Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I do not know how reliable and in the know this person is, but I have heard from one of the Sox Board Members/Board of Directors as recent as yesterday saying the Sox are heavily in on Harper and one of their biggest competitors for him is the Cinicinnati Reds. 

I know. Hard to believe but that’s what he said.  🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

I do not know how reliable and in the know this person is, but I have heard from one of the Sox Board Members/Board of Directors as recent as yesterday saying the Sox are heavily in on Harper and one of their biggest competitors for him is the Cinicinnati Reds. 

lol the entire time we're over here worrying about the Dodgers in that trade and the Reds are the ones that might be going for him.

3 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

I could believe that and that’s why they want to offer machado a lower amount to give Harper more. But that’s been my guess all along. I think both is more possible then we all think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

This would make more sense to me.  He’s seems like such a better positional and marketing fit

It would be nice to pull off a miracle and them both. Would be a big suck it to all the media and mlb network... That would put us on the map and the worls will know now the sox are serious........ 

But that was just a dream...... But that was just a dream.....

17 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah its speculative garbage.  No news, just that you can never count the sneaky empire out.

Uh, what? It’s a good article, but it’s just analysis on how the Yankees can use their infield. Rosenthal writes columns, his job isn’t only to break news.

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If that is true, what if all this hubbub about Machado is distracting everyone from the fact that the Sox are going after Harper instead?

*mind blown*

Going to keep saying it, i truly think they are going for, and are *seriously* in on both. We as Sox fans expect nothing like this to ever happen but this would rejuvenate the entire franchise and fan base. JR wants to make a splash before he dies. 

Again i could totally be wrong lol

• Like 2

The NL Central and AL Central would almost be diametrically opposed if Harper went to the Reds.

Just goes to show how fleeting a competitive window can be, no matter how promising things looked back in 2016 for the Cubs.

Still hard to believe Harper would actually go there, though.  Other than KC/Cle/Mil, you’re talking about one of the smallest media markets in the league.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2016/10/19/reds-fox-sports-ohio-extend-partnership-through-2032/92418972/

That said, the Reds signed their own new broadcasting rights deal after 2017, going all the way through 2032.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

If that is true, what if all this hubbub about Machado is distracting everyone from the fact that the Sox are going after Harper instead?

*mind blown*

I don’t think you get Alonso and Jay without being committed to landing Machado, but I really do believe they are trying to get Machado at enough of a discount to make a serious push for Harper as well. 

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

*mind blown*

They wouldn't have traded for Alonso and signed Jay is they didn't want Machado.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

*mind blown*

I think 99% of what you read is fake. Especially numbers. Hahn an co do not leak and keep everything tight to the vest. I'm sure that the Sox are also going after Machado. I mean one does not trade for and sign Yonder/Jay to not try to sign Manny.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Uh, what? It’s a good article, but it’s just analysis on how the Yankees can use their infield. Rosenthal writes columns, his job isn’t only to break news.

He wasn't working on any new information is all I meant.  Rosenthal is a hell of an analyst, just not the info we're looking for.

15 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

A major contributing factor to how this has drawn itself out this long is that one team (White Sox) is still totally committed to getting both. Its hard for Harper or Machado's agent to sign, knowing full well that the Sox are doing everything they can to save their pennies and also land the other whale, but at the same time the Sox are never letting themselves fall behind in the bidding so there's no cause to go to New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Cincinnati (?!) etc..

This could be bullshit but to me its very plausible bullshit and one of the few logical explanations for how this thing has dragged out. Everytime the Sox think they've got one of Harper or Machado wrangled the other slides out of pocket and they are caught playing catch-up on the second front, then once that process completes itself the reverse plays itself out. Round and round.

25 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Anyone else afraid that if Harper goes back to the Nationals (or any team besides the Phillies) that the Phillies will just drop the motherload offer on Machado?

Nah because I truly believe Machado will sign well before Harper. 

I'd guess Machado signs next week & Harper will follow a week or two after.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres