Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I don’t know what I was expecting Jay to say regarding Machado, I just hoped it would be a little more upbeat. Maybe going more of the Alonso route. By the way that Jay talked about Machado, I almost got the vibe that he was not trying to get fans hopes up. 

Maybe that’s just me. This whole process has been tiring and I’m grasping at just about anything.

Just now, ptatc said:

That's the modern social media. 

Wouldn't you think most everyone, including Jay, knows why the Sox signed him? I understand not wanting him to be introduced as part of the plan to produce Machado, but does he have to say he's been after him for years? 

He's been readily available, and not exactly expensive.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I follow machado on instagram, I didn't see that. He had a neon sign that was in a bedroom/house that said skys the limit. Now it's a pic from the WBC with some Dr teammates. 

any of those teammates white sox now?  I'll try to post it.

A little late on the response to this but yes and I posted this long ago Colome and Nova both were team mates on that DR team.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn't you think most everyone, including Jay, knows why the Sox signed him? I understand not wanting him to be introduced as part of the plan to produce Machado, but does he have to say he's been after him for years? 

He's been readily available, and not exactly expensive.

I think he does need to say it. He can't be quiet about it, fans want transparency  and he can't  tell the truth.  It's better just to say the company line, even if no one believes it.

• Thanks 1

Everyone knows why Jon Jay was signed, him coming out and saying it doesn’t matter, it will look better saying the company line if Machado goes elsewhere because you are going to have the people with pitchforks coming out at that point regardless, no need to add even more to that mix 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think he does need to say it. He can't be quiet about it, fans want transparency  and he can't  tell the truth.  It's better just to say the company line, even if no one believes it.

But, why have a phone conference.?You know what the questions are going to be, and Jay isn't going to be talking about himself.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Counter punch by Machado's agent.

I really don't think so. I actually don't think the Yankees will ever be "out". I believe they propose what they're willing to do and that's that.  If Machado wants to join the Yankees, it will likely have to be on their terms. Maybe that changes, but by all accounts, they are set on the number of years they are willing to go with him. As of now, the number of years falls short.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably something like: I'd love to have Manny here with me and Yonder but Manny will do what's best for him and his family . He's a great guy and I will continue to be his friend no matter where he signs.

Not sure I'd call that interesting.

32 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I came pretty close to what he actually said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

But, why have a phone conference.?You know what the questions are going to be, and Jay isn't going to be talking about himself.

True but its protocol to have at least a conference call with signings so the press can ask their questions and get a reaction from the GM. If not, you know all the reporters would be calling and would comment on his lack of access. Better to just give the company line and they will leave it alone. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think we've learned the following from this thread: The fans either want full transparency, or don't tell us a damn thing until the ink is dry on the contract or the deal is done on a trade. The bullshit rumors have to stop. 

Rumors are fun when they don't go on and on for months. NFL, NBA, NHL free agent rumors. MLB, NHL, NBA trade deadline rumors, all a good time even if they are BS. The problem is there is more BS in one of these signings than there is for the other leagues as a whole, and most of what you hear in the NBA is BS.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Did they have one for McCann?

There were 2 events on December 15 - the McCann signing and the Alonso trade and Hahn had a press conference call that day for the articles in the paper in the morning. You can probably guess what most of the questions were about, but there were some quotes in the articles talking about the young catchers. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

But it's up to you what you want to do with said rumor. If you chose to not really pay attention and just wait until an announcement comes out, the "bullshit rumors" don't really to mean much, right? 

As a fan of any team, that is easier said than done. Especially when you are talking record deals. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres