'm worried about this 200 million thing. It could be a smokescreen, but every time I've though that, it appears to be true a few days later. 

If it's true worst case, 200 million gets you laughed out of the room shortly. 

Best case, 200 gets it done and there's 0 chance there isn't a strike.

Just now, bmags said:

I follow machado on instagram, I didn't see that. He had a neon sign that was in a bedroom/house that said skys the limit. Now it's a pic from the WBC with some Dr teammates. 

any of those teammates white sox now?  I'll try to post it.

Correct, I am referring to that neon sign.  But Mike seemed to indicate that that sign was in one of the Chicago airports (I don't know one way or the other).  Didn't see it blow up, so figured it wasn't accurate, but wanted to ask. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't fault the owners for trying to get public financing.  It's a great business move. I fault the idiot politicians for giving it to them.

The players may not have the skills but they make enough money to hire the lawyers that do as a unionl

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm worried about this 200 million thing. It could be a smokescreen, but every time I've though that, it appears to be true a few days later. 

If it's true worst case, 200 million gets you laughed out of the room shortly. 

Best case, 200 gets it done and there's 0 chance there isn't a strike.

There's just no way that the Sox have come this far and tried this hard to suddenly decide they aren't offering more than $X. It's possible they've had a number that they won't cross from the start, but there's pretty much no chance that the number is 200 because they wouldn't even be a true contender in that event. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Correct, I am referring to that neon sign.  But Mike seemed to indicate that that sign was in one of the Chicago airports (I don't know one way or the other).  Didn't see it blow up, so figured it wasn't accurate, but wanted to ask. 

Oh sorry.

I think the connection he may have drawn is that the big neon walkway in o'hare is called "sky's the limit". I don't believe there is a neon sign anywhere saying that though, but I could be wrong! I've never been in the fancy lounges.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres