Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see why it matters what these other clubs did.  The Royals had to suck for a decade to amass the talent they did.  The Cubs & Astros basically hit on 90% of their moves, which is not a realistic expectation.  And the Cubs still spent a ton of money on Heyward, Zobrist, Lester, Lackey, etc.  We need to do what’s best for us right now, not what has worked for other teams in the past.

The Cubs and Astros absolutely did not hit on 90% of their moves. The Astros are my constant example of how rebuilding works even when you make a ton of mistakes in the draft. Aiken, Mark Appel over Bryant, they had 3 straight #1 picks and have 1 player out of them.

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
Creeps in this petty place from day today
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
the way to dusty death
Out, out brief candle
Life's but a walking shadow
A poor player that struts and frets its hour upon the stage and is heard no more
It is a tale told by an idiot
Full of sound and Fury

Signifying nothing

I trust you'll understand the reference to another Scottish tragedy without my having to name the play.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Cubs and Astros absolutely did not hit on 90% of their moves. The Astros are my constant example of how rebuilding works even when you make a ton of mistakes in the draft. Aiken, Mark Appel over Bryant, they had 3 straight #1 picks and have 1 player out of them.

Didn’t they get Bregman with the pick they got for not signing Aiken?  That worked out pretty well.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Aiken got them Bergman bro, who just put a 7.6 win season (god I really wanted him for Sale).  That’s a gigantic fucking win for them and you trying to suggest otherwise is manipulation at it’s finest.  Passing on Bryant was a huge miss and there is no doubting that.  But other than the Gomez deal, have there really been any other deals that were legit bad?  Luhnow literally has stolen a ton of quality players (Marwin, Devinski, Alvarez, etc.), drafted incredibly well, and build a strong LatAm pipeline.  I stand by my statement they’ve hit on the vast majority of their moves.

The same applies for the Cubs.  They literally hit on almost every draft pick for an extended period of time, made an absolute killing in LatAm (Eloy & Torres in the same class...holy fuck), built a championship rotation with zero in-house guys, made numerous trades in which they were the clear winner, and added several high end free agents that played integral roles in winning a World Series.  Of course they had some misses (Heyward, Jackson, etc.) but again the vast majority of their moves worked.

Look at most teams draft, trade, and free agency histories and they’d be FAR worst.  The Cubs & Astros have been without question amongst the elite in terms of talent evaluation.  You are kidding yourself if you suggest otherwise, unless you are fixated on an arbitrary percentage I threw out there.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

More like "beat on the beat with a baseball bat" as the posters here will go after Hahn and KW.

Oh boy you are not kidding. The fall out will be epic if one of them isn't signed. Already blown the dust off my hazmat suit just in case.

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Just because there's literally nothing else to talk about right now, if you're the Sox, would you give Machado 12 years and $350 million like the Phillies are rumored to be offering Harper today? 

No.

If Phillies sign Harper for that much they most likely shift to pitching and we can get Manny for 8/270 since no competition

Edited by EloyJenkins

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres