Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Let's hope that if he's signed, that his influence will be of a positive nature. Sure, he is a great player, but not much of a role model, otherwise. Is there anything that suggests that he is a good mentor to younger players?

IF he is signed...that dynamic between Manny and Jimenez will be interesting to watch.   Jimenez will be a star in his own right...so I wonder how they'll coexist in a few years.

13 minutes ago, The Sir said:

That would definitely be a solid conversation starter. Better than asking someone if they have a green card. No joke, I did that once.

I lived in a southern border town, and at a bar one night, my friend introduced me to these girls and mentioned they were from the Mexican city on the other side of the river. I wasn't trying to be rude, racist, or drive some political agenda; I just thought it was an interesting topic and I was curious how long-term movement between the two cities worked. So I asked if they had green cards or what. Apparently, that's super offensive.

I'm probably on some sort of spectrum. Doesn't ruin my social life; just makes basic etiquette and social norms totally invisible to me.

I feel like I might be the same, though it might also just be more of an anxiety. Social interactions are hard and tiring and I almost always find myself looking back and realizing I shouldn't have said something I said. 

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Let's hope that if he's signed, that his influence will be of a positive nature. Sure, he is a great player, but not much of a role model, otherwise. Is there anything that suggests that he is a good mentor to younger players?

His past teammates have said things of that nature about him

7 minutes ago, Wanne said:

IF he is signed...that dynamic between Manny and Jimenez will be interesting to watch.   Jimenez will be a star in his own right...so I wonder how they'll coexist in a few years.

Counter balancing Manny's questionable character might be the most constructive effect of having Jay and Alonso on the team. They are both model "citizens" and could help keep Manny in line. In any case, I would look more to them and Abreu to help mold the young Latinos, like Robert, Moncada and Jimenez. Maybe all of them will help Machado to mature a little. After all, he is pretty young, himself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I feel like I might be the same, though it might also just be more of an anxiety. Social interactions are hard and tiring and I almost always find myself looking back and realizing I shouldn't have said something I said. 

I get ya. I don't know if I would say social interactions are hard or tiring, but I definitely find myself reviewing them later on as to whether I handled them all right. I certainly don't long for social activity- in my current job situation, I'm basically away from home and living super long term in a hotel. I like to FaceTime the wife and kids, and if the only other person I see on a weekend is the housekeeper, I'm perfectly OK with that.

• Like 1

This team would be loaded with very likable, seemingly "nice" guys. They also happen to almost all be Latinos. It's easy to see them "rubbing off" on Manny. There doesn't seem to be a "bad egg" in the bunch. The more I think about it, the more I like having the veteran guys, like Abreu, Jay and Alonso around. Throw in Yolmer's infectious personality and Machado might just become a nice guy, himself, just to fit in. LOL. There's nothing wrong with playing with a "chip on your shoulder" but throwing bats, in retaliation for a dust back pitch and kicking first basemen's ankles is carrying that chip a little too far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, timbo8 said:

let get this deal done i'm so pumped up right now that philly blew the football 

I don't care if we're totally contention ready in 2019, but if we get Machado, I will totally buy MLBTV and make a point to watch every day (haven't lived in Chicago since I was a kid, so buying a jersey and attending games really isn't a thing for me).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

His past teammates have said things of that nature about him

Yep. Delmonico raved about him when they were teammates for the under 18 team. Timmy follows him on IG and have interacted off the field as well. You may not like how he plays the game, but that has nothing to do with him as a person. 

Edited by SoxAce

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That article is good but signing him to a deal in which he can opt out after 3 years makes zero sense for the Sox.

You havent been married, have you? Lol Sometimes to get something you want, you have to give up something in return. Even if what you get is miniscule. It's a rough world.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yep. Delmonico raved about him when they were teammates for the under 18 team. Timmy follows him on IG and have interacted off the field as well. You may not like how he plays the game, but that has nothing to do with him as a person. 

Exactly, it's all media. You can take exception to what he does on the field but it's well-documented that he's a good clubhouse guy

8 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

let get this deal done i'm so pumped up right now that philly blew the football 

yeah...I get that...but hardly feels like vindication blowing that game last week.  I will say tho...suck it Alshon and your smug-ass goodbye wave last week.

3 hours ago, Kpet1010 said:

Can one of our big sources on this board confirm that Sox are still in on Harper even after possibly signing machado?

I want both. I want bothhhhh

Not sure if I would consider my source as big. normal size source. Yes still in on Harper. They said the same thing as the Phillies when they met with Harper. Very impressed with Harper and family. Harper is very involved in community activities and charities. Haper is running things not Boras. 

16 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That article is good but signing him to a deal in which he can opt out after 3 years makes zero sense for the Sox.

As I said, I think it’ll be a bit of a novel approach. I don’t anticipate it being your standard opt-out. I think it’ll be tied to some kind of team performance or something. 

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Enjoy watching him in Philly then. Beggars can't be choosers 

I don't see the Sox being that good next year even if they did get Manny, and 2020 is somewhat up in the air at this point given Kopech's injury among other things. The Sox would have him for 1, maybe 2 years (if they're lucky) when they're actually a competitive team. I mean obviously I'd take that over not getting him at all but a 3 year deal is nowhere near as appealing as something longer term. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres